Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

SAFETY STANDOWN

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAFETY STANDOWN

HOLY SMOKES you guys....WTF is with all the wrecks. As a 13,000 Hour Corporate Jet Captain and 25 years in aviation, we have a twice a year "Safety Standown"...where we dont fly that day. We review accidents, go over safety procedures and policies, review and inspect all our safety gear and precautions...etc. etc. I realize that this is impossible for us here on the forum...but it worth noting that this stuff works.

So...I'll be the wise old owl here...Dont flame me...I'm trying to do the right thing

Is your safety and ridinggear in tip top shape?

Is your motorcycle properly maintained...do all your lights work?

Do you ride defensively? Act like everyone is a drunk driver out to get you

Do you ride with your high beams on all the time or have the HID Kit?

Do you obey your local and state laws within reason?

Have you completed a MSF course with emergency escape manuever training and knowyour physical and mental limitations?

Do you talk with everyone before you go on a group ride with established ground rules?

What's the common thread with all these accidents lately?

I don't have all the answers, just want to get everyone thinking here. Safety and your lives.......its up to you.

The Wise old Owl...

RED [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Default RE: SAFETY STANDOWN

THANK YOU!!

some one stickey this thing!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Amen, andi will add one as it saved me a lot of skin today.

Do you have ALL the appropriate riding gear.

I will vouch, many many years of riding, sportbikes for more than 10 years, i had never gone down on the street till today. I had all my gear on, and let me tell you folks who have not fallen yet, IT F*$@%N HURTS. I know that may be slightly abrasive, but so is concrete.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:44 PM

hurts like hell..and when the sherrif comes to your house the next day to show his wife that you are ALIVE..alls you can think is "thank god i spent $800.00 on that gear"..i broke alot of bones and went through some surgerys..at 17 i bounce back fast..you old farts might no be so lucky j/k!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

^ WHO YOU CALLIN OLD..................Oh yeah

Old 03-27-2008, 12:52 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

I will vouch, many many years of riding, sportbikes for more than 10 years, i had never gone down on the street till today. I had all my gear on, and let me tell you folks who have not fallen yet, IT F*$@%N HURTS. I know that may be slightly abrasive, but so is concrete.

Yes it does!! Just wait a couple days, you will start to have bumps bruises and pains you did not think were possible. I am feeling like an old *** man right now. Body takes a little bit longer to recover when you get older (31). I dont remember feeling like this when I went down at 19.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:24 AM

Thanks for the post Red! Well needed. I'll adda few more:[*]Have you've done an Ego check before the ride?[*]Have you given your tires enough time to warm up?[*]Have you've survey'd the route very recently?

Old 03-27-2008, 06:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T-CLOCS Inspection Checklist MSF information
http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/T-C...nChecklist.pdf

[ul][*]T- Tires & Wheels
Tires, Wheels, Brakes[*]C- Controls
Levers and Pedal, Cables, Hoses, Throttle[*]L- Lights
Battery, Headlamp, Tail lamp/brake lamp, turn signals, Mirrors, Lenses & Reflectors, Wiring [*]O- Oil
Levels, Leaks[*]C- Chasis
Frame, Suspension, Chain or Belt, Fasteners[*]S- Stands
Center Stand, Side Stand
[/ul]Curiosity....do you typically carry tools around with you?

Old 03-27-2008, 07:21 AM
Banned

People are rusty after a long winter of not riding. Take the first few hundred miles real easy.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:57 AM

I am NOT trying to bring up a heated debate and I know this has been discussed before, the only item I am curious about is having high beams on all the time - I know both sides of the argument (being seen vs. being blinding) - I was just wondering if anybody has found any hard data that says having high beams on all the time is truly safer. Currently I am a one eyed rider but I'll open that other eye if it can be proven that it is safer. I know when I'm in my cager I HATE bike high beams and it's pretty distracting, so when I ride I don't want people in front of me to be distracted since they are somewhat of a buffer between me and whatever lies ahead...

great post though, being raised under a jet engine mechanic / mechanical engineer I learned to treat all of my machinery with the utmost respect, including cleaning and maintaining.

Quick Reply: SAFETY STANDOWN