Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

remember to watch you're back when stopped....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default remember to watch you're back when stopped....

heard on the news yesterday, that on sunday....and local rider on a '05 gsx-r was slowing to a stop sign when a man in a car behind him didnt see him slowing and PLOWED right into him. he shoved the rider and his motorcycle down the road for just a bit. the driver of the car was drunk and came out unharmed. now, the sportbike rider ended up being flown out to shock trauma. i dont know either of the parties involved but just wanted to post this to remind everyone to watch their backs/mirrors. i dont do it as often as i should when im by myself, but i always make a point to flash my brake lights as im coming to a stop when i have my g/f on my bike.

watch you're back! ride safe everybody.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: remember to watch you're back when stopped....

Thanks for posting that J, as horrible as the accident is. For those of you who put her in neutral when you stop, this is a reason to stay in first. Keep an eye onyour mirrors (I am already paranoid from a prior car accident), and leave yourself an out. Don't get so close to the car in front that you can't get the hell out of there in an emergency!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:20 AM

My brake light flashes on both sides like hazards when I'm stopped with my foot on the brake. I always leave a 1-2 car gap between me and the vehicle in front and position myself so I can see the car behind me and the car behind that car. Sucks that these things happen, but you have to be prepared for these sorts of eventualities.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Banned

Don't get so close to the car in front that you can't get the hell out of there in an emergency!
I also tend to get WAAAY over in the lane hoping that if a person does violate my space, he may be able to slide by without contact.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: remember to watch yohttp://www.cbrforum.com/forumid_3/p_/tmode_1/smodeu're back when stopped....

i dont keep it in gear as often as i should, but i try to until i have at least 2 cars behind me stopped.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the reminder jaynd

Installed one of these when I did my rebuild. I would recommend it to anyone. Ounce of prevention and all that.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:38 AM

I pull up to stops at the outside of the lane too, never directly behind another vehicle if I can avoid it. The only thing worse than getting bumped into the intersection, is getting sandwiched between two vehicles.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:06 PM

Yeah i am alway more worried about geting hit from the side or having someone pull out in front of me. I sometime get to relaxed at stop lights and don't always keep it in gear. I always try to flash my brake light when coming to a stop. I also try to keep my foot on the rear brake as well.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i know personally ive almost been hit 3 times because of a old person, soccer mom and some guy in a pavement pounder (big lifted truck that has never seen off road) .. but was luckily able to get out of the way but now (because im in ca) i just lane split to the front of traffic to avoid this problem

Old 09-20-2007, 03:31 PM

Pretty weird that this same thing happened yesterday. I pulled up to a stop light and there was a guy behind me that was not paying attention to the road and swerving. But anyways, I pull up to this light and as soon as i stop I look in my mirror to check to see what this dude is doing and all i hear is SCURRRRRR and then i see this huge tahoe coming right at me. Luckily i was first one in line at the light and i was able to make a quick right turn right before he came with tires screeching through the intersection. I would have been trashed along with my bike if i had'nt have seen him. So heads up guys somebody was def. watching over me yesterday.

Quick Reply: remember to watch you're back when stopped....