Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Slip on's illegal or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slip on's illegal or not?

Are slip on's illegal to run or not based on db levels. I have a vance and hines on my f2 and yet its pretty quiet down low ontill you get on it really hard. Just seeing what is illegal or not legal on this.

Thanks guys

Old 03-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not illegal to have exhaust but the cops based on there opinions can give you a loud exhaust ticket. Never had one on my bike but I got one on my four wheeler lol.. Have a banshee race four wheeler

Old 03-06-2010, 10:33 AM

As long as it isn't disturbing the peace, let her ride. Thats what the deputy in me says. (yes I'm a deputy)

Old 03-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Manufacturers usually state that their exhausts are not street legal and intended for race purposes only. But that is to cover their liability against noise level laws. Since there is no national standard they'd have no way to meet compliance.

All that said, it'll depend on the local statutes and the officer. Tho most places have taken the officer's discretion out if the equation, setting specific DB level and specific distances which must be measured. Not guessed at

Old 03-06-2010, 12:46 PM

Idk what state he is in but depending on what area of any state you live in if the cops don't like you or just wanna have someone to give tickets to you could get in trouble with stock exhaust. Because in my area of Illinois its about 99.9 % at the officer's discretion. the other very small percent is people actually calling you in for "disturbing" the peace. My neighbors hate me even riding my bike or four wheelers.. Heck they basically wanted me to push my bike down the road before starting it with a yoshimira pipe on it so just for them I went out and bought a full d and d exhaust..

Old 03-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahoney88
Idk what state he is in but depending on what area of any state you live in if the cops don't like you or just wanna have someone to give tickets to you could get in trouble with stock exhaust. Because in my area of Illinois its about 99.9 % at the officer's discretion. the other very small percent is people actually calling you in for "disturbing" the peace. My neighbors hate me even riding my bike or four wheelers.. Heck they basically wanted me to push my bike down the road before starting it with a yoshimira pipe on it so just for them I went out and bought a full d and d exhaust..
I'd double check you local and state laws. Officer discretion has been abused too much and is too easy to beat in court. Pennsylvania, for example, explicitly states the maximum sound levels allow by vehicle type on the highway based on speed and location. The city has the ability to further restrict the tolerances if it chooses. But it still must be stated and it must be measured.

If I got a ticket it's a very simple matter to go to court and request the evidence. When the officer says "It sounded loud to me", the ticket is gone. Course I wouldn't make any friends that way, being likely to start getting radar backed tickets for doing 37 in a 35 mph zone

Old 03-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody were I live complains about it at all. Yet my g/f's neighbor is a *** and has called people in the past for it. I just wanted to make sure or do what I can to protect myself from getting a ticket. The maximum db level is 90db for Minnesota. My exhaust is pretty quiet over all yet if you get on it hard just like anything it'll sure make some noise. Thanks for all the responses.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Make sure to note # 2

The following state law (347.39) does not exempt motorcycles and does not require a sound meter or the engine running. If you search the following in the Wisconsin Legislature http://nxt.legis.state.wi.us/ Wisconsin Statues: 347.39 Mufflers. (1) No person shall operate on a highway any motor vehicle subject to registration unless such motor vehicle is equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise or annoying smoke. This subsection also applies to motor bicycles. (2) No muffler or exhaust system on any vehicle mentioned in sub. (1) shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device nor shall there be installed in the exhaust system of any such vehicle any device to ignite exhaust gases so as to produce flame within or without the exhaust system. No person shall modify the exhaust system of any such motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this section. (3) In this section, “muffler” means a device consisting of a series of chambers of baffle plates or other mechanical design for receiving exhaust gases from an internal combustion engine and which is effective in reducing noise.

feel free to check your state, but most are the same.

if the cops don't like you or just wanna have someone to give tickets to you could get in trouble with stock exhaust.
That would get laughed out of court, if its stock, its perfectly legal in all 50 states.

Last edited by TK954RR; 03-06-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:29 PM

Here's another way to look at it: Almost all slip-ons are not legal, irrespective of sound. EPA requires exhaust systems meet certain requirements and be stamped saying they are met and accepted. If there is no EPA stamp, it's not legal. Stock, of course, are stamped.

Now, it's important in that I said "not legal" as opposed to "illegal". Many states (or even cities) have a statute or ordinance making an exhaust system that is non-EPA approved illegal and subject to fine, etc. Other states do not, so they're only not legal at the federal level, which is not criminally enforceable at the state level. Check your local and state laws to be sure.

Quick Reply: Slip on's illegal or not?