Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

To sell & upgrade or stay where I'm at

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To sell & upgrade or stay where I'm at

So i just got tasked with a deployment in march of 2013. I go to kuwait first and then from there im unsure of where ill actually be and wont know till it gets closer. Anyways this will allow me to save a good bit of money.

I dont know why this crossed my mind but i was thinking of selling my 600 and then buying a 1krr once i get back. I would obviously take it slow since it would be 7 months since ive ridden but what do you think? Just looking for some pros and cons. The only reason i wouldnt want to get rid of my bike is because of the work ive put into it already.

Whats your input?

Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a buyer's market worldwide at the moment.
I'd put the bike up for sale and see how it unfolds.......you can always make the decision when you're in the sandbox if a good offer comes up - never know.
Time is on your side - you know what you have in hand already, anything else is guesswork.....

Old 06-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nooooo.

keep the 600. AND Buy the 1k.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
It's a buyer's market worldwide at the moment.
I'd put the bike up for sale and see how it unfolds.......you can always make the decision when you're in the sandbox if a good offer comes up - never know.
Time is on your side - you know what you have in hand already, anything else is guesswork.....
Thats true. I plan on leaving it at my mother in laws place as her longtime boyfriend is a avid rider as well so he would maintain and be able to sell it for me.

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
nooooo.

keep the 600. AND Buy the 1k.

This is also an option but i think i may be getting out of the military after i get back and if thats the case im going to be buying a house so id want the money. But i also want a track bike for The Circuit of the Americas opening in Austin, TX.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
i also want a track bike for The Circuit of the Americas opening in Austin, TX.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:36 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Seems like you have a good storage place. Take your time and decide.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:46 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you really, really want the house. Focus on the house first....start planning & saving now....Once you have the house, get a bike is secondary. Sell everything and put lump sum together for the huge down payment....FYI: if you down less than 20% equity of the home, lender make it mandatory for you to buy PMI insurance. You can always buy another bike, but not another house....

Since you'll be on duty for so long, why risk anything tangible here....sell sell sell and put all $$$ into emigrant.com. Or any money market account that will yield you a return. Bike sitting their definitely won't do **** to help you buy your house. Chase the American dream...it's your estate

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-19-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 06-13-2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by outlawgibbs
I dont see any point in buying a 1k for a street bike unless youre going to use it on a dragstrip. And if you want to put a bike on the track keep your 600. If your bike is to slow youre not reving it high enough.
Haha trust me i know my bike is fast enough but id prefer something that isnt so high on the RPMs when cruising a freeway plus im love the look of the new 2012 1kRR.

But to tag on what estate4life said thats a very smart way to think of it. If all goes as planned i can get a house, join Austin PD, and afford a bike within a few months of being out of the military but only time will tell. Im with you on the house comes first. Plus the wife is getting baby fever.

Not the question is do i knock her up before i leave and not deal with it for the 6-7months or wait till i get back? lol
(The above statement is a joke. I wouldnt do that to her)

Old 06-13-2012, 04:46 PM

That's the smartest thing you've ever said.

and we all know what is said in jest, is at least half meant in truth.

Not that I approve of having children - it goes against my like ways - however... that could be the greatest possible way.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:58 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

And if you really buy the house, alway get an extra bed + bath.....it's easier to set that as a goal before buying...then worst case, rent it out, with that extra few hundred a month, instead of 30yr fix, pay 15yrs fix at a lower interest. Your equity will build up so fast....but make sure you get reliable tenants, not drug addicts...LOL....I bought my first house looking for a 2 bedroom....knowing that I cannot afford a 3 bedroom...then an agent show me a 3 bedroom house, with 1 bed+bath that has a separate entrance from the side....knowing that I can easily rent it for $400/mo....I pull the trigger, turns out, it was the best decision of my life....to this day.

So don't buy small and try adding a room...too much hassle.

Quick Reply: To sell & upgrade or stay where I'm at