Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Riding to event with valet parking

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 02:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are waiters among my friends and family, they taught me to tip well, and I've worked in the service industry myself, for minimum wage, in a position that (as any good Reservoir Dogs character would gladly tell you) society didn't deem worthy of tipping. As a result, I tip over 20% regularly. But as mentioned above, $30 is exorbitant, especially when the valet literally doesn't do anything other than allow me to park my bike near him. I take my bike to the shop and for $30 they give me the royal treatment; oil, chain adjustment and lube, give the bike a once-over, quick wash, and back to me inside half an hour, and they are grateful for my business.

What you're describing (valets mistreating vehicles either directly or through negligence due to undertipping) sounds like a subtle, societally accepted version of a protection racket, and though I can accept that that's how things are, I am not willing to support that system.

I am glad I asked, because now I know better than to valet my bike. I can't afford it! I will try to hitch a ride or might just have to park a couple blocks away. Unfortunately there is a fair chance I won't have a car that day.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpncbr954s
Where do you work??? I have a holiday party coming up and and the uniform is dress attire. I dont think i want to go to a company event smelling like exhaust and road......You might not know it but there is a different smell to you when you take a motorcycle over a car/truck... I guess in my "line of work" I have to be professional when they say casual/business attire...Its the one chance to get out of uniform.....You could meet a coworker and catch a ride?????
Good point, but it's a video game company, so they expect a little bit of eccentricity out of us. Professionalism, too, but eccentric professionalism. ;]