Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Rear brake, use it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rear brake, use it or not?

I use the rear brake all the time. It makes for a much quicker, controlled stop. Using only the front brake makes the bike dive in the front more than it would if you were applying both brakes evenly. Hell, I even use the rear brake only sometimes in slow stop-and-go traffic.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont use the rear brake when doing stop and go though. I like having both my feet prepaired to hit the ground incase something happens.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:51 PM

I think that the saying "Use it or Lose it" is pretty apt for braking on bikes, on my old Guzzi , it had a linked front & rear system, with the other front disc for emergency stoppies, (but old habits, so I kept using it anyway).
When I 1st started riding, I pounded the rear all the time, till literally came to grips with front brake use. Under braking (especially in emergencies), the rear tyre has a greater surface patch, counteracts the dive at front as the suspension compresses & can also allow you to point the bike & steer while slowing down

Old 10-04-2007, 08:24 PM

I mostly use it when I am starting on a hill.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:00 PM

I always use mine....hell sometimes I dont even use the front the brakes.....my buddy he only uses the front...b/c his back brake is jamed underneathe his bike, along with his foot peg...lol he has to use the passenger peg, looks like an idiot....

Old 10-04-2007, 09:06 PM

Use it all the time.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Far as I am concerned you can pull the rear brakes off and throw them away. The rear brakes are the fastest route to a lowside that exists. People that are use to using them regularly have a built in muscle memory and when the **** hits the fan, they hit the brakes, and the rear comes out from under them. The front has 95% of your emergency stopping power, so learn to use them efficiently.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Banned

I use it usually if I'm coming to a light and my throttle hand is tight. It is a concious decision to use it rather than the front brake which is second nature.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:20 AM

in town in traffic I use the rear alot, in gravel n grass I use only the rear. And when its really needed in emerency stops I use it. Makes sense to use it then too as you will stop sooner than just with the front. and Just the rear alone wont have a chane in hadas of stopping you.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:34 AM

Use every time I brake to a stop, sit at a stoplight, or have to "slow-ride" in traffic. If you weren't supposed to use it why would it be on there? Anything that helps me contiue to ride, as opposed to packing into a tree/wall/car/deer (don't wan't to do that again, deer will **** you up!) is all right by me.

Quick Reply: Rear brake, use it or not?