Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Share your work experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:09 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Share your work experience

This thread is for CBR owners to share their work experience? What was the craziest job, best job, or worst...they had or still have. Let me start it off... The worst job I had was when I first hang out with some new friends in the salon business. One day their salon was so damn busy...they ask me if I want to help shampoo the customer hair, I said how hard can this be right??? So I said ok... For $2 bucks per shampoo... Next thing I know...I've been doing it for 3month straight 6 days a week 10 hr a day....my hand got so dried up...hurts when I made a fist...LOL.....

Old 07-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worst job, have to be when I was still at school & got a week end job with a poultry veterinarian. Used to have to chase bloody chicken's around & catch them so he could examine them & give them a jab with a needle. Chickens used to flap around & I don't know how many times the dumb b*stard jabbed me in the hand + big bonus I got to go home covered in chicken sh*t. Best job, when I was about 18-19, worked in the state library of NSW in Sydney, they got a copy of every publication produced here or brought into the country. Rotted my brain on comics & ****, smoked pot in the book stacks, went & got drunk on Friday nights with a heap of other people that worked there, (does not sound that grand, but 99% of "the people that worked there" where women) + 99.9% of the people that used the library where female students, The other 00.1% where there for the comics & ****.

Last edited by pacemaker; 07-27-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worst job I ever had was a Copier salesman for a Cannon distributor right after college. Was just a churn'n'burn for recent college grads for sales leads for the more established guys. I did a year there. Got my sales experience and dipped asap.

I'm still in sales and work in the fashion/design for building architecture community oddly enough.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:10 PM

Worst job was when I was about 18, started working at a sawmill. At first it was great, 35 hours a week so 3 and a half days on 3 and a half days off and a decent pay check. When I left we were working 65 hours a week and they wanted me to do 3 different jobs without giving me anymore money. I got 1 raise while I was there for a year even though there was only one other person in the mill that could do what I did. "Good jobs" only go so far before you say F*** it I need more money.

Best job was the last job I had. Worked for a billionaire doing whatever they asked and cleaning and driving their super expensive cars, Ferraris and what not. All while being allowed to listen to my iPod pretty much no matter what I was doing. Also got to run errands around town for hours at a time while driving a lexus or something even nicer. Made 12 bucks an hour under the table in the beginning which was awesome, and basically had the ability to do whatever I wanted because they have the most money out of anyone around where I live. They even buy out the police(guys wife got busted for drunk driving, totally trashed and nothing ever happened they just sent her home). That was a sweet job. Now I'm an apprentice in the electricians union. So far so good.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:14 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Default Agt

I think it was last year's AGT- America Got Talent - Kevin Skinner whom won 1 million dollars, was a chicken catcher...

Originally Posted by pacemaker
Worst job, have to be when I was still at school & got a week end job with a poultry veterinarian. Used to have to chase bloody chicken's around & catch them so he could examine them & give them a jab with a needle. Chickens used to flap around & I don't know how many times the dumb b*stard jabbed me in the hand + big bonus I got to go home covered in chicken sh*t. Best job, when I was about 18-19, worked in the state library of NSW in Sydney, they got a copy of every publication produced here or brought into the country. Rotted my brain on comics & ****, smoked pot in the book stacks, went & got drunk on Friday nights with a heap of other people that worked there, (does not sound that grand, but 99% of "the people that worked there" where women) + 99.9% of the people that used the library where female students, The other 00.1% where there for the comics & ****.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:35 PM

Worst Job - When i was 16 i worked for a golf course around the area for no pay what so ever.. Just Range *****.. So basically... 20 hours a week.. and i used the range ($2.50, For a bucket of *****) 2-3 times a month.. yeah that sucked... and i was the GC B***H

Best Job - My Current Job/Business. Me & My Cousin 3 Years ago found a natural talent for producing and promoting Local Bands/artists/business'/ETC. Turned into a Successful Business and has been our passion for the past 3 years. Free Concerts, Merchandise, and Perks. If anyone comes out to Cali Let me know i can hook you up with some hotels in the SF Bay area.

Craziest Job - My current Girlfriend owns a small business here for wedding planning... and I "assist" her when she needs it (lifting boxes, Business cards, Banners, and Calling Clients) and let me tell you... I thought i was only going to have to handle 1 crazy bride in my lifetime... Its not just yours that will go crazy.. Theres something about Weddings and Women that dont mix and make them crazy... Or atleast to me! haha!

Last edited by Dfbewley2; 07-27-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funniest job: unloading a semi as a non-union worker into a city building (union workers only).

So using a hand truck / pallete lift I'd move boxes off the truck all of 5 feet onto the loading dock for $20 / hr. The union laborers made sure it took all day moving the material from the dock to the destination. Since I couldn't leave until truck was completely unloaded and all the material was marked as received at its final destination, it was the easiest job ever

Old 07-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by estate4life
I think it was last year's AGT- America Got Talent - Kevin Skinner whom won 1 million dollars, was a chicken catcher...
I'm not a chicken plucker, I'm a chicken plucker's son. And I'll keep on plucking chicken's till the plucking day is done.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:47 PM

Worst- Easily my first ever "real job" with a local city's "Youth Corps" program. Age 14, pay $5.25/hr (min wage at the time), 5 other 14 year olds, myself and a supervisor would pack into an old extended cab pickup and drive around cleaning up various parts of this city. No gloves or trash picker sticks, we would clear city sidewalks of trash (mostly cigarette butts), change out maggot filled trash cans in parks, and plant aquatic plants in the city's nasty ponds. The only upside was that me and my buddy were the only kids our age with actual jobs, so we felt like we were rolling in $$$.

Close 2nd- Caddy at a swanky country club. Hauled around two sets of clubs for 4-5 hours, walking the entire course while the golfers drove their cart. Pay was great, but they would tell all 30 caddies to get to the course at 6:00am, then they would assign tee times (tons of fun when the time you get is hours after you show up), then they would send about a third of us home because they had all the scheduled times filled. Driving 60 miles round trip early in the morning (usually on weekends) only to be told to go back home with no pay was just evil.

Best- Ski/Snowboard/Bike shop. Worked at a few over the years, but the best was the one I worked at for a year right after I graduated college. Just about every employee was in their early to mid 20's (tons of partying and made some good friends), insane discounts on gear (70% off retail on my bike!), free season pass to some of the local mountains and hookups at mountains all over the US. Got paid to go out and demo skis and boards for the upcoming season, some employees got to go to awesome trade shows and events. I would do that job for the rest of my life if it paid better.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:48 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Best job... Had a short run during the real estate boom...got my license late 2004. The boom started 2001. Once I got my license I was able to close 3 transaction. I close a 3.2 million dollars home, then sold a $989,000 listing and last transaction at $540,000...within 18month period...now you see why my user ID is estate4life. Then after 2007...real estate crashed!!!! Pro

Quick Reply: Share your work experience