Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Saw a sad site today

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saw a sad site today

The kid that bought my ninja 250 came over cause his headlight blew and I had the old one. Guess I should have sold it to someone thats bike knowledgable, but I needed to get rid of it.

The seat had a tear, oil leve was almost non-showable in the site glass, the chain was O MY GOD ITS STILL ON LOOSE!, chain rusted, at the very end of the left side of the control arm had rusted knicks in it. The rear tires was worn pretty good so I guess he's been farting around on it. Makes me sad, BUT she's not mine anymore and I have to let her go.

Sunday I'm gonna change the oil on here. Gonna go back to dino oil since it was low so hopefully it'll help with oil consumption. I told him all 250's had a problem with oil shooting back up into the air filter box with the rpm's are at 1050 or higher. So hopefully when I check the air filter box it'll be full of oil. I'd rather it be that then the engine burning it.

Here's the real kicker. He went by a motorcycle shop and they said he didnt need a new chain just yet. The dam thing has over 16k and its the original chain that is WAY ****IN LOOSE, like I can pull on it at the back of the rear sprocket and the teeth show, plus rust. They SAID he didnt need a new chain.

Ok I dont care if you work at a moto shop or not, but hiring young guns/squids to work on people's bikes that they worked hard to get is ****ING STUPID!!!!!!!!!! Plus he's stupid for not getting a new customer and o ya whats that other thing you need to keep a business running..................*thinking*............... O ya, WORK!!!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Saw a sad site today

Breaks your hearts doesn't, I sold my BMW Boxer to this young guy, I bought it 2nd hand myself, but had put a lot of TLC, plus full set of stainless pipes & headers, plus BMW factory manual, mate it was spic when I sold it. 18 months later I was riding in to town & saw it parked outside the BMW dealers place, could not believe how ****ty it was, corrosion on the motor & frame, chrome pitted......... Still I got more than I paid for it (they still sell at that price now & I sold it in 85).
As for the shop telling this young guy he did not need a new chain, pathetic.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I have sold a few old muscle cars in the past i really hated to part with. Never sell something you like locally, when it goes i never want to see it again, just for the reasons mentioned above. Find someone from another town to buy it.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Banned

Me and a couple of buddy's have been considering opening a bike shop in town. It's stories like this that fuel that fire even more.

Long gone are the days of the shop also being, "the hangout." I mean, don't get me wrong, there are still those circlesbut it's all business for the most part these days. The almighty dollar can kiss my ****...

After I'm finished using it

Old 05-14-2008, 12:47 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Can i still get a job Kid I am ready to pack up and move whenever you tell me to.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Banned

I sold one of my old bikes (which I kept in immaculate shape) to a woman locally. I saw the bike a month later at a bike night North of Pittsburgh, and that it was dented and scratched like it had gotten in a fight with a train. She told me "yeah, I dropped it 4 or 5 times learning to ride." AHHHHHHHHH, THAT'S WHAT NINJA'S ARE FOR!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 07:06 AM

How old was the bike when you sold it to this kid? In all fairness, the bike shop probably looked at the bike last year before the kit beat on it bad and stretched everything all to hell. Some people have no concept of time and they don't realize that checking the chain every few hundred miles in mandatory, not optional.

I hope you politely explained the dangers of running with such a loose chain and the necessary neeed for proper maintenance.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:41 AM

That is sad, but it's not your bike any longer so it's up to the new owner to treat it the way he wants. It's cool you help him out. I sold my 95 Mustang (Show Car) to my Bro in FL and he trashed it within a year and traded it for an Exploder after he wrecked it. I could have got it back last year, but it's trashed and the kid wanted way more then it's worth so I feel your pain.

The dealer I got my bike from and use to use for service has a bunch of punk kids working there and it makes you feel a bit uneasy about having them work on your bike. The dealer that just did my clutch charges a bit more per hour, but has older guys working there and the seem to get the bike done faster too.

It does see like the bike needs a new chain and sprockets, but if the dealer wanted to loose out on the sale then F'um. Maybe you could do the work for the kid and make a few bucks on the side.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: MikeInCtown

How old was the bike when you sold it to this kid? In all fairness, the bike shop probably looked at the bike last year before the kit beat on it bad and stretched everything all to hell. Some people have no concept of time and they don't realize that checking the chain every few hundred miles in mandatory, not optional.

I hope you politely explained the dangers of running with such a loose chain and the necessary neeed for proper maintenance.
I wouldn't give most of those monkeys ourt there the credit for being able to remember tying their show much less a random bike a year ago...

TK, don't sing it bring it

Old 05-14-2008, 07:06 PM

ORIGINAL: MikeInCtown

He just got a new job and its right by the shop so I'm not long at all. I told him to stay off of it till sunday when he comes over. He's calling for pricing for a new chain/sprockets/labor.

I would do it, but I've never installed a new chain and the only ones I trust are the crimp kind and I just dont want to do it. Its a pain in the *** tighting the chain while making sure the wheel is straight. Took me an hour to just adjust it when I had the new tires put on.