Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Retreadophobia

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:53 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retreadophobia

Does anybody else share my insane fear of 18-wheelers? More specifically, I'm absolutely terrified of those cheap *** retreads that they use. I always see those damn things on the side of the highway, and although I've never personally seen one blow, my dad took one in the windshield of his car one time. Idon't like being behind or beside 18-wheelers for this reason, as I ampetrified of hitting on of those damn things...whether you hit it mid-air or not, you're going down hard.

Anybody else have any weird phobias on their bikes?

Old 06-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Retreadophobia

I keep well away from them too ... on our motorways you still see huge chunks of tread from them on the hard shoulder ... also that aside why do people sit behind them doing 50mph on a 70mph motorway picking up loads of stone chips when they could effortlessly pass them ..it's most peculiar to me?? ... apart from the ugly view right in front of you too ... your view is totally blocked ..nope they just sit there thinking they are being good little motorists and being oh so careful ..I just think STUPID &&*%%*ERS ..lol

Oh and a friend of my mum's years ago got their wee car hit by a flying piece of tread from one of these things ... she lost control and went down the embankment wrecking the car ... if it can that to a car what can it do to a biker ...

Jules

Old 06-26-2008, 09:19 AM

On Mythbusters they verified that a piece of tread flying up from a truck could about take your head off.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:20 AM

18 wheelers dont like to keep there tires on .the 2 times i have been down to daytona, the i95 is littered with blow tires. the tires are about the size of a bike when there all spread out hitting one or getting hit by one would make anyone have a bad day

guess im afraid mostly Gravel. there are some nice twisties up north from where i live in a place called Westport Ontario. the locals there don't like bikers at all so they toss huge pieces of gravel in some of the turns, mostly the blind turns. we're not talking small pieces either, looks like some one took a sledge hammer to a huge stone and toss its remains on the shoulder of the turn.

I guess the only other thing would be suicidal birds, you know the kind when your driving by they dart in front of you. some times they veer off or they just make it by! i wouldnt wana get hit by a big bird ( especially not the one from sesame street wow that would hurt )

Old 06-26-2008, 09:23 AM

my wife is cared whenever i pass them in our car on the two lane interstate here in maine, afriad theyll drift out of their lane while im passing and push me between them and the guard rail.

jules what is a wee car? is that like a Wii mote? lol

Old 06-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hayden06F4i

A wee car is a small car ..lol ... what is a Wii mote??

Jules

Old 06-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

driving besides doesnt necessarily bother me because of the fact that their tires can blow out (which i have witnessed in a car) but rather because of their blind side more than anything. I'll definitely speed up or slow down if they're right next to me!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:02 AM

not so much 18 wheelers as those car transporters. especially when they have like an F-150 up top on the back end with only a chain holding it on, and about 2 inches of "track" behind the rear wheels. i always picture the svene from Bad Boyz II where the crazy *** hatians start rolling cars off the carrier in the chase scene.

Also, many many years ago, a large group of people in my extended family was in one of those airport like shuttles. not a bus, but same configuration. and a car fell off of one of the carriers nd hit the shuttle. several people died. So anytime i see them, i don't care if there is a LEO around. i book it right by.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Juliet

ORIGINAL: Hayden06F4i

A wee car is a small car ..lol ... what is a Wii mote??

Jules
Wii mote....

think nintendo Wii and RE mote......now mix them together and you got a Wiimote. basically a remote control for a nintendo wii.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Juliet
also that aside why do people sit behind them doing 50mph on a 70mph motorway
Maybe for the gas efficiency?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjDGjQ14Sjo