Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Selling on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Selling on Ebay

Xmas bonuses have been announced here and it will probably mean an upgrade for me before the year is out! I'm going to start looking at 03-06 600rr's!!!

This also means stripping my bike back to stock and selling off some stuff such as my RS3 slipon, an f4i cluster I was going to put on, a set of front/rear rotors, clear alternatives LED tail, spare wiring harness, some extra plastics, etc.

So here's my question, I've done plenty of business on the bay but only from the buying side... can anyone give me some basic info on selling on ebay?

Specifics I'm looking for are:

-- Best way to pack/ship -- do-it-yourself vs. take it to a place that does it for you (I have all the original packing from the stuff I'll be unloading)

-- Paypal -- what kind of cut could I expect them to take from my sales transactions? is there a better way to go about it or any "best route" to go with paypal for just using it to unload a few items since I won't be a big seller?

I'm sure there's some other info I'll need before moving ahead with this but I'm at a loss right now. Any other comments/criticism/experience is welcomed!

:icon_ bike:: icon_bike::icon_b ike:

Old 11-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chucky , bro use craigslist, its free and you keep all de cash. I wood still use paypal tho, unless you find a buyer local. E-bay sucks ive been ripped off by little old laddies and preschool teachers....watch yer back bro...ive had good luck with CR bud. peece

Old 11-20-2009, 03:21 PM

What Bam said. Go for Craigslist. Better deals, and it'd be in the range that you could just go pick it up instead of having to deal with shipping BS. I got my bike off CL and transaction went smooth, and I had no probs. +1 for CL

Old 11-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For shipping small items, use the USPS. The 'if it fits, it ships' makes it very simple to figure out shipping. Plus you can provide tracking. CL, you have to be careful. Here in Philly we've had a couple ripoffs of people, both buying and selling on CL.

Hmm... what ya looking for on the cluster / plastics? / wire harness?

Old 11-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

CL vs. EBAY

there are pros and cons to both, with craigslist you can deal locally and not have to worry about incuring charges. however with ebay your going to dip into a very large target audience.

there are scammers on both sides as well. in this sense use your head, if it doesnt sound right it usually isnt. i found an 06 Mustang GT on CL few months ago, emailed him about it and he replied that the car was currently overseas where he was stationed and that the price included shipping. BS...., i searched the VIN on google and it came up on a TX dmv. watch yourself.

use your head, put it on CL for free, if it dont sell after a few weeks try ebay once. also, evaluate your descriptions as well, take a moment to 2nd glance and ask yourself "would i call for this" make sure contact info is spelled/entered correctly, (made that mistake once).

Finally.....Be Patient.

Good Luck

-sparks-

Old 11-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by makin sparks
Finally.....Be Patient.

Good Luck

-sparks-
Nooooooo! If it doesn't sell in the 1st 5 minutes, sell it to me for 5 cents on the dollar

I'd actually recommend Ebay over CL for selling. Ebay + Paypal protects the seller as much as the buyer. Just make sure you're upfront about the condition of the item and respond via email to any correspondence. That way if someone files a complaint, you have records of all communication showing you cooperated.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Infantry11bdub
What Bam said. Go for Craigslist. Better deals, and it'd be in the range that you could just go pick it up instead of having to deal with shipping BS. I got my bike off CL and transaction went smooth, and I had no probs. +1 for CL
I'm not looking for deals... I'm selling stuff. Maybe you should read the post...

Thanks again for the feedback fellas.

I can see some of the benefits of CL, but here's my stance on it. For one, I'm not paying for shipping... the buyer is.. so that's not something I'm worried about. Hell I'll ship this stuff to china if the buyer wants if they pay the shipping!! On top of that, I don't want some random people coming to my place knowing I have valuable motorcycle parts (and a bike). Seems like it's just inviting some kind of rip off. I've heard a lot of horror stories about people getting idiots calling trying to make trades and trying to just lowball and not much in the way of serious offers and I'd rather just not deal with that stuff.

I don't mind paying a little to put up an ebay auction... but I'm not really clear on what their rates are. A buddy told me paypal takes something like 3%, and I'm ok with that.

Thanks for the tip on USPS, sounds like that'll be the way to go on all but the can.

I'm rolling out for the weekend now, but I'll hit you with a pm when I get into work on monday kuro about the cluster/harness and work on some pics for ya. My buddy called dibs on some of the plastics so I don't know what I'll have left there.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

Hey Chuckbear, congratulations you lucky bastage, lol. I've sold plenty on eBay through PayPal; never been ripped off. You're not going to ship anything until the money's in your account, you know? Heck, I've seen it stipulated that certain sellers won't sell to anyone with a 95% rating or less, lol.
Take really good pictures, and lots of them, also describe the items to the "T". Show the buyers that you care enough to show them what you're selling. Do this and you'll get plenty of bidders. Another thing, make the bidding end on a Friday night (payday).
As for charges, it's probably close to 5%-10% of the selling price, total (seller fees & PP). Small price to pay for not having to deal with people personally, imo. Also, as mentioned, ship everything USPS. They're the quickest & least expensive, and always get delivery confirmation.
As with packing, go out and get the supplies yourself. You don't need brand new boxes (dumpster diving). I have found that most folks like to feel like they're buying it from an individual, and not some corporate store.
Finally, always use a low starting price, but don't start at $0. I typically will list it at the absolute bare minimum I'd sell it for.

Last edited by Incognito; 11-20-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:52 PM

Put it on CL and Ebay, and call it a day. Just say in the auction you have the right to end the auction early, blah blah blah. USPS is your best bet like everyone said. Seems like you found your answer.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
I'm not looking for deals... I'm selling stuff. Maybe you should read the post...

Thanks again for the feedback fellas.

I can see some of the benefits of CL, but here's my stance on it. For one, I'm not paying for shipping... the buyer is.. so that's not something I'm worried about. Hell I'll ship this stuff to china if the buyer wants if they pay the shipping!! On top of that, I don't want some random people coming to my place knowing I have valuable motorcycle parts (and a bike). Seems like it's just inviting some kind of rip off. I've heard a lot of horror stories about people getting idiots calling trying to make trades and trying to just lowball and not much in the way of serious offers and I'd rather just not deal with that stuff.

I don't mind paying a little to put up an ebay auction... but I'm not really clear on what their rates are. A buddy told me paypal takes something like 3%, and I'm ok with that.

Thanks for the tip on USPS, sounds like that'll be the way to go on all but the can.

I'm rolling out for the weekend now, but I'll hit you with a pm when I get into work on monday kuro about the cluster/harness and work on some pics for ya. My buddy called dibs on some of the plastics so I don't know what I'll have left there.
FYI....dont bring no-bobdy to your house! tell them to meet you at a walmart parking lot... I'm with ya, I dont like peeps eye-humping my goods...

Quick Reply: Selling on Ebay