Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Rear brake, use it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007 | 08:09 AM
Default RE: Rear brake, use it or not?

I use common sense the most. There is a time to use them and a time not to use them. I have had at least a couple of times that I've used them stopping at lights and feel the rear tire brake loose and slide then hit the front some and it corrects. Unless you are stopped on an incline, or slow moving in traffic or parking lot I think they are "best" used in conjunction with each other. Especially having to stop quick. Common sense should tell you if you're going through gravel not use either brake that much. Gravel can cause you to drop it not using any brakes at all! Just my 2 cents worth, take that and a buck 50 and you can get yourself a cup of coffee.

Old 10-06-2007 | 08:36 AM

i only use it when in dirt or gravel
when braking hard with the front there isnt enough weight on the rear tire to provide any significant braking power
it can help stabilize the bike a bit but 99% of the time i'm braking hard i'm setting up for a corner and I can't reach the rear brake pedal when I'm leaning off the bike

Old 10-06-2007 | 10:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

ORIGINAL: meanstrk

The rear brakes are the fastest route to a lowside that exists.
????

I lowsided at 70 mph thanks to the front brakes locking up from gravel.

How would you lowside by using the rear brake? I mean, if some douchebag is using the rear brakes while leaning in a corner, then yeah, he'll probably crash.......but this douchebag also should have never thrown his leg over the bike in the first place.

So, since you made the inarguable declaration that you should trash the rear brakes..........how, sir, do you lowside a bike when riding like a sane, MSF educated rider, when using the rear brakes properly?
I said the fastest route", not the "only" route. You can lose the bike in gravel no matter if you are on the brakes or not, so that's not really a valid arguement, now is it? I use to teach the MSF course and carry an ERC card in my wallet. I am also a Keith Code School graduate and track day veteran. The reason I stopped teaching MSF was because most accidents don't happen in parking lots or 25 MPH, but rather, out on the road at elevated speeds, and I wanted to teach advanced rider skills. In those courses, we show how easy it is to lose the rear end when on the brakes hard and we train to use the front to it's potential. If you are hard on the brakes in an emergency stop, there is very little weight on the rear of the bike and in those instances, it's useless. There is nothing wrong with using the rear brake when riding in a casual manner, but if that's ALL you use, or is what you rely on most of all, then it's a bad habit to get in to. The most effective braking tool you have on a sport bike is the front brakes, not the rear. If you want proof, do some tests to see which stops you fastest and in the most controlled manner.

Those that consider me a douche bag for saying this, well, maybe you should try some advanced courses some time.

Old 10-06-2007 | 10:07 AM

50/50 front and rear

Old 10-06-2007 | 10:11 AM

Holy crap, I didnt realize people didnt know how to properly use their brakes. Use the back brake!

Old 10-06-2007 | 11:03 AM

mostly use the front...back brake dont do jack when im comin in for a stop. im better of just down shifting and using the engine brake the the rear brake. but, when im in a corner i will use it slightly...just tap it a bit hear and there, not much. emergency braking, i use both...who doesnt honestly? when im doing wheelies, i try to use the back brake a lil here and their just to keep it up a lil longer (still need practice)

Old 10-06-2007 | 12:08 PM

umm... i use when stopped on an incline, if im squiding out doing whoolies, and... i guess thats it.. my right leg usually rests on the rearset and muffler not even close to the rear brake.. i feather in some front brake in a turn if i need to scrub a little speed. Never rear... thats crazy. Rear brake is engine brake for me. Do some real emergency stopping and let me know how that back tire likes you when your asking for more then it can give. There are times when a little rear brake can settle the bike down a bit, but other then that im with whoever said you could just about take it off and i would be ok without it.

Old 10-06-2007 | 12:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

The rear brakes are the fastest route to a lowside that exists.
????

I lowsided at 70 mph thanks to the front brakes locking up from gravel.

How would you lowside by using the rear brake? I mean, if some douchebag is using the rear brakes while leaning in a corner, then yeah, he'll probably crash.......but this douchebag also should have never thrown his leg over the bike in the first place.

So, since you made the inarguable declaration that you should trash the rear brakes..........how, sir, do you lowside a bike when riding like a sane, MSF educated rider, when using the rear brakes properly?
I said the fastest route", not the "only" route. You can lose the bike in gravel no matter if you are on the brakes or not, so that's not really a valid arguement, now is it? I use to teach the MSF course and carry an ERC card in my wallet. I am also a Keith Code School graduate and track day veteran. The reason I stopped teaching MSF was because most accidents don't happen in parking lots or 25 MPH, but rather, out on the road at elevated speeds, and I wanted to teach advanced rider skills. In those courses, we show how easy it is to lose the rear end when on the brakes hard and we train to use the front to it's potential. If you are hard on the brakes in an emergency stop, there is very little weight on the rear of the bike and in those instances, it's useless. There is nothing wrong with using the rear brake when riding in a casual manner, but if that's ALL you use, or is what you rely on most of all, then it's a bad habit to get in to. The most effective braking tool you have on a sport bike is the front brakes, not the rear. If you want proof, do some tests to see which stops you fastest and in the most controlled manner.

Those that consider me a douche bag for saying this, well, maybe you should try some advanced courses some time.
+1

Old 10-06-2007 | 08:42 PM

we got freakin brakes???? holy sh*tthought we just had throttle j/k of course i use both way its supposed to be ridden and id rather stop than plow into something

Old 10-06-2007 | 08:48 PM
|

I think the rear brakes is use by the majority. And I can not believe a MSF instructor says not to use it. WTF??

Quick Reply: Rear brake, use it or not?