CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   snowboard (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/snowboard-58397/)

Martin_D 01-24-2008 06:38 PM

RE: snowboard

I would say on the bindings, make sure that the lower strap is one of the toe strap kinds. The others blow, when carving on your toe edge you could easily catch an edge with your toe.

On the boots, when you try them on make sure that you do not want to just stand up straight, bend your knees like you are actually riding, Dont want your toes to be fine when standing up straight, then when you bend your knees they are grinding the front of your boot. MAKE SURE they are comfortable boots, you will regret if you buy cheap ones that suck.

Martin_D 01-24-2008 06:46 PM

I am assuming you are from So Cal since you said Mt. High.

If so you pretty much just missed a HUGE snowboard expo. Called Ski dazzle. Its at the LA convention center every year normally at the begging of Dec. They sell all the "lasts year" stuff. Normally you can scoresome pretty sweet deals.

Just a little FYI, maybe for next year or something.

OKIEZAC 01-24-2008 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Martin_D

I would say on the bindings, make sure that the lower strap is one of the toe strap kinds. The others blow, when carving on your toe edge you could easily catch an edge with your toe.

On the boots, when you try them on make sure that you do not want to just stand up straight, bend your knees like you are actually riding, Dont want your toes to be fine when standing up straight, then when you bend your knees they are grinding the front of your boot. MAKE SURE they are comfortable boots, you will regret if you buy cheap ones that suck.
by far the dumbest thing i have ever heard.. "you could easily catch an edge with your toe?" ummm. dude.. thats an issue with having feet that are size 12 or more on a board that is not a "wide" sized board.. all the toestrap does is makes your boot feel like you are getting more immediate response from your toes to the edge of the board.. wearing a toe strap binding will add the same amount of padding to the front of your boot if not more than an over the toe style strap. more padding = bigger boot (on the board) ... thus adding more of a chance to catch an edge with your toe? if that was even possible....

so please disregard the statement he made.. and PS skidazzle is for gaper wanker tossers who like to clog up the mtn. dont be one of those.. get what you want for yourself.. look as stylish as you want and have fun.. thats what snowboarding is all about..

PS.. if you go to mammoth.. dont tell anyone you are from So Cal.. and dont say.. bro i rented my board at Val Surf.. LOLOLOLOLOL....

we hate people who come up from SC to spraypaint the beautiful town, and act like ignorant roid monkey tourist drunks at the bars at night..
locals avoid the village on weekends bc of the tourist koksuckers.. but none the less a great place to get hammered rehash good times.. and wake up and ride..

but like i said.. its about having fun.. so next time i log onto the mammoth site.. www.mammothmountain.comand see that they have a powder day you better be on your way there.. !!

RBrandon 01-24-2008 07:04 PM

Don't take anyones word on boots, everyone has completely different feel for everyone. Don't just go off price, I ended up getting 100 dollar burton boots because they were the most comfortable to me. Just go in and try as many boots on as you can and decide for yourself. If anything, you want ones that are a little more snug then being loose. They will somewhat compact a little bit after they have been used for awhile, I guess just like buying new shoes only its a lot more important that your boots fit right. With bindings I have flows also, I don't think its pretty gay, those of us with flows don't have to stop and strap in we just blow by them, which equals more runs in a day. Also its a lot easier to unstrap and hike back up the hill to hit that massive booter. You do give up a little bit of security though, they usually aren't as snug as conventional bindings. On the other hand you set how loose or tight your bindings are once and you never have to do it again, so you always have the most comfortable fit as compared to, one runs too loose the next too tight, so on so forth.

Martin_D 01-24-2008 07:04 PM

OK, I dont know bout' yours but my binding with the to strap, were made with a toe ramp, therfore lifting the toe high than the normal cheap bindings.

And if you read his post he didnt exactly buy an extra wide board, he WON a board, you get what you get with that.

As far as ski dazzle, I never said anywhere that they had the most stylish stuff or anything, BUT for a beginner at snow boarding you dont really go out and buy the best stuff. Maybe your rich or something, and could do that.

Martin_D 01-24-2008 07:12 PM

A side not to oki.

One the web site you put for bindings, each and everyone had the strap thatI said to get. the one covering the toe.

So what are you trying to say here \/ \/ \/

(the highlighted part)

ORIGINAL: OKIEZAC

by far the dumbest thing i have ever heard.. "you could easily catch an edge with your toe?" ummm. dude.. thats an issue with having feet that are size 12 or more on a board that is not a "wide" sized board.. all the toestrap does is makes your boot feel like you are getting more immediate response from your toes to the edge of the board.. wearing a toe strap binding will add the same amount of padding to the front of your boot if not more than an over the toe style strap. more padding = bigger boot (on the board) ... thus adding more of a chance to catch an edge with your toe? if that was even possible....

so please disregard the statement he made.. and PS skidazzle is for gaper wanker tossers who like to clog up the mtn. dont be one of those.. get what you want for yourself.. look as stylish as you want and have fun.. thats what snowboarding is all about..

PS.. if you go to mammoth.. dont tell anyone you are from So Cal.. and dont say.. bro i rented my board at Val Surf.. LOLOLOLOLOL....

we hate people who come up from SC to spraypaint the beautiful town, and act like ignorant roid monkey tourist drunks at the bars at night..
locals avoid the village on weekends bc of the tourist koksuckers.. but none the less a great place to get hammered rehash good times.. and wake up and ride..

but like i said.. its about having fun.. so next time i log onto the mammoth site.. www.mammothmountain.comand see that they have a powder day you better be on your way there.. !!

CBRCRF 01-24-2008 11:47 PM

I think he was talking about a toe cap strap. Like the ones on my bindings. I have no problem with toe drag at all. And the toecap makes heel to toe flicking so much fast and smoother. They alsomake my boots feel more secure in the bindings.

penguin26 01-25-2008 12:35 AM

hey thanks to all you that replied. imma go try some boots on tomorrow and buy em in a couple of weeks with income tax money:D and i'll defenitely hit you up okiezac when i head up to mammoth, and i'll try not to be a tourist a$$hole ;)

lungfish13 01-25-2008 01:00 AM

I'll throw my .02 in.

Like everyone said. Don't go with step in bindings. I owned a pair of flow bindings and thought the were the bomb (when i started snowboarding). AfterI started getting fasterI noticed that they would flex way to much and the locking mechanism started failing on my back foot. NowI'm rolling ona set ofBurton missions and love them. They'restiff andI haven't had anyproblems with the toe caps. Some else suggested Flux bindings, which I'd like to own, butI got a steal on theburtons. As far asI knowflux isthe only companyspecializes in bindings.The don't make anything else. If you're looking for a good deal check these guys out

http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/.

Especially aroundJune. Most of their gear goes 50% off and thenhits 75% aroundJuly. Put your money in the boots though. If your feet ain't happy, you'll have a miserable day.

daredevilearth 02-12-2008 09:53 PM

steepandcheap.com has really good deals that is where I got my Burton custom bindings, dakine gloves, pants and jacket from.I just got back from Squaw Valley 40 miles west of Reno man was it incredible they had gotten 3 feet of snow the week before I had gotten there.Already looking forward to next year.