Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

To sell & upgrade or stay where I'm at

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:25 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As for the bike, my honest opinion is that you won't be aboard until next year...enjoy this riding season, but it does not hurt to list your bike for an amount you won't mind selling her? Who knows, someone may pay good money to buy. If so, sell it. If not keep it with relative and they try to sell it...(but I would sell it) ..after you have a baby and house, your priority will change. Some may not want to ride, some change to HD, myself with 3 kids....my love for a sport bike (CBR) will never change. When you have kids, full time job, house....I doubt you can make it to track days too often....especially a few $$$ hundreds each day sessions. Kids and a house is all the responsibility anyone can take on....so will try to avoid. I think of it as phases in your life, that you must do....get married, kids, house....track days on the side (when kids older) I have a 10, 5, 18months....not mentioning a wife.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rule 1) Ignore all the people who tell you a liter bike isn't necessary for the street. They might as well be driving around in a mid-90s Honda civic with that attitude because technically, motorcycles as a whole aren't exactly "necessary".

Rule 2) Buy the liter and be happy. Call it an ego boost, say you don't like screaming to get going, whatever else it may be... you won't be able to wipe that grin off your face for a month once you switch over.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rule 3) buy the 1k AND keep the RR for the track

Old 06-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was never one for speed but the s1k has almost changed my religion. I'm prolly going to sell Ororo.

It's not the power (and Yolie has gobs of it). She came with better... everything that I'd have to spend a lot of money to get. Better suspension, far better brakes, wider powerband... the list goes on. I NEVER saw myself with a liter, mostly fantasizing bout owning a BMW s1k. But I hate to say it: Yolie is a far better ride.

I haven't ridden the cbr1000rr (Ray's dealership doesn't have one to demo). But in shootouts, the CBR usually ranks one under the BMW ( 2012 Hypersport Motorcycle Shootout - Motorcycle USA). In that one they praise the CBR for easing into liter bikes because of the smoothness

Oh and as for the track comment: using most liter bike's full potential anywhere but a long straight on a track would prolly be suicidal for anyone not sponsored or dedicated to racing. A 600 prolly makes for a better track bike for most weekend track warriors.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raylee
Rule 1) Ignore all the people who tell you a liter bike isn't necessary for the street.
truth. by their logic, a 600 is utterly useless in that regard as well. no one would need to ride anything bigger than a 500 parallel twin. not to be disrespectful to anyone that feels that way, but you obviously have never ridden a 1000 then. it's just as easy to ride slow in traffic on a liter as a 600 is.

Last edited by Conrice; 06-13-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
truth. by their logic, a 600 is utterly useless in that regard as well. no one would need to ride anything bigger than a 500 parallel twin. not to be disrespectful to anyone that feels that way, but you obviously have never ridden a 1000 then. it's just as easy to ride slow in traffic on a liter as a 600 is.
Used to be guilty . I dunno if it was intentional or not but the s1k's torque doesn't really kick in till you'd already be violating the speed limit in most countries. Yolie can be really tame <10k rpm or < 1/2 throttle.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
That's the smartest thing you've ever said.

and we all know what is said in jest, is at least half meant in truth.
You type words of truth.

Originally Posted by estate4life
And if you really buy the house, alway get an extra bed + bath.....it's easier to set that as a goal before buying...then worst case, rent it out, with that extra few hundred a month, instead of 30yr fix, pay 15yrs fix at a lower interest. Your equity will build up so fast....but make sure you get reliable tenants, not drug addicts...LOL....I bought my first house looking for a 2 bedroom....knowing that I cannot afford a 3 bedroom...then an agent show me a 3 bedroom house, with 1 bed+bath that has a separate entrance from the side....knowing that I can easily rent it for $400/mo....I pull the trigger, turns out, it was the best decision of my life....to this day.

So don't buy small and try adding a room...too much hassle.
We have the same mind set. Even with out apartments we get an extra roomand bathroom and normally one of my wifes friends rents it out for 200-300 a month and thats all just extra money so we will do the same with a house. Plus i get the benefit of living with 2 females.

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I haven't ridden the cbr1000rr (Ray's dealership doesn't have one to demo). But in shootouts, the CBR usually ranks one under the BMW ( 2012 Hypersport Motorcycle Shootout - Motorcycle USA). In that one they praise the CBR for easing into liter bikes because of the smoothness

Oh and as for the track comment: using most liter bike's full potential anywhere but a long straight on a track would prolly be suicidal for anyone not sponsored or dedicated to racing. A 600 prolly makes for a better track bike for most weekend track warriors.
I havent ridden a new 2012 yet but just sitting on it feels so much better. Im afraid to ride it and be tempted to sell mine and buy right away so i think ill put it off for a bit.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

There is no replacement for displacement....

A seriously , rediculously, brilliantly intelligent man who doesn't always ride, but when he does its on a liter+ bike... said once.

You going to argue with that?

Old 06-14-2012, 03:54 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So a 900rr is a liter bike/displacement....can I get some clarification? I know it sounds dumb, but I never understand the borderline when a bike is consider liter class? I have own 600cc, 750gsxr, 900rr...Is the 750cc plus in the liter class?

All I know is after owning my 900rr, I've ridden a friend 600, it's not same no more.

Originally Posted by zaqwert6
There is no replacement for displacement....

A seriously , rediculously, brilliantly intelligent man who doesn't always ride, but when he does its on a liter+ bike... said once.

You going to argue with that?

Old 06-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

No. A liter is a 1000cc +

The 900 is and probably always will be an oddball.

Used to be anyway, sport bikes were 600 and 750 cause thats what you could race.

The CBR9 was supposed to be a 600, untill they shoe horned the 900 in there.

Quick Reply: To sell & upgrade or stay where I'm at