Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

So i got a ticket for running a red light

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009 | 04:01 PM

I have put my kickstand down and has worked at some lights,other times if I can't make a right turn,I'll just run the red light.

Old 08-05-2009 | 04:32 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Originally Posted by CrashTECH
Assuming that is legal. If it isn't then you don't have much of a choice either way as both "offenses" are illegal.

Ya, I hear you and you are correct. But unless it's a trooper, most law enforcement around here is decent if you don't get an attitude. And if they do write me up I figure I can always subpoena the intersection to prove my case about a non-changing light. Would be hard to defend the avoiding a traffic control device.

The best thing, I suppose then, is to contact (email or phone) local and state lawmakers and make them aware of this issue. Would be saweeet if we could get a law on the books specifically for us. However, the current law says you treat a malfunctioning traffic light as a 4 way stop ... my interpretation is if it don't see me it's frikkin malfunctioning

Old 08-05-2009 | 09:37 PM

Chain if I'm not mistaken Georgia has changed their law to help us out.
If it doesn't change, w can proceed with caution.

Old 08-14-2009 | 11:38 AM

As far as I know, the sensors are actually magnetic field based, rather than weight or pressure based. They operate by creating a magnetic field that extends above the road. Thus the large hunk of metal (car) changes the magnetic field more substantially than the small hunk of metal (bike). As mentioned previously, sometimes putting the kickstand down makes the difference (gets the metal that much closer to the coils).

Old 08-16-2009 | 10:14 AM

plenty of lights like that out here on route 30....i take them all the time even the one at the police station...just i have a different end scenario than most

Old 09-01-2009 | 11:26 PM

Well as an experiment I attached magnets to the bottom of my fairing.I had a roll of magnetic tape laying around the garage and went out to test it on this one light that never changes for bikes and guess what it works.

Old 09-03-2009 | 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by letsride
Well as an experiment I attached magnets to the bottom of my fairing.I had a roll of magnetic tape laying around the garage and went out to test it on this one light that never changes for bikes and guess what it works.
I don't see why that would work at most lights. Traffic lights are usually on a timer, or a signal under the road. Are bikes are all aluminum so they don't pick us up. So where exactly did you mount that tape? Maybe I should get some too.

Old 09-03-2009 | 05:52 PM

I mounted it on the bottom of my lower fairing just behind the front wheel.

Old 09-03-2009 | 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by xjoewhitex
I don't see why that would work at most lights. Traffic lights are usually on a timer, or a signal under the road. Are bikes are all aluminum so they don't pick us up. So where exactly did you mount that tape? Maybe I should get some too.
There are 2 or 3 types of light traffic sensor. 1 is triggered by weight, which very few bikes will trigger if not adjusted correctly. Another is motion detectors (but not a lot of those). The other is triggered by detecting changes in the magnetic field over the sensor.

Most motorcycles don't have enough metal in them to trip the magnetic sensor types if they're set for cages. That's where light changers, dropping the kickstand sometimes or a strong enough magnet come in

Old 09-03-2009 | 11:15 PM

new missouri law says i can run it if it has not changed in an unreasonable time.

Quick Reply: So i got a ticket for running a red light