Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Riding on ice? I got my badge today

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding on ice? I got my badge today

Well today the weather was crappy, 40s and pouring rain all day (the ride into work still rocked). Stupid me rode my bike to work, and I was out at 7pm tonight. Fast forward to 7 PM and its 29 degrees out....yeah the roads were solid ice. 12 mile commute normally done in 15-20 minutes....55 minutes tonight. I have NEVER been so careful before, I put every bit of concentration into making sure I didnt crash. Well about 4 miles from home, an easy right hand turn, I mean like barely even a turn, i keep the bike as upright as possible and turn the bars (going about 30) and it started...I was facing north (going north) and the front wheel was about 45* out to the right, heading northeast. I slowly leaned and managed to straighten out the bike (no idea how) and slowed down to 20MPH. I was dragging my foot on the ground going around the real slow 90* turns and still sliding. Make it home a little before 8, and sure enough 15 minutes later the plows are out and all the roads are nicely salted. I was so intent on not crashing and I didn't albeit a bit mentally beat up. Toughest ride of my life...DO NOT RIDE ON THE ICE. Damn, looks like the cage tomorrow if there is gonna be more rain+sub freezing temps.

Oh and to make things better, the fog was so thick it eventually collected as ice on my visor I couldnt wipe away, so the last 2 miles I rode home were without a visor...crappy.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Default RE: Riding on ice? I got my badge today

Sounds like funGlad to hear you made out without takin her down. Works a little better with some studded tires

Old 11-28-2008, 07:38 PM

I know confidence is important, but I honestly felt like tonight was the night I would lose my wreck virginity...I was worried for the bike, not me, I always wear "too much gear".

Old 11-28-2008, 08:11 PM

Congrats on keeping it up. I've takin the dirt bike out on compact snow and ice. **** was so fun! But I went down a bunch.
Great job.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you had a rough night!!! glad to hear you got home in one piece, though. ice is no fun. just make sure you never have to get the 'deer badge' haha.

be safe, watch that weather report!

Old 11-29-2008, 06:23 AM

Geez Timmy

Next time call me and I'll pay for a cab home bro..

Riding on ice = Not good [:-]

Old 11-29-2008, 08:51 AM

Scary that.
When I was a kid, me and my mates used to take our dirt bikes down the army tank testing track. It was great fun in deep snow. We used to cain it on the staight, slam on the back brake, drop slide the bike, and skid on our *** through the snow and ice. Those bikes took some abuse.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:01 PM

^ +1 to that

Snow and ice is fun as hell on a dirt bike.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Timmy_Jones
Well about 4 miles from home, an easy right hand turn, I mean like barely even a turn, i keep the bike as upright as possible and turn the bars (going about 30) and it started...I was facing north (going north) and the front wheel was about 45* out to the right, heading northeast. I slowly leaned and managed to straighten out the bike (no idea how) and slowed down to 20MPH. I was dragging my foot on the ground going around the real slow 90* turns and still sliding.

I dont have a badge for ya...

but how bout a PIMP Cup..

Quick Reply: Riding on ice? I got my badge today