Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Sad story.... *A bad feeling may have saved my life*

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sad story.... *A bad feeling may have saved my life*

RIP

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205963

I normally ride my bike to work to beat the commute and help reduce the cost of gas. Over the course of the last two years, I have met a riding buddy who is a guy that rides an R6. I can only think of a handful of days where we have not found each other somewhere during the early part of our commute. This was never a planned meeting, just sheer luck. As a result of our daily “meeting” we have come to recognize each other and even wave goodbye when I take my exit, regardless of who leads or follows.

Today, I while getting ready for work I kept having a bad feeling about riding my bike. Enough so that I left the bike parked and drove to work. While sitting in the commute traffic towards the end of my commute, I saw my riding buddy pass me in the commute lane (right on time) doing that I would guess to be around 70 or 75mph, which was the flow of traffic in that lane. Moments later, I saw what I can only describe as a cloud of dust and debris about a half mile up the road. I was close enough to see what I thought was a bike fly over the top of a full sized pick up truck but far enough away where I couldn’t see what type of bike or what had really happened. When I got closer to the accident, I saw a motorcycle that was in two pieces with the front end in one piece (minus the front tire) and the remainder of the bike in another piece. There was nothing left of the plastics and the tank was almost completely smashed. With the exception of the blue tank, bike itself was unidentifiable. The rider was lying in the middle of the commute lane, face down and motionless. It was then that recognized the riding gear and helmet to be that of my riding buddy. Unfortunately, I was trapped in by other traffic leaving me unable to pull over to help him, which will haunt me for a long time to come.

I work as a dispatcher so I was able to watch the CHP logs and listen to the radio traffic at work and found he had been transported to the local trauma center, alive. Later that morning one of my coworkers was at that same hospital and learned that the rider had died shortly after arrival as a result of his injuries. The CHP officer told my coworker that a driver had tried cutting into the commute lane (that he should not have been in to begin with since he was a single occupant) because he was running late and didn’t see the motorcycle. The motorcycle was struck by the driver then hit again by a truck that was behind him.

We had never spoken to each other and I didn’t even know his name but I know I have lost a friend. I also know had I not listened to the bad feeling I was having this morning it may have been me. In the future if I ever have a bad feeling like that again, I will listen to it and leave the bike parked. I also know it will be a long time before I ride in commute traffic again, if ever. If I do, it will never be the same. RIP….

^^^ I can somewhat relate to this..... I`ve had a few of the same type of riding buddies, as I`ve been commuting on my bike every day for the past 4 years. When I was in south Florida, I`d see a guy on a green Kawi headed south on the T-pike as I went north, and even with a large cement wall divider between the N & S lanes, he would always throw up a big full arm wave at me over the wall. Saw him almost everyday in the mornings, and sometimes in the evenings headed the other way. Then here in GA I`d see the same guy on an R6/R1 headed south on Rt. 81 every single day as I went north into town. Saw him every single day like clockwork.... didn`t matter how cold it was or anything, every day. We`d always give each other a big wave too. I`d feel the same was as this guy if I saw something happen to either of them... that`s rough!

Those HOV lanes are dangerous though.... I used to take it everyday on I-95 down in south Florida, and you`d be doing 70 mph past 3 or 4 lanes of nearly stopped traffic, and there was always some idiot trying to cut over. I was always super paranoid about it, and watched that lane very carefully, and always stayed to the left part of the lane so that if somebody did do that I might have a chance to bail onto the shoulder.

Always gut wrenching to hear these stories, not just because of the death of an innocent rider, but also because the idiot that killed him will more than likely walk away with just a slap on the wrist [:@]

RIP to the rider.... please be careful out there guys!!!

Old 11-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sad story.... `A bad feeling may have saved my life`

RIP buddy, thats a sad story for sure. I've gotten that "bad feeling" in my gut once before too. I stayed off my bike that day till it passed.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man, that's a really sad story. I'm glad you shared it with us though...

RIP

Old 11-19-2008, 02:26 PM

Damn that sucks.

I`m sure a lot of us have these bad feelings. I know HC said that Swt had one the day they got into and accident. I had one the day I had my most recent accident as well as the day my ex told me it was over (though that might have been more predictable). What do you think gives us these premonitions?

Old 11-19-2008, 02:28 PM

Horrible, that is so sad. No one wants to ride their bike up here in Maine, only buddies I have are people who ride when its 60+ degrees and sunny.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: woo545

Damn that sucks.

I`m sure a lot of us have these bad feelings. I know HC said that Swt had one the day they got into and accident. I had one the day I had my most recent accident as well as the day my ex told me it was over (though that might have been more predictable). What do you think gives us these premonitions?
...had one the day I dumped my F2. In fact, I kept imagining hitting the ground a few days before...

Old 11-19-2008, 03:33 PM

Sad ****, gives me goosebumps reading stuff like that. I get a bad feeling almost everyday though, just because I know what the possibilities are. I always sit on my bike in my garage, take a deep breathe and get into a riding mentality before pulling out.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:06 PM

yeah thats pretty depressing make yah feel like crap. espec if that was your "riding buddy"

Old 11-19-2008, 04:07 PM

I've had those feelings too. Always listen to your gut, ALWAYS! Like a 6th sense. My cousin wrecked his and said he had a bad feeling before going out that night and that he should've listened to it, now he's paralized, but alive & in good spirits.
Ride safe!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Banned

That's craziness man...I've also had those "bad feelings" before...and haven't listened to them yet, but they make me more aware of my surroundings and more likely to stay calm on the bike.

Quick Reply: Sad story.... *A bad feeling may have saved my life*