Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Road Rash

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Rash

Anybody have any thoughts on speeding up the healing process on some wicked road rash ????

Old 05-13-2011, 10:05 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Oh no sounds like you went down. Keep peroxide and Neosporin on it and that is about all you can do.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once the wound has closed and you don't need to worry about infection, hydrocortisone cream should help healing. You can get 1% solution over the counter, or maybe see your doctor to get a prescription for stronger.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:06 AM

Once it's cleaned out and starts to heal, I wouldn't worry too much about the peroxide and neosporin. Actually keeping it aired out and allowing it to crust up will help it heal faster and keep further infection out. Vitamin E and C to boost your immune response and promote cell growth.

I've never had road rash from the motorcycle, but god knows I've had tons of it from skateboarding, mt biking, road biking, falling off cars screwing around, etc. If it gets a little slimy when it's wet, that's normal, as long as it's not getting crazy deep red around the wound, you'll be alright.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:50 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Do. Not. Scratch.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont use peroxied after the first 3-4 days becuase it kills new cells as well. I had some deep rash and it only took about 2 weeks till i was able to ride again. After week 4-5 days i stopped using Peroxied ans started rubbing Neosporin on it. Kept it uncovered as much as possible so it would stay dry.

If you have to cover it to wear pants and such put a thin layer of neosporin on the gauze to keep it from sticking. If you normally dont get alot of protein in your diet it may take a bit longer to heal so take more in. Other than that enjoy the pretty scar at the end.

EDIT: I found this as well. http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=193545

Old 05-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wrap during the day , if there's a chance of banging it, Neosporin and air the rest of the time. The neo will keep it from scarring as much, and if it drys out tends to become inflexible. Skin should be able to move or it hurts when it tries to stretch as you use it.

Don't forget, tetanus is commonly found in dirt, so consider renewing your immunization if it's been more than 5 years. Trust me on this, tetanus sucks. They don't call it lock-jaw for nuthing.

Ern

Old 05-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

your body comes equipped with an immune system - USE IT.

don't over do the peroxide (just like cbrfenatic said, after the first few days, stop using it) and don't too much neosporin unless its in a joint area (elbow or knees because it will crack and you don't want that).

sorry about the road rash. it sucks. but it will go away. keep it clean like normal (taking showers and what not) and you'll be fine.

i hope it wasn't M/C related. you had a pretty 954. let us know. i'll help you get the rash off the bike as well if need be.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:22 AM

ive got some embarrassing road rash as well. I dropped the bike at about 5 mph, dont ask, ive just got some scratches on my legs and a small cut on my hand. It hurts like a biotch since i ignore it and rub it with a towel after i shower and stuff but it seems to be healing pretty quick anyway. I was a n00b and wasnt wearing any gear besides my helmet and some mechanic gloves since i wasnt leaving the block i keep my bike on. big mistake. just keep it clean and it should heal pretty quickly.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Registered Users

Ya I went down on a patch of sand in the middle of the highway while riding with some friends down in Philly . All I have to say is, that if I didn't have my gear on I'd would not be typing this right now . All in all I walked away with road rash and my bike will live to ride another day , so not to bad .

Quick Reply: Road Rash