Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

remember to watch you're back when stopped....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: remember to watch you're back when stopped....

wow, 2 fridays ago my coworker got plowed from behind and ended up under a car and his bike...he got burns, 7 busted ribs and ruptured spleen.

if you can, always split to get to the front, if not, stop your bike at an angle so your mirrors aren't so worthless in seeing what's behind you. this also lets you gun it and get out of the way if need be!

Old 09-20-2007, 04:07 PM

+1 on what everyone says...I always keep my bike in gear, never pull too close to the car in front, and watch my mirrors. I have been rearended on a bike before, but not by a car...but by another bike.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, as far as what Tahoe said, it seems on here ALOT of you guys are legally allowed to split traffic to the front. here in MD im almost 99% positive it is illegal, but i will have to seriously check on that. reading about it on here (people getting rearended) and hearing about it locally, it has me nervous! not to mention if it WAS legal here, i think probably half the ********* in cars would get pissed off and open their doors or something trying to knock the rider off.

im def. gonna ask about it though.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:09 PM

i think it's not legal to split in most states, but cali isn't one of them...it's needed here cause we have crazy ***** and bishes driving here...coffee, cell phone, make up, food, dogs, cats, all in the car and needing attention at the same time.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i hear ya! its like that here in MD too, i hope that i found out different...and it IS legal to do it here. i've heard too many stories of people on bikes getting rearended.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: sixhundredrr

My brake light flashes on both sides like hazards when I'm stopped with my foot on the brake.
i always thought of something like that but i never knew they made it.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:26 PM

Lane Splitting is Only Legal in Cali last I heard. Thanks for the advice everyone! .. I'd lane split to the front at intersections if Icould. I had a lady the other day cuss me out when I got close to her back bumper but was on the line giving myself an out if need be. I always pull close to the car infront of me but always on the middle or side line so I can just pull forward if someone is coming in too fast. I make sure I can see them in their side mirrors aswell.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:40 PM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

Don't get so close to the car in front that you can't get the hell out of there in an emergency!
I also tend to get WAAAY over in the lane hoping that if a person does violate my space, he may be able to slide by without contact.
I do that too. Part of my thinking is that if I do get hit (again) that at least I won't slam into the car in front of me.

Do you guys ever hit the brake a few times when you're at a light and a car is coming in behind you? I do this all the time since nearly everybody is out to lunch on their cellphones nowadays.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:52 PM

I HATE being the first one up to a intersection/light..

After seeing this guys setup.Makes for a nice idea https://cbrforum.com/m_389967/tm.htm

Old 09-20-2007, 11:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Wildcat

Do you guys ever hit the brake a few times when you're at a light and a car is coming in behind you? I do this all the time since nearly everybody is out to lunch on their cellphones nowadays.
Yup, all the time. I'm always flashing my brake lights when I see a vehicle approaching me at the intersection and am ready to go if they don't stop. I want to invest in the BackOff Modification for tail lights.