Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Rossi and sponsors

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rossi and sponsors

A buddy of mine is a huge Yamaha fan (I know, I know...I'm trying to convert him!), anyways, we got on the topic yesterday about Valentino Rossi. In 2005 his sponsor was Gauloises, 2006 was Camel and this year it's Fiat. You would think that one of the best riders to ever live would have 1 and only 1 sponsor for a couple of years, if not more. I know that he was contemplating on whether or not to go to F1 and playing around with Schumacher's F1 Marlboro sponsored Ferrari, and being that his sponsor last year was Camel, it was brought up that he'd of stayed with Camel this season if he weren't serious about going to F1, so that's why he has a new Sponsor this year. So, is it true, do you think that Rossi's going to F1 or do you think that he'll stay with MotoGP?

Old 05-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: Rossi and sponsors

i say let him go on to f1 and make room for some very talented new players looking to move into the motogp class. rossi is a excellent rider no doubt but it get tiring seeing the same people win over and over again (that applies to any sport)

Old 05-23-2007, 08:25 PM

Ok, so I'm going to take a swing at a hornet's nest here: [sm=wootwoot.gif]
Rossi, yeah he's a good rider and I admire his skill--butthis year it seems as soon as conditions are less than perfect, he gets all whiney or hejustgives up. Man itjustseems like he looses his heart as soon as he's not running within the top three. I mean look at Quatar. He gave Stoner everything he had and he just couldn't run the Ducati down on the straight. That's the Rossi I know, but it seems like every other race where he's down, he just kind of hangs out, or drops back...WTF? I think maybe he's a little spoiled in MotoGP, and he's getting soft. I say move Rossi over to F1. Let Stoner have a year or two, or let the good ol boys battle it out.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:52 PM

rossi is a excellent rider no doubt but it get tiring seeing the same people win over and over again (that applies to any sport)
Um, have you been watching this year? He isn't doing bad at all no doubt (2nd in stadings), but he has got what, 1 win so far? Plus last years loss to Hyaden wasn't that sweet with him.

I say he at least gets ONE more title to go out on top. Why retire if he doesn't get it this year and didn't last year? If anything, he should be looking at another year just because how well others are riding so far this season.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:03 PM

I hear he wasn't thrilled with having a tobacco sponser. Was happy with Repsol, but they wanted him to change to the bike, instead of working around him. Yami worked with him and gave him whatever he wanted and listened to his input. Not carved in stone or anything so don't flame me for being incorrect or anything, just thought I read that somewhere. I like Rossi, he has a care free attitude and an aww-shucks kinda banter about him, like he doesn't take it too serious, more for fun. Hayden.....ehh, I dunno yet. I like him for Honda and all, but everytime I see the guy mess up he cries or throws a little mini tantrum. Sure the guys get pissed and all, some show allot of reserve, but he isn't one of them. Again, just my .02, don't lynch me for not being haydens biggest fan.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Retired Moderator

...I didn't know Hayden was riding this year [&:]. I like Rossi, too, Troop, and a lot of it has to do with his attitude. He is out there having fun...what would you give for that, eh,guys?

Old 05-24-2007, 01:20 AM

about the sponsor thing, your talking about team sponsors not Rossi's personal sponsors
A LOT of the races they go to in Europe don't allow tobacco names to be displayed (the reason for the "GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" in place of Gauloises and "TEAM" or the riders name in place of Camel and thebar code in place of Marlboro for Ducati)
That combined with theimmense cost of running a MotoGP team (especially a competitive one) isn't exactly thrilling to tobacco companies

Rossi could practicallyfund the entire team just from his personal sponsors but thats his money not the teams, its the teams themselves that are having a lot of trouble getting sponsors (all of them not just Yamaha)

Rossi is the king of this sport plain and simple, he's come on some hard times but I wouldn't put him down for "giving up" he's never been known to look like he's trying hard, in the past he never had to
he's always just kind of strolled in the paddock whenever he woke up and chill in his motorhome between riding, he's never looked like a hard working rider but everybody thats worked with him has had nothing but praise for his dedication to making the bike and himself the best possible. This doesn't always work out for the best as we've seen last year
This year he's done really well, yes Stoner has beaten him but its the first year for the 800s, its not supposed to be as simple as it is after years of bike developement, all the manufs are working on their bikes, Ducati came right out with unbelievable power but I'd be willing to bet the others (Yamaha included) are going to keep at it and eventually it will all even out, especially since Rossi and Edwards are probably the best riders for developing a bike in the business. I have a feeling Rossi would have hadat least one more win this year had the Yamaha been as fast as the Ducati

he's not going to F1, he was considering that when he was dominating MotoGP and getting bored but he's obviously not bored with the competition anymore (plus he's said he isn't going to F1)
eventually we'll see him doing the rally car thing after he retires but I would bet it'll be another few years before that happens, especially if Stoner takes the championship this year

as for Nicky, he had a big enough challenge just adapting to the 800 riding style but now he's got to adapt to it without any front end feel
ask any pro racer whats the one thing you need to carry more cornerspeed, grip and front end feel. The Honda only has one of the two. Bottom line is, he won't be competitive until Honda fixes their chassis and he gets some serious track time on it. If you wanna know how bad the front end problem is, HRC actually admitted there is a problem. Thats not something they do...

Old 05-24-2007, 01:27 AM

Please someone correct me, but this talk of Rossi retiring???? What...the guys like 25 right?????

Old 05-24-2007, 01:41 AM

28 I believe, thats getting near old man status in racing terms though lol

its not so much of an issue now that he's not dominating, but before 2006 he had one the very top level championship 5 times straight with only a few small challenges so he had talked about moving to car racing, he likes rally cars but also tested F1 cars.
I can't even imagine how many millions he's got stashed away by now but he's been making at least $30 mil a year for several years now so he should be pretty well set if he wanted to do something else

Old 05-24-2007, 01:42 AM

For sure. Showing my ignorance here, but wasn't he champion before Hayden....and the year before that? I mean, a dude has a bad year and hes done?

Quick Reply: Rossi and sponsors