Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

So I'm trying to provide back-seat confort for the Wife...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I'm trying to provide back-seat confort for the Wife...

So, like the subject says... I'm trying to come up with idea's. She's a skinny lady without a whole lot of "natural" back-seat padding. The back seats of the RR's have never been known for comfort, but since I put on my new exhaust (which, via a rubber grommet, actually touches the undertail) it now sends more vibrations through the passenger seat, which shortens her craving to ride even further.

What are my options? I know they don't make after market seats with more padding for the passenger. I have a rear seat cowl, but I almost never use it "just in case" I need to haul another person. It makes due in a pinch, but I'd love to have my wife out riding with me more than she does now.

My only idea so far is to get a used/torn up passenger seat from an 07/08 RR... or one from someone who made there's a track bike or whatever, and just re-apholster the thing. That very hard to do? Anybody have one for cheap or know where I can get one?

Old 05-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Default RE: So I'm trying to provide back-seat confort for the Wife...

They do have aftermarket rear and front seats for 2004-2007 CBR600RR.

Check out Corbin
http://www.corbin.com/honda/cbrmenu.shtml

Although they can be fairly pricey, they probably make the most comfortable seats around.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:21 AM

Are the Corbin seats, at least in the back seat department... mostly just looks? Or does anyone have experience with them for the passenger seat?

If I'm just going for cheap... I assume that looking for re-aphoulstering (sp?) a messed up stock seat will be the way to go, if I can find one... but I'm checking those Corbin's out now. Thanks!

<edit> Waiiiiiit a minute. No. They do NOT have a rear seat for the 07/08 RR's. Only on the previous years sadly. They have the normal riders seat... just not a passenger seat. And I can only assume they aren't interchange-able.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Lrn2Go

Are the Corbin seats, at least in the back seat department... mostly just looks? Or does anyone have experience with them for the passenger seat?

If I'm just going for cheap... I assume that looking for re-aphoulstering (sp?) a messed up stock seat will be the way to go, if I can find one... but I'm checking those Corbin's out now. Thanks!

<edit> Waiiiiiit a minute. No. They do NOT have a rear seat for the 07/08 RR's. Only on the previous years sadly. They have the normal riders seat... just not a passenger seat. And I can only assume they aren't interchange-able.
Yea, you're right. Sorry about that. I was looking at 04-07 1000RR for some reason.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Retired Super Moderator

I actually called corbin last week for the same issue. I basically wanted to send them my seat, and have them graft an 06 passenger seat onto my 07. They told me flat out that they would not make a seat with having the whole bike, no way around it. And as of now they have no anticipated production of the 07 rear seat on the schedule.

I guess i'm gonna call sargent and see what they say.

-Adam

Old 05-27-2008, 12:20 PM

Heck... if you hear anything from them, please let me know! Till then... I guess I'm looking at ghetto fabbing an extra seat that, thankfully, will be mostly hidden while she's riding on it anyways.

If you've got or know someone who has a rear seat for the 07/08 600RR, please hit me up via PM! (any condition)

Old 05-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I am no upholsterer or anything, but maybe some kind of a gel pad sewn in, i know they make gel seats. May not be a ton more padding, but i would think it would help greatly with the vibrtion.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:34 PM

it now sends more vibrations through the passenger seat, which shortens her craving to ride even further.
thats strange...

Old 05-27-2008, 06:41 PM

ORIGINAL: jutsin

it now sends more vibrations through the passenger seat, which shortens her craving to ride even further.
thats strange...
You would think the opposite...

Old 05-27-2008, 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: MikeInCtown

ORIGINAL: jutsin

thats strange...
You would think the opposite...
Yes... you would. However, as much "fun" as the vibrations are for a while... her poor little tailbone and, I don't know what to call them... the part of your hips/leg bones that actually touch a seat under your "padding" (due to her LACK of butt padding) get beaten to death on Oklahoma's crappy roads, and just like we tend to buy heavier bar ends to reduce impact of vibrations in our hands... which are fatigued on longer rides due to vibration... she feels the same thing. She's good for a while, but when I go out riding, I ride a long time usually. A few of our friends have cruisers... and she swoons over their "choosy" seats. I know she likes the scenery and the feel of the air... even if she is often scared by the idea of motorcycles... but I have no leverage when she's sore enough the next day to be bruised sometimes.

Oklahoma's roads suck. Okie... I know you can back me up on this too!

Quick Reply: So I'm trying to provide back-seat confort for the Wife...