Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Saddened with a Unwanted Gift

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Friend and Hero ...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddened with a Unwanted Gift

I'm putting this out there more of a vent because there's nobody I have face time with. It would not bring them down to so Please no jokes unless they're meant to cheer me up some of you may recall back in the old gun thread that has been up and down a few times. I discussed a M 14 rifle that was to be mine. When my uncle passed away. Well that day came on Friday night while sending out some PM messages I received a phone call concerning my favorite uncle telling me he had just passed away of a heart attack. 63 yrs old, served from Vietnam to the first Gulf War. He was more like a second father. He was someone that I could approach without fear of being chastised for screwing up and someone that would not rat me out for making these kind of mistakes. He simply would help me put things in order and make the best effort possible to guide me in the right direction. Now my father he is a good man. But if I had screwed up. He would come down on me like a ton of bricks. My uncle was vastly different in his approach. We had not been super close over the last year. But he is the man that took me hunting and is the man that fine tune my trigger work. He's the man that introduced most all of us to hot rods and motorcycles, allowing me to take the steering wheel and the handlebars long before my parents felt it was appropriate. He was the only one that had the courage to take 10 of us at a time to the movie theaters by himself. And I'm talking about a group of 6 to 10 year olds. I asked him later on. When I became grown, what was the motivation behind efforts like that. He said simply just to spend time with all of us I struggled the last three days to get through the funeral being the rock for those who needed me. But this is the first person in my life in a very long time. I have lost that I fill the void will never be filled. Christmas is on our doorstep and little HC has no understanding of the hardship that has fell upon us. And I'm struggling to put a smile on my face to make it through the next two days. Don't know whether I'm going to be able to pull this off . And doing my damnedest not to feel sorry for myself. I realize I'm one of many people. He had a profound impact on I am going to stop rambling now and catch you guys later... Merry Christmas to you all

Old 12-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Saddened with a Unwanted Gift

It´s really the good memories that are cherished. He has been a great influence on you, be thankful you had the opportunity to experience it. It´s rough, I´m sure. Doctors told my family that my dad had 6 months to live a week before Christmas. Its a tough thing to go through, but again just cherish all that he has done for you and do your best to live up to that vision.

Merry Christmas, HC.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:55 PM

Sorry to hear.. Remember the best not the worst.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:01 PM

RIP, you're family is in my prayers HC

Old 12-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Retired Moderator

So sorry my friend. Sent you a PM...

Old 12-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Registered Users

my condolences HC...i know what it is like to lose someone like that....focus on what he taught you and be the best man you can be...from the sounds of it...that's all he ever wanted for you...do him proud (on a side, though only knowing you via the board, i am sure he is looking down on you extremely proud of who you have become).....

best wishes....at some point, i can promise you, it will get easier, you'll never forget, but it will get easier....take care bud!

Old 12-23-2008, 02:24 PM

im really sorry HC. as someone said, just remember he's looking down on you proud of the man you have become. make him proud, and remember the good times you guys had together.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)

My condolences. It's never easy to lose someone close, and harder still when it's unexpected. My prayers are with you and yours.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Retired Moderator

My heartfelt condolences. Sorry to hear about your uncle HC. Better to focus on the life lived as you are doing.

I am standing upon that foreshore.
A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength and I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white clouds just where the sea and sky come down to mingle with each other.
Then someone at my side says, "There! She's gone!"
"Gone where?"
"Gone from my sight, that's all". She is just as large in mast and spar and hull as ever she was when she left my side; just as able to bear her load of living freight to the place of her destination. Her diminished size is in me, not in her. And just at that moment when someone at my side says, "There! She's gone!" there are other eyes watching her coming and other voices ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!" And that is dying.
- Victor Hugo

Old 12-23-2008, 02:55 PM

Cherish the memories he gave you. He sounds like he was a great person hc. You sound like a great person as well for helping others in your family cope with the loss. I hope you find some time for yourself and have a great christmas.

Quick Reply: Saddened with a Unwanted Gift