Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Rider Down

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rider Down

Was out with a friend of mine a few days ago andhe saidone of his co-workers was recently killed in a single vehicle/motorcycle crash.
Back up a bit....this guy was telling my friend that he was looking to buy his first bike soon. The man was approx 50 years old or so, and from what I can tell from my friend (who doesn't know bikes) is that it was a metric cruiser ie: Star or VTX.
As I understand it, the guy was riding it home from the dealer and somehow lost control and hit a guy wire of a telephone pole and possibly the pole itself and was killed instantly.

As I tell everyone looking to buy their first bikeever, is to trailer it home or have an experienced rider do it for you and practice in your subdivision nice and slow for a few weeks to get a feel for everything.
Just a reminder to all to spread the word about doing that when you get your first set of wheels.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Default RE: Rider Down

ORIGINAL: dwhite645

Was out with a friend of mine a few days ago andhe saidone of his co-workers was recently killed in a single vehicle/motorcycle crash.
Back up a bit....this guy was telling my friend that he was looking to buy his first bike soon. The man was approx 50 years old or so, and from what I can tell from my friend (who doesn't know bikes) is that it was a metric cruiser ie: Star or VTX.
As I understand it, the guy was riding it home from the dealer and somehow lost control and hit a guy wire of a telephone pole and possibly the pole itself and was killed instantly.

As I tell everyone looking to buy their first bikeever, is to trailer it home or have an experienced rider do it for you and practice in your subdivision nice and slow for a few weeks to get a feel for everything.
Just a reminder to all to spread the word about doing that when you get your first set of wheels.

Sorry to hear the news. Moto's are not toys and you must respect the learning curve. It takes time to learn.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:02 AM
Banned

Older guys (like me) either have one of two mentalities:

1) Holy crap, I am old, I gotta be careful because you can't teach an old dog new tricks but I'm gonna ride and be F**King careful.

or

2) I've been driving a car my whole life, riding a bikecan't be any harder, I see young punks doing it,I'll just cruise around and look cool.

It sounds like that the size, weight and power of that big cruiser just got to be too much for him. It is a shame.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:51 AM

WOW that sucks, but if he was not a bike guy and was never really around them then I can see how it could happen. I am not a fan of the big bikes like that and feel way more comfortable on my CBR or another sport bike.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:18 AM
Retired Admin, January 2008 ROTM, Lord of Neon & L.E.D.s

Just goes to show that its not how old you are in age, but old in experience that holdsa greatervalue.
Sorry to hear about his accident.
LJ

Old 10-15-2007, 08:18 AM

Yea, if you've never riden anything your whole life then you definitly shouldn't just hope on anything and think you can ride it. When I first got my F3 I trailered it home and just rode it around my town for a month since it wasn't registered or anything yet to get a feel for it. The first few times going from 0 to 35 felt ridiculously fast and almost like it was too much for me at the time, where as now anything less than wot could put me to sleep. Its not even the speed or the acceleration so much as it is the fact that you turn by leaning, which is not something that you just immediatly pick up when you hop on a bike. After I experienced learning on my bike I would definitly not let any freind of mine ride their first bike home from anywhere. Its kinda like giving someone a gun and not telling them which way the bullet comes out.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:53 AM

RIP, sorry to hear