Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Some Cold Weather Riding Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Some Cold Weather Riding Advice Needed

If your left hand gets cold (not so much the right due to throttle), I will sometimes tuck in and put my left hand on the engine to warm it up quick.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:06 PM

Dress your like your gonna go snow skiing

Thats what i used for my last ride before I shelved her for the winter...ski pants, ski gloves, ski jacket

Did 100 + for a few stretches with no problems

Old 12-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High 30s to low 40s doesn`t sound too bad. Wear a balaclava, dress in layers. Your only real problem will be keeping your hands warm while allowing enough dexterity to operate the controls.

Wear silk or polypropelene glove liners under your gloves if they fit without cutting off circulation. If you really want to make sure you're comfortable, these handlebar covers look great. The local Chinese restaurant delivery guys, who are out on their scooters in all weather,outfit their scooters with homemade handlebar covers made from plastic grocery bags.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: compulady5

good advice peeps..

Junk, which AV are you referring to? the paris hilton joke one or the self pic I took in the mirror? My Woot guy isn't satisfying? LOL
I was thinking of the mirror pic... it's tough on this forum when you keep changing your avi cause people recognize you more due to the pic than the name, lol. Most people announce when they are changin them because people will be like, "Where did it go?" Like I just did to you...lol.

Shocktroop, your nuts man. It was too cold to take the car this morning to work here, lol. Seriously, it wouldn't start it was so cold, I had to pop it.

Hopefully we can meet up for some rides in the spring when my boys grow back, lol.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

didnt feel like reading through ALL the replies so im just gonna respond.

layering up is what to do, but its what KIND of layers you put on. too many layers and you wont be able to move a bit and the ride will be unsafe and miserable.

gloves........best thing i've found are A* Drystar gloves and some glove liners form any local army surplus/hunting store.

try to keep the layers even. if you get, lets say your wrists cold........it WILL slowly creep up your arms and so on, so try to keep your layers even.

down something warm/hot before you go out. get some hot cider, hot choc. and you'll notice it will take significantly longer for the cold to bother you. also, take a break and repeat.

hope that was helpful, be safe and have fun! (also, props to you...........we'll get you a badge for 'year 'round rider'.........welcome to the club!) i refuse to let my bikes be garage queens

Old 12-08-2008, 05:53 PM

wind proof is most important, good leather is much better then textile. I imagine grip warmers are a god send but i have never used them.

for pants, if you don't have riding pants i imagine long johns under jeans then windbreaker pants would be fine.

layers are good, but don't make your self into a marsh mellow that can't move.

air goes right through things like cotton, so all the layers of sweaters are not going to do you any good if air is getting in though your jacket.

focus on areas where air gets in like you neck and wrists.

i would look into cold weather specific gloves to, most riding glove i have seen just don't seem to cut it.

take in mind i live in Florida, but it does get below freezing here and i have been riding in the coldest we have.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest point is layers. The two most important layers are inner and outer. Outer needs to be wind proof. Inner needs to be a wicking material - for ski racing it was a lycra type product. Wicks moisture away from the body quickly - if you sweat in the minutes getting bundled up you will be cold very quickly - as a result, hot drinks can be more of a problem, then a benefit.

Stopping air flow will go a long way - so your neck gator is a good thing. The next is good gloves.

One final note - if your body core is warm, then it can dump heat to the limbs. If you get slightly cool in your core, your body will shut down flow to the limbs, and you will have ice cold hands/feet. This is why a heated vest will do more good for you than heated grips. Both is better... but if you had to pick one, the vest is great (the grips can be more convient for sure)

If you were a balaclava, it's good to have a spare helmet, or keep it very thin. You will stretch your helmet out and it won't fit without hte balacalva otherwise... seriously, my first helmet is now my winter helmet. It doesn't fit without my thick winter gear. If you are inclinded to sew, make an all in one balaclava, neck and bib... that'll be the best you can get. Cover the front of your neck in a double layer, or a windproof material and you'll be rocking .

Old 12-08-2008, 09:54 PM
VP

Andie,

I went out on Saturday morning, around 9 oclock...it was 29 outside when I left.

I wore a long tshirt that would stay tucked in, a light sweater, a hoodie, a windproof jacket, and my leather jacket with the liner in. On bottom, I wore 2 pairs of heavy socks, my full length pajama bottoms and jeans with over the ankle boots.

Also wore long leather gloves (into the jacket) and another pair of wool gloves underneath (you can get great wind proof gloves from cycle gear for $25 to wear under your regular gloves).

Of course, to top it off was a windproof balaclava (I think it was $40 at cycle gear...totallyw worth it) and my helmet.

After about 5 hours of riding the only thing cold were my hands, and to be honest I didn't really even mind on the highway, it was the stop and go that was punishing.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I rode in 2c cold recently, distance 200 miles.At speed the windchill factor was freezing the water I used to clean the screen and visor......[X(]
Wear your rain gear over your normal kit. It's windproof, and does a good job of keeping out the cold.Thermal inner gloves are cheap and effective.
Pantyhose as a headstocking works well to keep your head warm under the helmet.Keeps ears warm too.
Stop every 50 miles or so to keep circulation going in the legs - I've seen people fall over when they stop due to frozen legs !
Remember - thin layers of clothing work better than one thick layer.
Watch out for misting in your visor.........
Two pairs of thin socks works well, keeps the toes toasty warm !

Quick Reply: Some Cold Weather Riding Advice Needed