Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Should the bike me sold?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should the bike me sold?

Should the bike me sold?

A friend called me late last night with some apprehension on riding and possibly unloading his motorcycle. This is a close friend whom I've known for years. He's been riding for about two years and his skill level is on average with this tenure.

Apparently he's been inundate with various situations and/or incident in the past several weeks that have made him doubt the sport. [None to himself] One of his riding buddies T boned a U-Turn-making-idiot causing this riding to go down and suffer several physical injuries. Note - I don't know the full story and there are many variables to accidents like this. Including inexperience, inattentive and recklessness on the Riders part.

Also, my buddy was inspecting his R1 and noticed a similar model completely banged up. He uncovered the story behind the accident and the fatality that resulted. Finally, my friend claims to have been bombarded with a myriad of negative opinions from non riders and the danger that is associated with our Sport.

Consequently, my friends spoke of sell his machine last night. Taking into account that he's a family man and 'his feeling' is anything but euphoric for riding his R1.

My advice, to my close friend, was to park his Motorcycle. Leave it be for a couple of days and/or weeks and revisit the thought of selling his machine and ultimately ending , what I thought, was his passion for the Sport. I have more opinions, but the questions I ask you all are, Should I have advised him differently? Should I have approached his current dilemma in another way? Your thoughts please.
[hr]

Old 07-17-2006, 01:20 PM
Default RE: Should the bike me sold?

I don't know necessarily that advice is a good thing. You can have a ton of skill and natural ability, but if you lose your edge, you are asking for trouble. There is a saying that rings true, especially in the motorcycle world, 'fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true'; your friend should do what he/she feels is right for him/herself. Many years ago, I felt almost addicted to the adrenaline rush I got from 'spirited' riding, then a whole serious of incidents occurred with the group of guys I was riding with, capped off with my room-mate be involing in a very serious crash. Once he was healed up, he went an bought the latest greatest Ninja on the market, but I could see he wasn't the same, and he never could get back into the groove, consequently he sold it a couple of months later. Seeing his fear made me question my own fearless attitude and behavior. I ended up losing confidence and selling my bike. Part of me is glad I did, because I really think I used to ride up to and beyond the edge too frequently. But then again, I walked away from a sport that I loved, and there is some regret; now I am back in the saddle and I am once again doing something I love. I cannot stress enough that if your friends head is not in the game, its best he/she isn't in the saddle, whether it be temporary or permanent, that decision is up to them and isn't a question of right or wrong.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Default Repost?

See 95camaro01f4i's thread in this same section:

https://cbrforum.com/m_126989/tm.htm

Pretty much the same topic manny.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Default RE: Repost?

AZ1000rr,

I'm glad I posted my questions and concerns. You nailed it right on and I thank you for that. I'll make sure to communicate with my friend and make sure to discuss the reality of his 'Mental' not in 'the game'.

Thanks again! Good to see you're back on the saddle and doing what you love.

Thanks again guys!
-Manny