Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Sold the 954rr

Old 03-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sold the 954rr

I just sold my red and black 954. It was a little rashed up and had no front cowl. The guy I sold it to was the biggest D bag in this state. Do you ever feel bad about selling a bike to someone who you know will get hurt? I mean this guy is late 30's wife divorced him so he is getting a rocket, a nice mild 954 it's -1/+1. I was explaining everything with it and he wasn't even paying attention. He stalled it three times got it going and pulled it up in second his sunglasses flew off. I turned and just looked at the money in my hand. He came back and said I'll take it. Where is the fuel petcock? I say it's fuel injected and he says ok so....?? He isn't long for this world on that bike, I kind of feel bad because there is no doubt in my mind something will happen to him or the bike. Ever happen to you guys?

Old 03-21-2009, 06:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cant feel bad about it. Your can't protect people from their own mistakes. You can explain how fast the bike is and he needs to take it easy, beyond that, its out of your hands. If he doesnt heed your warnings, dont feel guilty if he does get hurt. If you were talking about some 16 year old kid, thats a different story.

I almost had a similar story. I was going to sell my bike last year and this Dbag came to look at it. Always rode harleys and his chunky wife was going to ride my bike. Both of them were extremely cocky in how great of riders they were. She had ridden a sportser so she could handle anything. I tried explaining that this was not a sportser and was a fast bike. They both kind of grinned and said, well its only a 1000cc's right? I just shook my head and tried to explain the difference as they obvioulsy didnt realize the difference in a sport bike to a cruiser. I would have sold them the bike just so it would wipe the stupid grin off their faces. but the Dbag tried to low ball me with a 2500 dollar offer. It was listed for 7000, and he came to look at it for 7000, but he has a buddy, ( dont they all), that can get him a newer model with less miles for 3500.. I look at the guy and said, " Then why are you here?, Guess its time for you to go to your buddy, see ya later". He kept trying to offer more and more money, He made it all the way up to 5 grand that day, I still said no way. He then later called and offered me the 7 grand for it. I decided not to sell it to him just on the fact of him pissing me off with the low offer. I even told him on the phone thats the reason why I'm not selling it, he pissed me off and to go buy the one from his buddy. Im glad I kept it anyway, its now paid off and I won't have to sell it.

anyway, anything that may happen is not your fault. Douchebags are everywhere and we can't feel responsible for their stupidity.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:33 PM

How much did you get for it? If you don't mind me askin, I was just curious because I have thought about going from my F4i to a 954 but everyone around here in my neck of the woods thinks that there 6-7 year old bikes are still worth $6500-$7000. I just see dropping that kind a cash for a used bike when I can spend another $2500 -$3000 and get a brand new bike.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was beat up, salvage title, no front cowl, but ran good. I got $2000 plus a'99 kx250 in great shape. It looks like its been rode twice. I just bought another 954. It is a 10 out of 10 great shape, 2bros exhaust, steering damper, and PCIII for $4500. I see them for sale all the time for $6000 and I don't get it. I don't see paying that much for one either.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:00 PM

I also had a similar dbag encounter when I sold my f4i a couple years ago. After handing me the cash, he immediately got on the bike and proceeded to try popping wheelies while still in the apartment complex parking lot. Not more than 2 hours later my roommate calls and asks if that was me on the interstate doing over 100. Nope, mr. dbag was at it again. Then, I buy my current bike (02 954) a week later. Take it to the shop where I have all my work done. My mechanic tells me he put a new rear tire on my old f4i the day before. The tires had less than 1100 miles on them before I sold it! Burnouts anyone? It was on craigslist a month later priced double what I sold it for.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:16 AM

I have a story but has a not so good ending.
Back in 97 my 1st bike was a 92 Katana 600( can of tuna) I was selling it right before NH bike week so i could get the most money for it. Well this guy shows up and asks to take the bike for a ride, i asked him if he had his motorcycle lic. and he said "no, but ive been riding dirt bikes for years) and he was going the following week for his test.... they all say the same BS.... I told him that he could not ride it but I would ride and he could ride bitch. After the ride he said he would take it ...sold it for 2500 and all was good...I called him about a week later to see if he passed his drivers test to be legal.....and to see how everything was with the bike. He tells me he passed his class but on the way home he was at a stop light and gave it way to much gas and the bike flew out from under him. I felt bad but for some reason I wish I was at the light when this happend, just to see the look on his face....nothing happend to him except a couple of scraps on his forearms and he told me the bike was totaled.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:38 PM

Back when I was selling the 1987 vfr700 Interceptor I had, I sold it to a guy on the jobsite I was at. I drove it over to his house to let him look at it and test drive it. We went to a church parking lot so he could test drive it. He brought his roomate with him to the church. He was a heavy equiptment operator and was familiar with shifting, but had no experience whatsoever with bikes. I went ahead and let him drive it around, and he seemed to take to it well, so he told me he would take it. After he said that, he let his roomate try to drive it, but it wasn't as pleasant lol. His roomate's first official act was giving it too much gas and letting the bike fly way out ahead of him lol. That pretty much sealed him buying it tho lol

Search this Thread