Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Remington 870 express

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remington 870 express

Just picked me up a Remington 870 express today and will put a couple hundred shells through it this weekend. Read thousands of reviews on the Remington 870 and Moss-berg 500. Only plan on using it for skeet shooting and maybe squirrel, but i use mostly my .22 for the later.

My Remington came with a ribbed rail and night sites, which i love compared to iron sites.

Overall appearance is great, got the laminated wood finish since it was the only one available in a 26" barrel. Have a set of the Walnut grade AAA stock for it i may end up putting on. The action seems to be tighter than the Moss-berg 500 I've shot in the past although it was a heavily used Mossy.

Went to all the pawn shops around trying to find a used one with a beat up stock for cheap, but all i found was a beat up one for $199 and the on i got new was only $259.

Was contemplating the H&R from academy for $199 which is supposed to be a Chinese clone of the 870 but figured i might as well come out the extra $60 for the ribbed and shorter barrel.

Not knocking any other brands for all the Benelli and Moss-berg lovers out their. Would have loved the supernova just didn't want to shell out the extra $100-200 on it. Moss-berg came in a close second but stuck with the 870 from knowledge of all my friends who have had no problems with thousands of shells being run through them. Even after dropping them in ponds while duck hunting or using the stock as a hammer for ice.

Hope i have years of enjoyment out of this new piece to my collection and my next buy will be a nice .308 for deer hunting next year. Theirs another gun expo coming to town in January and i hope to find a good deal then.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:47 PM

The 870 has been used by countless Police departments for a long time and was used by all the military police forces as well back in the day. For the money, Mossbergs are pretty decent also. I had an 870 Wingmaster years ago that was pretty sweet. I'd like to get another 870, but this time w/ the 18 inch barrel for home defense. They're kinda like the Timex of shotguns: takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. Sounds like you got a decent deal on yours, seems they were priced a little higher last time I checked. It's been a while though.
I found a place here in J-ville that sells surplus police shotguns with short barrel and extended magazines. Pretty decent price as long as you don't mind them looking a little rough.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:52 PM

I was looking to get a Rem 870 Express. I used to train with it at my job, (corrections officer). I wanted the short barrel, with a knoxx stock, but ended up with the Mossy 500. Got a great deal on it. I liked using the 870, had a nice feel to it and was a great shooter. I plan to get another shotgun soon and it will be the 870. I want to get another shotgun for my wife, so hopefully when I find a great deal on an 870, I am going to jump on it.

Oh and BTW.......

Old 12-06-2010, 09:05 PM

I too have a Mossy 500 and love it to death... I haven't shot a 870 yet, but have heard only good things about them... And I agree, we need some pic's.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:53 PM

Buncha babies always needing pics !! Anyhow here ya'll go may swap out for the walnut stock after this weekend depending on how i feel about this laminate wood stock. Will be ordering a better butt pad for sure.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

870s are great guns, I have two.

Name:  IMG_0212.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  23.2 KB

Name:  DSC_0002.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  5.5 KB

I also have a benelli supernova with a 28" barrel for birdies.

Both are great guns, the benelli just has a little more polish to it.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice, guys! The 870 is a staple shotgun and I've shot many of them (and owned one). I also currently own a Mossberg 500 which is a good little gun.
Neither of them are my favorite all purpose, though. My favorite pump gun would have to be the Ithaca 37. Nothing against the mossy or remington 870 at all, though, I just grew up with a 1948 Model 37 featherlight 20ga. (since i was 8)
Hell, I used to tie it to the handlebars on my XR80.
I couldn't even tell you how many thousands of rounds I've put through these guns, and it's just one of those guns that feels like an extension of my body when I carry it. I used to shoot club trap, reloaded, and practiced constantly.
I still have the old '48 in 20ga, but I also have a model 37 12ga and a model 87 DS Police Special 12ga. None of them have mag disconnects, either, so if you hold the trigger you can slam fire them. Kinda fun. (this is a factory thing, not modified)

The thing I like about the Ithacas is the bottom load/eject and the bottom release (kinda like the mossy). I'm just hella fast with them..

Here's the DS Police. It's also a featherlight, park finish, magnum, with 8-shot stock tube. It took me a long time to find this beatch.
LAPD style.
Name:  IMG_0304.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  60.2 KB

Old 12-06-2010, 11:32 PM

i love my 870, me an my cousin have done 500 rounds between the 2 of us in a day of skeets, an i use it for hunting going on 10 yrs now and not a single problem. Also used slugs with it, now thats fun

Old 12-07-2010, 12:57 PM

Think im going to order this stock here later this month:

Just looks bad *** to me.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

I have the same Remmy in all black I love it

I'm actually going to shoot skeet today around 1 Havent been in a while I'm excited

Quick Reply: Remington 870 express