Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

road debris

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default road debris

Hey all - I ride daily and today I was cruising down the highway when I noticed a large black object in the middle of the road. It was a truckers tire that had come off and fallen wayside. It wasn't in my lane but could have been. I was wondering if people knew how to handle debris if you CANNOT get out of the way. For example say I had to ride over it... any good advice or techniques (other than a few choice words right before I hit the sucker).

Old 09-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Default RE: road debris

avoid debris at all cost. ive never run over one of those 18 wheeler tires but ive been told they wrap around when you run over them. if i can't avoid it then i would handle as if i was going over a speed bump.

Old 09-09-2005, 01:20 PM

Definitly avoid if you can. If there is no way at all I would try to slow down if I could or just take it straight on, atleast that is what MSF says. don't hit at any angle or anything if you can. Those tires are a bitch though, it would be a very bad situation.

Old 09-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course, avoid anyting at all cost. Same thing happened to me yesterday but it was as if someone dropped a cinder block in the middle of the outside lane and it crumbled...nothing the average car couldn't handle with their tires but a 120 at over 60, no way. This is what I have learned if I had to go over something big...try to do a smoothe quick controlled slow down and then throttle a little to get upward momentum on the front wheel. This is the same as you would do if you had to go over a 2x4 or something. Nothing or no one is perfect at it but it's a last resort.

Old 09-10-2005, 09:18 PM

Ditto what Josh and Map said - slow as much as you can, then try to lighten the front end as your tire strikes it... And don't grip the bars too tightly - the bike will handle it,

Old 09-11-2005, 03:39 AM

We get tires all over the place here in Dubai. Never been over them thankfully. What I would like to know is has anyone ever gone over one and how did you handle it?

Old 09-11-2005, 08:39 AM

DO NOT.. and I REPEAT.. DO NOT.. brake over loose debris... you will slide... if you have time to brake, you have time to vear.. never do both at once... if you can't get out of the way for some reason look at why you couldn't... probably tail gating... there's just no telling what will happen...other than that look at is as a speed bump... loosen your arms.. you shouldn't be too tight anyway... shift your weight back to let the front end rise over it and then rise up off your seat ever so slightly as to not get knocked by the rear.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: f4i_reborn

DO NOT.. and I REPEAT.. DO NOT.. brake over loose debris... you will slide... if you have time to brake, you have time to vear.. never do both at once... if you can't get out of the way for some reason look at why you couldn't... probably tail gating... there's just no telling what will happen...other than that look at is as a speed bump... loosen your arms.. you shouldn't be too tight anyway... shift your weight back to let the front end rise over it and then rise up off your seat ever so slightly as to not get knocked by the rear.
Yes braking is bad. If you can brake before do, if not just go straight on.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:34 AM

Make sure that you check your tires afterwards!! Going over something hard can cause a minor hole to a blowout. Ya never know. Just be carful. I had to ride over a 2x4 that stretched across my lane in a small turn. Needless to say...that scared the sh*t out of me, but that's what I get for tailgating. The next day my front tire was flat from a very small...tiny...little hole/tear. It sucked big time and cost me alot.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:48 PM

I hit some **** before, too wide to go around or make fast correction I woulda endoed. Just blip the throttle and take your *** off the seat. It lifts weight off the front tire and makes it a lil less abrubt, but you get some nasty wabbles and possibly tank slappers if its big enough. Get a steering damper and it helps with crap like this, you regain control a lot faster. but basically, *** up, and throttle down and blip it back up, its not as bad.

Quick Reply: road debris