Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Riding Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding Shoes

So, I'm a new rider, and I've got a riding class coming up next weekend. They require that I wear "Over-the-ankle foot wear, not cloth or canvas." What do you wear when you ride? What is a good riding shoe that would meet the requirement. I always planned on riding with tennis shoes... is that stupid?

Old 11-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No its not stupid. Riding with tennis shoes arent gonna make you crash . But in the event of some accident, they arent gonna protect you nearly as well as boots or designated riding shoes. You should look around. Theres lots of companies that make great looking street riding shoes.

But the absolute smartest thing you can do is rock some motor sandals! Its all explained in this thread -----------------------------------------------------> https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/riding-sandals-118514/

Last edited by (951) Baby Shortee; 11-09-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Administrator - Retired

I generally wear my 8" steel toe work boots at a minimum. I have to wear them for work anyway.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously? After an accident, you can usually find tennis shoes a good distance from the rider... Sometimes with the foot still in them

Okokok, maybe not that bad. The skin does a good job of keep the foot attached to the body (not joking). The bit about the distance isn't a joke either

Any real riding shoes, like the ones I wear, will
  • be made of a material resistant to abrasion during a slide
  • will cover the ankle
  • will have impact armor protecting the ankle

You need ankle support regardless of whether you crash or not. Twisting an ankle while holding up 300lbs+ of motorcycle isn't a joke. If you go down and start tumbling, impact armor can mean the difference between bruises / soreness and a shattered ankle. And if the tennis shoes somehow stay on during the wreck, they will disintegrate sliding across the asphalt. Under them are your socks (good for about 1/4 sec), then your skin... Then your bone.

You can get away with a pair of Timberlands for the riding class. I rode wearing my steel toed work boots till I bought my riding shoes. But neither are designed for riding. Most times the cheapest pair of riding shoes (riding shoes usually don't extend far above the ankle and lack the comprehensive protection of riding boots) will outperform the best Timberlands and work boots on a motorcycle.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichSC
So, I'm a new rider, and I've got a riding class coming up next weekend. They require that I wear "Over-the-ankle foot wear, not cloth or canvas." What do you wear when you ride? What is a good riding shoe that would meet the requirement. I always planned on riding with tennis shoes... is that stupid?
Obviously you don't read the Off Topic section very thoroughly my friend. Rich I have the answer to all footwear needs, that I've recently brought to the attention of the CBRF community.

There is a group buy in progress so i'd join this thread soon and get in on the deal.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118514

Enjoy! and Ride safe!

Old 11-09-2010, 08:09 PM

That doesnt count Kuro! This thread is for the assumption that the rider is not a complete dumass and who knows what a gate is.... haha!