Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Selling on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling on ebay

So, how do i go about doing this? Wanna sell a couple things, allready have an account. Anything i gotta look out for when i sell something?

Old 04-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Default RE: Selling on ebay

look out for bidders with low feedback....like under 10. i just sold a bunch of stuff on ebay. what are you selling? make sure your description is clear and the title is spelled right. i've seen some auctions go for really low because the title was misspelled. if you're selling something that's worth a lot, you might want to consider a reserve price. it kinda makes sure your $1,000 item doesn't go for a buck ya know? anyways, good luck with your listing.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Retired Admin

Watch out for user's with no feedback. Always use a source like Paypal that backs up every sale. Communication with people is key. Make sure you have enough pics on there and write it up to spark interest. Review similiar auctions for similiar things and use the best write up idea that worked for them. Basically that about it to watch out for. The only other big thing is if they buy your item and send a money order for quite a bit more and then ask you to give cash to a shipping company it is most likely a scam!

Recognizing scams
Most scams involve one or more of the following:
[ul][*]inquiry from someone far away, often in another country[*]Western Union, Money Gram, cashier's check, money order, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee"[*]inability or refusal to meet face-to-face before consumating transaction [/ul]
distant person offers a genuine-looking (but fake) cashier's check
[ul][*]you receive an email (examples below) offering to buy your item, or rent your apartment, sight unseen.[*]cashier's check is offered for your sale item, as a deposit for an apartment, or for just about anything else of value.[*]value of cashier's check often far exceeds your item - scammer offers to "trust" you, and asks you to wire the balance via money transfer service[*]banks will often cash these fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR, including criminal prosecution in some cases![*]scam often involves a 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate owing buyer money, etc)[/ul]
Someone requests wire service payment via Western Union or MoneyGram:
[ul][*]Often claim that an MTCN or confirmation code is needed before he can withdraw your money - this is FALSE, once you've wired money, it is GONE.[*]Scam "bait" items include laptops, plasma TVs, cell phones, tickets - but could be almost anything[*]common countries currently include: Nigeria, Romania, Ukraine, Spain, UK, Italy, Netherlands - but could be anywhere[*]deal often seems too good to be true [/ul]
distant person offers to send you a money order and then have you wire money:
[ul][*]this is ALWAYS a scam, in our experience - the cashier's check is FAKE[*]sometimes accompanies an offer of merchandise, sometimes not[*]scammer often asks for your name, address, etc for printing on the fake check[*]deal often seems too good to be true [/ul]
distant seller suggests use of an online escrow service.
[ul][*]most online escrow sites are FRAUDULENT, operated by scammers[*]for more info, do a google search on "fake escrow" or "escrow fraud"[/ul]
distant seller asks for a partial payment upfront, after which he will ship goods
[ul][*]he says he trusts you with the partial payment[*]he may say he has already shipped the goods[*]deal often sounds too good to be true [/ul]
foreign company offers you a job receiving payments from customers, then wiring funds
[ul][*]foreign company may claim it is unable to receive payments from its customers directly[*]you are typically offered a percentage of payments received[*]this kind of "position" may be posted as a job, or offered to you via email [/ul]
Sample Scam E-mails:

Hello ,
Thanks for your mail back concerning the inquiry mail i sent to you.
The price,condition also the pics i viewed is okay by me .And my client
confirm there is no problem about the price($975 ) ,my client do pays with
a {USA}cashier check,he has agreed to mail out as bank cashiers check of
$3500. to you on my behalf to cover the shippment fees.About the shippment,
that we be taken care by my me & m

Old 04-28-2007, 11:09 AM

i do a somethings like this.
only paypal. ONLY!!!
only to 48 states
and everything is as-is, no returns.
and they have to pay in 3 days.
make sure u post good pics of the thing. pictures sell.
make your page look good. look at the other things on ebay and see how they lay there page out.

those are the big ones.

o yea dont make your action with a reserve(i hate that so bad and other ppl to)

i have sold somethings and still need to sell more but yea ebay is nice.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:06 PM

im just tryin to get rid of some stuff for my bike that i really dont plan on using. i got a swingarm that is powdercoated and all the bearings to go with it (just not in it lol), my pc3 cause i thought about it and adding just 3-5 more hp aint worth it, and my alarm cause i honestly dont have the time to put the thing on and would rather sell all this stuff and put it towards payin off my bike which i shoulda done in the first place. Figure wit all that i could get like at least $800.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:18 PM

I've seen swingarms go for $50, pc3s for $150, and maybe $1-150 for an alarm. I dont think youll get nearly $800.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:24 PM

well we shall see i guess. i wish i would seen a pc3 go for $150, never seen that before for a 1krr. everything ive seen so far is more than $250. Same thing with the swingarm. And the alarm i have is well over $300 new, which it still is, just not in the box lol.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:04 PM

I don't think you'll get nearly $800 either. Maybe $250 for the PC, maybe $100 for the swingarm, and I'm not sure about the other things. I'm thinking about $400-$500 is more realistic.

My eBay advice is (and I've been a member for 4 years) to list your items on Saturday morning. This gets them the most exposure for peak eBay browsing times. When people do a search for an item that returns several pages, eBay sorts them automatically in order of the item that ends first. You have the option to change that, but a lot of inexperienced eBayers don't. A lot of buyers find what they want on the first few pages, and won't even look at the pages in the middle. That's why you want your item on the "tail" pages during the weekend.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:00 PM

i agree with James.. i would suggest not going and making a deal outside of Ebay or Paypal because they provide you insurance and can help you if anything goes wrong. Also, if shipping something, spend the extra money to have the package insured and have them tell you when it arrives so the person geting it will never say "i never got the package ".

Old 04-30-2007, 09:22 AM

Wellll, i was sittin round puttin the brake lines on my bike yesterday and ended up runnin into a lil snag. Ended up havin the pc3 and alarm sittin in my car at the time. All i have to say is that idle hands are the devils playground and now i aint sellin ****e . Got the back tire off and gettin ready to change out the swingarms and allready have the pc3 and alarm pretty much wired in, just need the new battery that is comin. Shoulda just left them at home lol.

Quick Reply: Selling on ebay