Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

(Rant) Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default (Rant) Disappointed

Guy at work finally got a bike and his license last month. Originally he was going to get his license last year. We took the BRC together except his car broke down on the last day and he missed the class. But now he got the license. And he's riding straight to Squidville.

I knew he was low on cash after buying the bike. So I gave him my spare helmet (because it was actually too small for me). He wears it maybe half the time. I sold him my old Icon Motorhead leather jacket for $50 (barely worn). He wear it maybe 25% of the time. But worse still is his riding.

He got a 03 ZX-6R. Never ridden a motorcycle before the BRC and with only a month under his belt. He swears he knows how to ride. But he won't lean at all. The 'Chicken strips' are aptly named cause he admits he's afraid to lean it down. Not afraid to street race though. Keeps asking me to meet him out on Fri & Sat nights to join in the races. Seriously? Me?!? He's put HID lights (purple) in already. But he hasn't put mirrors on the bike (not even blocked off and he has the mirrors at his house). And while he has insurance he hasn't bothered to register the bike (riding on the PO's plates). And my favorite: he's riding gearless girls pillion with barely a month of riding under his belt.

Today was the last straw when he challenged me to a race. Told him flat out it'd be a waste of a perfectly good Kawasaki. Cause I wouldn't race him in a straight line, I could beat him in the twists without breaking the speed limit and he'd kill himself trying to keep up with me. Also told him to stop calling me cause I don't wanna see the gear I gave him tested.

Hate writing off friends. But can't force him to ride with any sense.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a zz600 and it is no joke when it comes to speed but the handling is as good imo compared to my F3 and it is 90% rider 10% bike. I myself still do not take corners as low as I should but I am just cautious.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:10 PM

sounds like one of those fools that rides for all the wrong reasons, its a shame a damn shame.

i think whats worse is that unless hes stupid lucky, theres a lesson thats going to be learned, and it probably wont be very nice

Old 08-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You obviously care about the well-being of the guy. You are to be commended for that.

One thing that I've learned in my life is...that people are going to do what they want to do...regardless. Sure, sometimes you can help them see the light, sometimes you can't. Importantly, as a caring person, you've done your due-diligence in trying to help him to be safe, learn properly, & to wear gear. Its up to him now to decide if he'll be a responsible rider or not.

If you'd sat by & done nothing all this time, you wouldn't have been a good example. However, you've done your best. Now, its on him.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:59 PM

He said today cause he hasn't gone down he knows how to ride. People told him he'd go down in the first two weeks so since he's beaten that he's golden. Was too pisses about the challenge to tell him the longer he goes with the dumb way he rides the worse it'll be.

Im not the only rider at the office and he was braggin in front if the other cbr rider. Someone i admittedly used to look down on. But i looked at that guy's chicken strips. For someone that drags his feet for a block leaving the office and drives Ms. Daisy on slow Sundays, he's down to maybe 1/8th an inch and has never hit a track. Later we talked about the new guy. Consensus is about a year and then a major wreck

Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 PM

yea one of my buddys was new to riding was the same way he could ride damn good in a straight line real fast kept wanting me to race so knowing my bike was faster in a straight line anyways i went out with him finally and about 10 times he would get next to me on a straight and hammer it and i wouldnt even go just stayed the same speed limit and lead him to a 5 mile stretch of road thats all twisties i honked at him gave him a the lets go nod and off i went lost him after the first corner i went hard all the way to the end of the curves and pulled over had enough time to get off my bike take the helmet and jacket off and sit down when he finally reached me still 1.5 inches of chx strip left i simply told him your not ready to challenge anyone yet.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

I admit I'm sometimes bad at letting a hot girl on the back of my bike without the proper gear but if for whatever reason I can't get it for her I dont leave my subdivision and never make it over 25mph.

Regardless that sucks about your friend. Hope he doesnt find out what rash feels like, as most of us have.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:24 AM

The first time I ever got on the back of a bike, I was 16 years old with a tank top and a short denim skirt (I lived in Hawaii, it's hot there). Now that I actually own a bike, I realize how stupid that was. But hey, I was young and I did put a helmet on, regardless of the fact that Hawaii doesn't require a helmet.

I don't think I would have been naive enough to ride with someone like that, however. I always went with experienced/safe riders. I never rode with someone who didn't bring me a helmet. And I always had a good time .

Old 08-04-2010, 11:45 AM

The Don Wan: I doubt very seriously he's informing these ladies that he only has a month's experience under his belt. Of course the girl should be asking "where's my helmet?" and making sure she's somewhat ready to ride.

Rojer: I miss so many opportunities cause i flat out refuse to take a passenger. Not just because i've never had a passenger. But i don't like how the bike feels when someone rests their hand on my bike while im sitting on it without the kickstand. I can feel the change in balance and don't like it, worrying it would be worse under power and they lean wrong.

Today we warned him that if he gets caught riding an unregistered bike Philly would not only confiscate the bike (with intent to sell) but also suspend his license (motorcycle and car). His response: cop would have to catch me first.

You won't lean and corner, you have ZERO hope if evading a police cruiser.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:50 AM

His bike. Look while its still in one piece:

Quick Reply: (Rant) Disappointed