Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Riding in bad conditions: How well does your bike handle it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding in bad conditions: How well does your bike handle it?

I just recently switched from riding a 1983 Yamaha Maxim 750 with a full touring kit to a 1996 Honda CBR600 F3. I have ridden my Yamaha in all weather conditions; some light snow, ice, thunderstorms, hail, high winds, and once in front of a tornado (long story there...didn't mean to). Granted, I don't like that kind of riding and I'm usually white knuckled and swearing the entire time. I am by no means an expert rider with only 20k miles under my belt, and I probably deserve to be missing a few body parts from riding when I shouldn't.

So, with the new bike, I'm a little fearful of how it will take the conditions my old Yamaha went through. Where I'm at, we get a LOT of high winds. Has a bike ever been just blown right off of the road? I had been told by someone else that sport bikes are more sensitive to bad road conditions, so no more winter riding? Am I doomed to now be only a fair weather rider?

Tell me about how your sport bikes handle bad conditions. I have a particular interest in the CBR600's.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Default RE: Riding in bad conditions: How well does your bike handle it?

I rode mine every day last summer.. rain or shine.. just have to keep your head on and not get stupid and it'll be fine... if it's midly windy I've never had a problem, but never rode in high winds... I wouldn't ride in icy conditions or a tornado or nothin... and it's still not going to be nearly as good as a touring bike... but don't worry and just pay attention...

Old 03-04-2007, 03:42 PM

PAY ATTENTION To the road conditions. I have ridden is some terrible winds, did that tornado thing you did about 8 months ago. In the high winds i have been blown across a lane and a half by super strong gust, needless to say that I tend not to ride when it is going to be that windy again, but some mild winds are just fine. I live in NM and the entire spring it is going to be windy as hell eventually you'll get to know your bike and what type of conditions it is ok to ride in.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:09 PM

Thanks a bunch for the responses. In what I've ridden in, I never said it was smart and I do my best to avoid those conditions. It took me 20 minutes to talk myself into riding down my ice covered driveway, but the Yamaha had to be ridden regularly since I wasn't storing it that year. I wish I had a lane and a half of room for the winds. If I get blown that far, I'm in the ditch. When I get out in the middle of nowhere and bad conditions arise is when I'm most worried. I have roadside assistance for the bike, but they don't have any "chicken" coverage. ;-)

Old 03-04-2007, 04:36 PM

I try to avoid riding on bad weather days. I like to ride in the best conditions possible. I enjoy it so much more.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:05 PM

Last fall, my Grand Canyon visit was actually an aborted ride to the coast, from ABQ. It was due to 80mph crosswinds which tried to pluck me from my mount. I hung on to the gas tank with my Kagels ! Theoretically, if one goes faster than the windspeed, one should have control. My experience was to slow the fack down, and visit parts of "Historic Route 66 ". Wet and heavy, Maevis and I have a flight weight of 550 lbs. so traction was a little sticky, with good responses. The cold is old ! My hands get like two blocks of frozen rock ! My tears freeze laterally upon my face ! Am I "Dumb" or, "Dumber" ?

Old 03-04-2007, 06:24 PM

i ride while the weather is good! But if there is that long stretch of rain or bad weather i end up taking her out anyways lol im a pushover..

Old 03-04-2007, 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Raven

Theoretically, if one goes faster than the windspeed, one should have control.
Errrmm..... huh??? I would need the actual physics of how that appears to happen explained to me. Do you know?

I did get a good chuckle out of the image of kagels gripping a tank.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:24 PM

Rain or shine baby!! I Just cant bring myself to get in the cage. LOL! I don't however, ride in Ice or snow. Well once, but it was a feak freezing rain after i'd already ridden to work. she handels it fine, i love the pilot powers! I can clutch up in a rain storm!! (not that I make a habit outa that..just wanted to see how they griped in the wet) as for wind, I'v been in some moderate stuff but nothin like you guys are talking about with the sweet kagle action.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bike handles bad conditions really well. Its me that has the problem.

Quick Reply: Riding in bad conditions: How well does your bike handle it?