Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Scam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scam?

I found a bike on craigslist for $4500.00, which was a 2003 Yamaha R6 with a limited edition paint job. I e-mailed the owner saying that I was interested in the bike got a reply.

Hi,

First of all I must mention that I will not negotiate the price $2,500 firm.
Reason for selling is that I just finished the divorce with my husband and this is one of the things that court left me.
I don't have a driver license so it's useless for me.It has 10,188 miles and is in very good running condition, garage kept,new tires,clear title.
At this time I'm in Miami, FL. As a payment protection for both of us I want to use eBay Motors Vehicle Protection Programs because they have a protection up to $50,000.
If you are interested to buy it please let me know your full name and shipping address and I'll start the eBay process immediately.
Look forward to hearing from you soon.

PS: I am not so good in bikes but you can call my ex hubby and he will help you with all your questions.3xx-8xx-6xxx. Ask for _____.

This is the reply I got from her...I asked her for more pictures of the bike and she has sent me clear pictures.

The post was made in the LA craigslist so I asked her where the bike is sitting at the moment and got an another reply saying

Hi again,

At this time the bike is being held in garage at shipping company in Miami FL.
It's ready sealed in an enclosed container along with a clear title and bill of sale signed by me and is only waiting to be delivered to a new owner.
All you will have to pay will be $2,500 and you will be the new owner of it.
Please let me know your full name and shipping address if you are interested to take it and I will start eBay transaction right away.
You will also have a 3 days inspection period after the bike is delivered to you to decide wether you will buy it or not.

I look forward to hear soon from you.

1st of all she wants $2500.00 for the r6 which seems way too good to be true...even though she has no use for it and has no idea how much the bike goes for. 2nd shipping the bike and saying that it will be confirmed and protected by ebay motors...I'm ready to purchase a bike, but this deal sounds too good to be true. Anyone think this is a scam?

Sorry this isnt a Honda.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Default RE: Scam?

i would ask her to set up an ebay auction and tell her you will pay cash in person.. see the title, make sure the vin matches the title..

DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR ADDRESS! Or your full name!

soo much information can be looked up at that point. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Sad but true.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:32 PM

I did not give her any information at this point. The problem I'm across the state...shes in Florida and I'm in California...

Old 04-14-2008, 07:33 PM

There were ads like this in my local craigslist as well with prices too good to be true. I e-mailed and got pretty much the same response except the bike was in Alaska awaiting shipment to a new owner. All I had to pay was $3000 including shipping - which is way to good to be true. I would avoid this one - it is a scam - at that price the owner would have no problem getting a local buyer to where the bike is.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:36 PM

True....the ad was up for $4500.00. As soon as I e-mailed the owner, the owner took down the ad.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:50 PM

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM. way to e z to sell a bike in the miami area, 15 min after it is posted it is sold, its a scam.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Friend and Hero ...

Sincerely doubt that the offer is legit have seen similar scams in the past. Usually what happens is when you ask them to start the eBay auction. They send you a e-mail saying that you stand a chance of losing the motorcycle. If they start the auction, and it is going to cost them more money than they had anticipated to sell it on eBay. So, then they ask you, just to send them the money directly by this time you are usually lured in to their confidence at a certain level and end up losing the money. If you want to have a little sport with them or check to see if there is any validity in their story. Ask them to give you the name of the shipping company, who is holding the crate. So you can contact them for exact measurements and weight so you will be able to make arrangements for delivering on your end and be very insistent on obtaining the shippers name and address of course if you get a name of a shipping company. You will be able to verify that fairly easily, along with a legitimate phone number and may be able to ascertain whether or not a crate even exists

Old 04-14-2008, 08:07 PM

Please don't tell me that you believed that for a second... the divorce story is the new "working in the uk, item is locked up 500 miles away from where i posted the add" crap.

If I told you that you had won the lottery here in mississippi where i live would you send me a thousand dollars to free up the millions that you have won?

come on, everything on the internet is a scam.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SCAM-0-RONI !

Old 04-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Friend and Hero ...

ORIGINAL: ARay

Please don't tell me that you believed that for a second... the divorce story is the new "working in the uk, item is locked up 500 miles away from where i posted the add" crap.

If I told you that you had won the lottery here in mississippi where i live would you send me a thousand dollars to free up the millions that you have won?

come on, everything on the internet is a scam.
Damn brother, haven't you heard, those are my winnings and they're already in a bank in Nigeria but I could use some help with the taxes and would be willing to split the proceeds with you [sm=pimp.gif]LOL

Quick Reply: Scam?