Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

RANT ON DEAL'S GAP HOTEL - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RANT ON DEAL'S GAP HOTEL - HELP!

OK guys and gals, here's the deal: March 1st I made reservations to stay at Punkin Center Motorcycle Resort (near Deal's Gap)for 2 nights at the end of July.I planned on heading down there with 4 or 5 buddies from the great state of Michigan so we reserved a cabin that sleeps 6. Figured that would be the best thing to do for the group seeing as though it was only $90/night - flat rate. Plus it has kitchen, shower, everything. I had to put a 50% deposit ($135) down to hold the cabin - no big deal.

Here's the where it gets $hitty:One of the guys I was going to go down there with got into a really bad accident a month ago on his bike. Some chick pulled out in front of him, went over the hood of her car. Broke both legs, right arm, right wrist, left thumb, pelvis and tail bone. Needless to say he won't be riding for a LOOOONG time, if ever. Now, the other people that were going were 1) His wife and 2) His buddies that were going to let us borrowtheir trailer. So that pretty much leaves NO ONE left to go down there - like we would go without him anyways.

I called thisplace to cancel our reservations (a 4 month notice I might add) and they won't give me my money back. Their reasons? Because people cancel at the last minute and they're screwed outta renting the cabin! I told them "Last minute? Are you kidding? It's 4 months away!"No soupfor me. Oh but they gave me a second reason: When the people came to set up the credit card machine, they didn't teach them how to refund a credit card! Again I said "Do you guys have a checking account? Write me a check." Nope they won't do that either. I contacted Better Business Bureau and NO-GO there either. They pretty much said "Their advertised policy is non-refundable deposit... blah blah blah."

Now if these people claim to be a biker friendly establishment then why won't they give me a refund? Come on, it's not like I found somewhere better to stay or something better to do. Damn I am so pissed off about this it's not even funny. Any suggestions guys? Can we put out an official boycott of this place or something?
Better yet, can someone go and burn theirplace down? [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 05-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Default RE: RANT ON DEAL'S GAP HOTEL - HELP!

You could dispute the charge on the credit card, but if they truly have a NO REFUNDS policy, you
may be out of luck. The excuses they gave are rediculous, and having your credit card company call them may make them think twice about it.

I took a look at the website, and it does say non-refundable, but its hard to beleive that stick with it 4 months out. If you 'own' the reservation, perhaps you could offer it to someone else on the forum that will use it - the website doesn't say non-transferable right? Otherwise, you know the hotel is going to charge someone else a full rate for the time you booked for.

Good luck,

Old 05-01-2007, 03:10 PM

Well i would just chalk it up to a life lesson...maybe you just werent supposed to go this year.If they say they have a non refundable deposit..that pretty much says it all..im riding down there memorial day weekend..im from Illinois..i do hope your friend heals well and gets back on a bike again..

Old 05-01-2007, 03:15 PM

Yea I've thought about trying to find someone else to take that reservation. But then again, that's just more work that I have to do [:'(]

And yes I knew about their refund policy before I made the reservations. But damn it's not like it wasa weekbefore the trip...
Oh well, when we do make that trip I certainly won't be spending my money there. Phuckers.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:30 PM

Dude, that sucks!

I hate stories like this. It just doesn't make good business sense to cheat the customer like this. Regardless of the non-refundable policy, they should think of the repercussion a decision like this makes. Here you are, telling all of us, about this story.[/align] [/align] I, for one, will remember not to book a room with these folks based on principal alone. That's just me. I always feel that rules can be pushed and pulled in the interest of good business practice.
[/align]

Old 05-01-2007, 03:52 PM

Either try and sell the reservation off. or.... why is it that YOU put down the deposit money? If it were me I would go back to the group and tell them the story, since they are all the ones that backed out of the deal(they had good reason) but they still backed out. since you went out on the limb and put up the money, I think it is fair that you divide up the $135 among you. What is that 22.50 each person for bailing out? If I backed out, and now the trip was cancelled, I think it is an honest thing to help cover the lost deposit. Otherwise, I would be finding new friends

Old 05-01-2007, 04:17 PM

Getting the money from the others normally wouldn't be a problem. But seeing as though my buddy is on disability (and he will be fora long time) I cannot ask him and his wife for their portion. At least not yet - that would be heartless. And if/when the time comes, I will have him ask his other buddies to pitch in to helpminimze my loss.
But I guess that's not the whole point here. The point is (I believe) that thisIS bad business practice and a total lack of class by an organization that claims to be "biker friendly". What a crock.
Like manny said, I am going to make it well known in this site (and others) that the people at PCMR are not as "friendly" as they claim to be. Word of mouth is very strong in the motorcycle community - I hopethis gets around.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:55 PM

While I dont think its exactly great that they wont let you out with your deposit.
Let me be devil's advocate here-

They are not in the wrong. The state right up front non-refundable deposit.

I mean, thats what a deposit is. I WILL take this. turn all others away, it is mine. Flip that around, you paid your deposit, you get down there, and they gave
your room away. You would be then be extremely pissed. So,you can break your end of the deal, but they cant? Yeah, the credit card machine thing is a poor excuse.

Not trying to argue with you,if I were in your shoes I would be mad as well. but,I am not sure they have wronged you either.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: krash
Flip that around, you paid your deposit, you get down there, and they gave
your room away. You would be then be extremely pissed. So,you can break your end of the deal, but they cant?
The bottom line is this: I/we are NOT going. So they can give the room away for all I care - there will be no getting pissed if it's not available to us cuz we won't be anywhere near Marysville, TN on July 28, 29 or 30!!!
OH, and here's another thing I forgot to mention: Even if they rent it out to someone else that weekend (seeing as though I cancelled and won't be there, I don't know how many times I'll have to say that), I still don't get my $$$ back. How does that work?
Yes I sound like a big whiner... maybe I am. But I guess until you give your hard earned money away and get absolutely nothing in return it might behard to understand. I shoulda just taken that cash to Deja Vu and got a couple lap dances. At least then Ipurchased apair of blue *****!!!!!

And I know you're not trying to argue... I'm just really bent outta shape about this $hit (obviously). No hard feelings...

Old 05-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Retired Moderator

I would call back and confirm your reservation. If they are going to keep your money, they may as well NOT make double on the room for that weekend!

Quick Reply: RANT ON DEAL'S GAP HOTEL - HELP!