Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

So what does it mean...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So what does it mean...

When a near miss doesn't faze you?

Happened yesterday and it's been buggin me since. Was riding in the city, down Washington Ave (if you know Philly). Washington Ave is a pretty wide 4 lane with parallel parking on the sides and a painted median big enough for more parking. All the cross streets are one way streets. I was in the left hand portion of the left hand lane, with the median on my left coming up on a left turn lane I wanted to take. Normal routine: hit my turn signal (yeah I use them), check my mirror (use them too), check the car in front (in case he decides to change lanes without signalling). I start to change lanes, checking my mirror again, when I discover a tow truck burning past about 1' away from me.

One thing I always do when changing into turning lanes is move into the lane as early as possible, as soon as the lane begins. With hard medians, this stops people from doing just what the tow truck did: gunning up to jump to the front of the lane. This guy wasn't even trying to turn. He continued through the light without turning and onto the painted median to pass the traffic in legal lanes.

My problem is this: it didn't bother me at all. No *** pucker, no heart rate jump... nothing. I didn't even bother to cuss him out in my helmet. And that kinda bugs me, like I'm getting too used to people doing stupid chit that endangers me. I can sorta understand feeling that way when it's something I see about to happen. But near as I can tell, this guy cut over from the right lane into the median to pull that crap.Not exactly something I look for. And I barely had time to react to the sudden presence. Tapping the brake bought enough time for him to clear the space I was about to occupy.

So does it mean anything? Or am I just readin to much into it?

Old 09-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So does it mean anything? Or am I just readin to much into it?
I think it just means that you're getting used to riding. And people doing dumb chit all the time. lol.
But remember.... make sure you take a quick look back over your shoulder before even beginning to change lanes or occupy a different space in a situation like this. There's only so much that mirrors, signals, and checking the car ahead can do for you. It won't help you see blind spots completely. My *** has been saved many times by taking a real quick look.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

+ 1 ..... Kuro ....getting more comfortable - which translates to more experienced.

tow truck drivers generally suck anyway and not good he got your blind spot, not like I
never had that happen to me either ... **** happens and it's a continual reminder for us
to do a quick over the shoulder "spot check" each and every time especially in
urban and dense highway traffic situations ..... as Trout says

A lesser experienced rider could easily have spooked and come off !

Old 09-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Comfortable but not complacent...that is the key.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like experience to me too. I use the word 'dumbass' a lot. I've been riding for quite some time now but it still amazes me how many people tailgate and don't use their turn signals. Sometimes I just *sigh* and try to ignore it. However, I'm ALWAYS on the look out for the dumbass and can spot them from a mile away. In your case you simply didn't see it and we all get surprised sometimes.

When possible, I tend to accelerate with certain lane changes just to get a bit of distance in case I missed something. The shoulder check is also a must. I don't look over my shoulder but along side it (not sure how to explain this.. I don't look in a horizontal plane but I tilt my head to the side and down. You see much more this way and it's a smaller movement). Other than that I use my mirrors so much I might as well have pictures of naked ladies on them.

Glad you are ok. The worse drivers seem to drive in company cars, especially vans. WOW!

Last edited by UnderAssumedName; 09-14-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the same thing now. but I feel like I am getting complacent as well. its almost like I enjoy the near miss

Old 09-14-2011, 07:49 AM

Just doing a sanity check. For example, the new rear tire I put on is showing wear to the edges. Not consistent but enough to show I'm riding harder than with the previous tire. Tire slips aren't getting much of a reaction either, not even when the front slips.

Need to make sure I'm not bout to let ego start controlling the throttle hand. I stopped being 10' tall and bullet-proof 25+ years ago. But riding can sneak up on you, yanno?

Old 09-14-2011, 12:26 PM

The only real pucker-moments I get anymore are related to ME not paying the attention I should, either on my bike or in my cage. I just expect people to do stupid shizz, and I've been observing it for so long now, even while riding my bicycles, that I can see a car in traffic a lot of times and predict the dumbass move the driver is about to do, well before I should have.

How many times have you been in your car with a passenger and seen a driver that really hasn't committed a dumbass move yet, but your spidey-sense tells you it's coming early enough that you can tell your passenger - "hey - watch this guy..." and sure enough, dumbassery ensues.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Yes, I'm with you adrenalnjunky. I get the spooks when I do something that could have been dangerous for me or others. Whether is was exceeding my limits as a rider or not paying attention to the road. When others do something reckless or simply aren't paying attention, I realize the only rational thing I can do is shake my head at look out for myself once again. Like classic said, ride with the mentality that everyone on the road is trying to kill you. If you make it home in one piece, you won that round.