CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   silly quads (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/silly-quads-35259/)

telgren 04-04-2007 10:17 AM

silly quads

Anyone else have a problem with quads where they live? In SD its legal for them to ride the streets as long as they get tags and carry proof of insurance. Seems like they seriously outnumber bikes now and they all think they are the shizznit. Last week I saw a group of 4 raptors, the little racing quads, all in shorts and t-shirts like they owned the roads. Their so called leader of the group on an 800 looked at me (he use to work for me) and said this quad will smoke you. It took everything in me not to laugh. I just grinned and told him goodbye, flipped the visor down and took off. I didnt even break the speed limit before he realized that he was made a giant ass in front of his friends.

So anyone else have a problem with quads or is it just me? Quads are like vespas to me, every time I see one I just want to push them over.

Dave K 04-04-2007 10:37 AM

RE: silly quads

Like anything, it isn't the quad, in this case it is the riders. I was a serious dirt biker for years. Then the quads came into being. They would cruise the riding areas, go off of the trials, ride with coolers on the front and back racks and leave their empty cans all over the landscape.Quads have been the cause of more land closures than anything I can think off. Again, I am notagainst the quads, but the riders,whosementalcapacity seems to be impaired. Maybe the ball cap being worn backwards, instead of a helmet, says something. As in any ban of privlidges, it is the actions of a few that affect the rights of others.

dizzie56 04-04-2007 11:27 AM

Nah dave...its the quads and the dumbass that ride them. Completely retarded

K0NPHL1C7 04-04-2007 11:30 AM

I am an avid ATV enthusiest, often time opting to ride my KFX 400 instead of my bike. Granted where I live(Maine) it is illegal to ride a quad on any paved road more than 300 yards(500 if there is a bridge) I do often find myself on the road searching for trails. I have many friends I ride with, Dirtbikes and ATVs, and the majority of my riding buddies ride street bikes as well.

I guess my point is, I am sure there are a lot of riders that give us ATV'rs a bad name, but we are not all that bad, there are some Bikers that a douchebags as well. Case in pooint, we went out stunting our ATVs in a local parking lot, and it just so happened that a member of "Vertical Outlaws" was stunting his bike there that day. The coips ended up getting called because my quad is louad, and he was a total dick about it . I wanted to punch him. It's not your parking lot buddy.

Anyway, A raptor 700 with a power commander and custom exhaust could beat a CBR600 RR until about 60 MPH, but would then loose. A Banshee, Jetted with max air flow would smake a CBR1000 untill about 50 MPH. I don't know of "sport" ATV that is 800CC's, so i don't think there is one that could beat a bike. The DS650, Rappy 700 or KFX700 maybe.

Triax 04-04-2007 11:38 AM

quads are a blast to ride but in nebraska they are definatley not street legal. i know of a few people that have some that are built and surpisingly fast.

K0NPHL1C7 04-04-2007 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Triax

quads are a blast to ride but in nebraska they are definatley not street legal. i know of a few people that have some that are built and surpisingly fast.
Compared to stok 400's mine is quite quick, but I know there are faster out there. Man the new KFX450r is gonna be the balls. I soooo want one. I would trade my quad in, but last year I hit a tree and bent my frame, so i wouldn't get jack for it. i need to straighten it.

Ya man, riding quads is soooooo fun. I love it. I can ride a 15 hour day no problem, and it never gets boring.

aaron1085 04-04-2007 12:38 PM

i am a huge quad fanatic and wish we could ride them on the streets here in mass!

CBRCRF 04-04-2007 12:57 PM

Quads are forold and lazypeople!;)

CBRFREEK 04-04-2007 01:05 PM

In Illinois..ridng a quad on the street....LOL..yea right..who ever made that legal was just askin for trouble..a.A bunch of kids crusin quads in traffic..tryin to race cars and motorcycles....i think thats how accidents happen..

K0NPHL1C7 04-04-2007 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: aaron1085

i am a huge quad fanatic and wish we could ride them on the streets here in mass!

Ya man. Up until like 2001 you could make your ATV street legal here in Maine, but then they had an un-advertised legislative session in which they took a vote, and where no one knew about it, no one could be there to oppose it. After that, Unlawful. Lame! You'll have to come ride up here some time :) What do you ride?

ORIGINAL: CBRCRF

Quads are forold and lazypeople!
LOL, I guarantee you I ride harder on my ATV than anyone on these boards rides there CBR :)

CBRCRF 04-04-2007 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: K0NPHL1C7

ORIGINAL: aaron1085

Ya man. Up until like 2001 you could make your ATV street legal here in Maine, but then they had an un-advertised legislative session in which they took a vote, and where no one knew about it, no one could be there to oppose it. After that, Unlawful. Lame! You'll have to come ride up here some time :) What do you ride?

Quads are forold and lazypeople!
LOL, I guarantee you I ride harder on my ATV than anyone on these boards rides there CBR :)

Maybe. But not harder than me on my CRF!:D

K0NPHL1C7 04-04-2007 01:38 PM

Possibly, if you're one of those kids who just cruises the sand pits all day :) I also have a CRF(*cough*50*cough*) - Bought it for my son this Xmas. Can't wait to get him out there!

BurryTheSpeedo 04-04-2007 02:16 PM

atvs are to "unstable" for me....when i take turns fast i always feel like i am about to flip and die...lol

CBRCRF 04-04-2007 02:16 PM

Yeah! If he can get you off of it. 50's are a blast!

K0NPHL1C7 04-04-2007 02:29 PM

Yeah! If he can get you off of it. 50's are a blast!
Ya I know, i can't wait till he and my daughter out gorw it. Then I'll pit-bike it out!

ORIGINAL: BurryTheSpeedo

atvs are to "unstable" for me....when i take turns fast i always feel like i am about to flip and die...lol
Been there, done that. Lol. But if you're on the right terrain, you can always slide the rear end out and "drift" it.

Northernfirepower 04-04-2007 02:47 PM

I'm a proud owner of a '01 400EX and ride as often as I can. I live in the country so I don't have much to compare to and I do ride on the road when I have to but if there is traffic...I know who has the right-of-way (not me). My quad has after market exhaust so it is loud but I don't haunch on it when I'm near houses or in a town. Not that there is any rights for a quad to be on the road but they’re pretty confined as they are so hitting the road here and there shouldn’t be a big issue. As for people only keeping an ATV on asphalt, that’s ridicules! They are meant to be All Terrain Vehicles, not golf carts.
-NorthernFirepower

K0NPHL1C7 04-04-2007 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Northernfirepower

I'm a proud owner of a '01 400EX and ride as often as I can. I live in the country so I don't have much to compare to and I do ride on the road when I have to but if there is traffic...I know who has the right-of-way (not me). My quad has after market exhaust so it is loud but I don't haunch on it when I'm near houses or in a town. Not that there is any rights for a quad to be on the road but they’re pretty confined as they are so hitting the road here and there shouldn’t be a big issue. As for people only keeping an ATV on asphalt, that’s ridicules! They are meant to be All Terrain Vehicles, not golf carts.
-NorthernFirepower

I want to get an old 400EX or even a 300EX for stunting. They are so light in the front they wheelie soooooo easily. High-chairs are soooooo easy on a 400EX.

Northernfirepower 04-04-2007 05:39 PM

Yeah, more power to ya! I love my 400EX and would rather rebuild my engine than replace my quad if it comes down to it. If your lookin to stunt the only downfall is the solid mount grab bar, it’s one with the subframe.

K0NPHL1C7 04-04-2007 08:55 PM

Well that could be modified. Check out the pics of the grab/wheelie bar i made for mine:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...0124071510.jpg

tmcj 04-04-2007 09:16 PM

whoah bud, don't be knocking the quads, lol. this is the first post i've read and responded to on this site. i'm a huge banshee fan and have an 01 that is slightly modified and love riding my shee. probably more than my cbr[sm=icon_rock.gif]that's not a good start for the site for me, lol. naah, i'm just messin. quads aren't street legal here in pa by any means. the guys who try to ride the street like they do in the dirt shouldn't be on the road. they are more of a hazzard than anything. there's a time and place for everything, andplaying dirtrideron the street isn't cool.

daredevilearth 04-04-2007 10:31 PM

All this talk about quads makes me miss my 03' 400ex that much more and the ex forums. Why did I sell it? I keep forgetting.

KidCr3nshaw 04-04-2007 11:13 PM

It's unreal sometimes.

Some of you guys make these sweeping generalizations as if, being a sportbike owner, you haven't fallen victim to it's wildinnaccuracies.

ATV's are a blast. Dirtbikes are a blast. Cruisers can be fun, and sportbikes are a blast.

Get real...

voodoochyl 04-05-2007 12:47 AM

...so is it my imagination, or are we talking apples and oranges? Who cares? I would love to have a quad (I don't think I am an a$$...could be wrong), but I would rather have a dirt bike! My first choice would be street/track bike.

telgren 04-05-2007 11:53 AM

My point is that here for some unknown reason they are allowed on the street. I am not saying that they dont have their places in life--off road is where I think they belong. I didnt mean it to sound like I was bashing the quad riders, if I did I am sorry. Its when they are allowed on the steets here that pisses me off... most of them dont carry insurance on them, much less plates. They are seen around town stuntin and causing riders everywhere headaches because I see police with their windows rolled down listening to hear a motor being reved so they can follow them.

aaron1085 04-05-2007 09:04 PM

i have a 2005 YFZ 450 (for sale by the way) and have a blast riding. they are closing down trails left and right around my area, but wouldnt mind ripping on the streets in town!

makes me want to go to portugal and spain where they ride all over!

voodoochyl 04-05-2007 09:17 PM

I misread, Telly, so they ride on the street? That can't even be legal can it?

K0NPHL1C7 04-05-2007 10:46 PM

I think it's ridiculous that ATVs not allowed on the streets. If a person pays his registration and insures his vechile, i don't care if it's a ****ing unicycle he should be allowed to drive it on public roads. We are starting a petition in Maine to make it once again legal to ride ATVs on public roadways.

*Disclaimer* Obviously the ATV operator must abide by the same laws as ny other vechile, including inspection, insurace, traffic laws(driving to endanger)

Until it becomes legal, I will continue ride my ATV respectfully on public roads in search for trails. If I'm out int he middle of nowhere and a cop decides to be an asshole and try to stop me, I welcome his challenge. I'd be willing to bet he's gonna end up feelin pretty stupid at the end of the day.

telgren 04-05-2007 10:58 PM

ORIGINAL: voodoochyl

I misread, Telly, so they ride on the street? That can't even be legal can it?
Unforunately it is legal provided they carry insurance and have plates... that my problem is they are ruining it not only for other quads, but motorcycles as well.