Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

some advice on insurance please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some advice on insurance please.

Hey guys this is what i got right now:

Liability 25/50/25 $211.16
UM 25/50 $40.62
UMPD $9.35
CGDD -$65.29
NET PREM $261.13
TOTAL 6 MONTH PREM $261.13
MONTHLY PREMIUM $43.52

From what i know:
Liability - this covers the bills if the damage is my fault
UM - This covers my own self if the person who at fault does not have enough to cover me
UMPD - same as above but for property
GCDD - dont know what the heck this is

So i can add comprehensive to my insurance for only $70 more per 6month premium. pretty sweet! not going to do collision tho as my bike is pretty old and low in value.

Anyways, what i wanted to ask is if it would be wise to just raise my UM. i figured my bike probably wont be doing much damage to anyone else so liability isnt as important, but i can get hurt rather easily so UM would be much more important. I was thinking of raising it to the 100k/300k it would cost only $30 per 6month.

what do you folks think? money is tight thats why im not going ***** out and raising everything. just want it where it matters most .

Old 05-27-2009, 09:39 PM

If you have health insurance your covered! Comprehensive is a good idea, covers vandalism, theft, hitting an animal (deer), fire, etc. I am not sure what the acronym cgdd is? Maybe it is for UNDERinsured as opposed to UNinsured, I do have both of these on mine. Maybe different states require different coverages. I have found Progressive to be the most reasonable for my bike. Good luck!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mako
If you have health insurance your covered! Comprehensive is a good idea, covers vandalism, theft, hitting an animal (deer), fire, etc. I am not sure what the acronym cgdd is? Maybe it is for UNDERinsured as opposed to UNinsured, I do have both of these on mine. Maybe different states require different coverages. I have found Progressive to be the most reasonable for my bike. Good luck!
hi. thank you for the feed back. Progressive would also be cheaper for me, but right now i do not have a license, only a permit so progressive is more expensive. Once i get my M1 i would probably switch to progressive.

one more question though, so im hearing all these stories about guys who get hit by cagers and have a 60k hospital bill. If this were to happen to me(god forbid), would I be covered by my UM?

Old 05-28-2009, 03:42 AM

also try Progressive Direct...its a different branch then Progressive but a bit cheaper!

Old 05-28-2009, 07:08 AM

If you have health coverage through work or wife etc. then the hospitalization is covered.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:48 AM
BAR

The 3 ways to lower insurance significantly are as follows:

1.) Lo jack. I realize that the debate weather or not it's worth it will go on forever, but I'll give you some facts.

- Lo jack is a stolen vehicle recovery system.
- Cost is between $500 - $800 one time fee as far as I know.
- It is placed on an inconspicuous part of the bike and once the bike is reported stolen, the transmitter is turned on sending a signal to the network of computers which are searching for the beacon.
- Most vehicles are recovered with in 24 hours.
- Not all police cruisers are Lo jack equipped, only a select few on every force have the Lo jack equipment to locate your stolen bike.
- Your insurance (Progressive for sure) goes down up to 20%

2.) Motorcycle endorsement on your license. Some facts.. take for what it's worth.

- Having passed your states drivers test for motorcycles, is you endorsement for riding a motorcycle.
- This is good for a small discount on your insurance (progressive discounts for endorsements.)
- Your insurance company may or may not have asked you in the beginning if you hold your endorsement, be sure to make sure they know you have it.

3.) Rider Education course, approved by your local authorities. (Do your homework, go to a local bike shop and ask how to sign up for a course thats approved.)

- You will learn your basic skills.
- Your insurance will be discounted with most all insurers (progressive definitely)
- You can opt to take such a course to remove 2 points from your license if you need to to decrease insurance rates further if you have a blemish.
- Cost is between Free - $350 for all states I have heard of thus far. Pennsylvania, is free. NJ www.renj.com is $250.00 for comparison.
- In some states such as NJ if you pass the skills test for driving, and written you are offered an exemption to the state administered driving test and go from permit - license with out taking another test.
- If you take this course once ever 2 years (they have basic, and advanced courses) you will retain that discount you are getting on your insurance.

Those are the 3 items which I know for a fact save you some scratch, and possibly a headache down the road.

PIP - personal injury protection is required in a lot of states, which covers you in the event of an accident. Ask your policy holder if you have PIP coverage. Lower the limit to the state minimum, with the highest possible deductible if you have health coverage through your place of employment.

As for minimum coverages on your bike - Liability which is required by law, and Comprehensive are the minimum any cyclist should carry on their bike. This is my personal opinion, but more a wise investment on your part.

Comp as somebody else mentioned covers the things you hope never happen, but always end up happening just when you thought "that will never be me."

- Stolen bike, act of god, animals, drop it by accident etc.

Insurance may seem like a rip off - until you actually need it for something. Pay to play is how it goes! Good luck.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mako
If you have health coverage through work or wife etc. then the hospitalization is covered.
i do not have health insurance....im going to ask my agent on what i can do concerning medical stuff. thanks for the help guys!

Old 05-28-2009, 05:04 PM

Hey guys. So i talked to my agent today. I raised my liability/um to 50k/100k and i added comprehension with a deductible of $250. I am paying $68/month. i guess that isnt so bad. I was paying about $45 before all that, so about $23 more a month I can stop being so paranoid about my bike being stolen and i got to double my Liab/UM coverage.

my insurance company does not offer any form of personal injury protection so i am going to have to look else where for that.

Quick Reply: some advice on insurance please.