Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Some Cold Weather Riding Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Some Cold Weather Riding Advice Needed

Andie, cant you just stay in bed instead?? ..lol

Do you have to do this trip or is it purely for pleasure, I just cant see any pleasure in freezing my bits off this time of year on such a long trip ... I remember commuting to work (only 15 miles) and being like ice when I got there ... heated grips are a must, I always found that the worst, cold hands and then the pain in my fingers as they warmed up again ...also that whole body chill feeling, right down to the bone ..takes all day to warm up ..sorry I will stop now ..lol

Jules

PS, dont go!!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

overpants would be a must for me, currently I use snowboarding pants, wind resistant and they have a thermal layer, problem is they will melt instantly if they hit the ground at speed, I would wear sweats and jeans under that for a 300 mile trip. Long sleeve shirt, sweat shirt and a leather or texile armor jacket. Baklava are awesome, I use one anytime I'm riding upnder 50degrees, but I get alot of wind whipping up under my helmet. I bought a set of thick joe rocket leather gloves, their thin on the palm for ease of control, I wear a underglove when it drops being 30 though

Old 12-08-2008, 09:24 AM

I've ridden in the cold, don't like it much though. Many layers are a must... but it's where the joints in your clothes are that are the worst... wrists, neck, face, ankles and such... to me it's not worth freezing all day over. Besides, now is the time where the bike is in pieces because I can't ride, and it's time to mod, mod, mod!! And taking some time off makes me appreciate when I do ride more, and gives my mom a break from worrying I'm going to die all the time, lol.

Jules, is freezing your "bits" off the same as freezing your ti... ... ummmmm ... never mind, lol. I think I get it...

And Andie, were did your pic avatar go?

Old 12-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Take the car, best advice i can give you.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:44 AM

I'm up here in CT and when I left for work this morning it was 14 degrees without the wind chill factored in. It snowed yesterday and everything is frozen over but they do a pretty good job of keeping the roads clear. I was gonna take the XT225 but it was so cold it wouldn't start, I killed the battery trying. Sooooo fired up the CBR. When its this cold all my bikes run like ****. For surviving the cold, I wear long-johns under my uniform and a fleece under my Navy issue utility jacket. I have heated Hand-grips, they are a life saver. I ride in a few miles so bundleing up isn't a factor as I can survive the short trp pretty easily, but out riding the XT in the snow on the trails, I got a Wall Blizzard suit. Its just a pair of coveralls made for construction workers for cold weather. Ugly as hell but it works, wind and water resistant, and I wear a big pair of ski-gloves, but the XT has heated grips also, and bark-busters, that helps too. For your situation if its a one time thing, I couldn't justify buying $$$$ gear for the one or two times you might take a trip in the cold, see if you can borrow some gear? I have loaned out gear to guys who don't ride much and didn't have poper gear. I also have a feildsheer pants and jacket thats waterproof and lined thats really decent and affordable. Heated grips are only 30.00 and take about an hour to install, once you have them you'll wonder how you ever lived without them. Or, go to a sporting goods store and get some hand warmers. I like the kind that you expose to the air for about 30min to activate them then slip them in my gloves, works well for those long days of trail riding when its brutally cold and I'm gonna be on the bike for a long time out in the trails. For a 300mi trip though at freeway speeds, I wouldn't think anything would work except for gear that was made specifically for that purpose.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:56 AM

no good advise here.. I just put on a couple layers then freeze my *** off til im numb. then keep going. i woke up this morning it was 13F I rode through about 24F and froze my tittes off.

oh yea awesome african grey.. got one myself

Quick Reply: Some Cold Weather Riding Advice Needed