Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Skeptical

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skeptical

i was offered a 2006 cbr 1000rr for $2900 bucks. seems kinda low to me but he swears its in good shape and is moving to UK and needs to get rid of it. and he wants to do it through ebay so neither of us get burned. whats your guys/gals thoughts on it???

Old 09-23-2010, 12:51 PM

Name:  2006HondaCBR1000RR1.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  98.9 KB

Last edited by canhead64; 09-23-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the details sound exactly like a lot of scams i see around. i wouldn't even touch one of those unless me, the seller, and the bike were all in the same room together.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the details sound exactly like a lot of scams i see around. i wouldn't even touch one of those unless me, the seller, and the bike were all in the same room together.
Exactly what I was thinking. I'd have to see it to believe it.....which means in real life with a vin and title to match it.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:18 PM

the 1000 rr is the most used bike in these scams...they know we drool over it....dont take the bait, that bike would fetch $4k-$5k eazily...EAZILY...

Old 09-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're always smart to take things w/a grain of salt & being skeptical. I will say this... Where I live, service members get deployed all the time & have to sell things quickly. I've seen some incredible deals that would normally seem a little too good to be true. That being said...

Back to the terms above. Why would he want to do the deal thru *bay if you could hand him cash? That doesn't make sense. If he wanted to be sure of no scams, you could meet him at the bank & do the transaction at the teller's counter. I've done deals this way when cash was involved & both parties were sure of a secure deal.

Just use your common-sense meter. You'll be fine.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:08 PM

ya i'm not one to jump right in and do something rash. the guy claims to have all the papers and stuff. I might go look at it just for the hell of it. what could be wrong with it that i wouldn't notice right off the bat but could cause problems once i start riding it about 150 miles a day??

Old 09-23-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by canhead64
I might go look at it just for the hell of it.
hey bro, go look at it, if all seems legit with the bike, and it runs good, like gotcbr said , take it to a bank or credit union to do the sale. ive done that with cars , bikes , and boats, usually if somthin is shady , they will find a reason to back out..also ive done sales at the DMV counter as they will not do the transfer of title unless everything matches up...it is a sweet bike for a steal of a deal , just watch yer back bud,.. GL

Old 09-23-2010, 05:20 PM

ha, look at my scam or no scam thread from like two days ago or something, 929rr for sale said he is moving or is the UK right now... idk if you go see the bike it could be a different story

Old 09-23-2010, 06:52 PM

I saw a 929 advertised in the DC area in August. I think the price was $2700. Contacted the seller and seller replied that he was in the service and was overseas and the bike was with him (not where he said it was by the location of the ad). He said he'd ship it to me and no money would need to be paid until I inspected the bike and accepted it. Now, I can understand wanting or even needing to get rid of stuff fast, but this just screamed scam to me almost from the start. If the bike had been where it was said to be, i could have gone and looked at it. Oh well, I have my 01 F4i now. Good luck, look at it if you can, make sure title matches the bike, etc....