Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Random acts of Kindness.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random acts of Kindness.....

I dont know if any of you know, but i have been out of work since early august. im collecting unemployment(peanuts) and staying at home watchin the boy, and my wife is working as a waitress at Buffalo Wild Wings. putting both of those income along with some very invasive cutbacks...we were barely making it.

In order for me to tell you what happened to me today, i have to tell you what happened a few months ago.

I was out running some errands of little importance, just stuff i finnally got around to doing. I had to stop and get gas so i stop at the QT down the street and proceed to fill 'er up. As i was doing so, i noticed a guy next to me on the phone obviously irritated at whoever he was talking to. As he finished his conversation and hung up, he looked to me and asked "Do you know any marines around here." I said that i didnt know anybody personally and asked if there was anything i could do for him.

He said that he was on his way to san diego to pick up his brother who was returning to base from his 4th deployment overseas that night. He had to stop at the airport (for a reason he never explained) and while there his jeep was broken into and they cleaned him out. He showed me the damage and told me they had taken his wallet (he had the two piece kind that has an id wallet which he had in his pocket, all his credit and bank cards were in the big piece in the console), laptop, GPS unit and a digital camera a friend had loaned him.

I walked around to his pump and ran my card through and told him to fill his tank. (hoping to god it wouldnt overdraw me, but i was willing anyway) He told me that he makes a good living and doesnt like handouts, and asked for my name and address so he could return it when he got his affairs in order. I told him that even the best of people need help sometimes and it was the least i could do, and to tell his brother i said thank you. I left hoping he made it in time to meet his brother when he arrived, but never thought about it again.

Well yesterday i finally picked up a call to go to work. I started my company orientation today and with talking to the safety coordinator said it was kind of a pain to find. i figured i had the time today and saved me the hassle of getting lost in the morning. i headed that direction following the crudely assembled map he drew me.

after finding my destination i stopped in a random parking lot in front of a music store that had been closed for some time now. Took off my gear and grabbed a water bottle out of my backpack sat on the curb and had me a few cigarettes.

Few minutes later a camaro pulls into the stall next to me. not sure what year but i could tell it had some major motorwork done and i heard the 'charger blow off when he stopped. He gets out and looks at the music store window realizing it wasnt open anymore.

Seconds later he turns and sees me sitting by the bike. so we struck up a conversation of sorts talking about my bike, all the bikes he has owned, all hondas. he asked me if i was from around this part of town. I told him no just trying to find my jobsite. he asked me where i lived and when i told him he remarked about the commute i was about to have. i told him it was worth every mile because i had been off work for several months.

we talked for a few more minutes about the bike and his car. he told me that he had to get going, and introduced himself as Bob. I told him my name was brandon and reached out to give him a handshake. He had two 20 bills rolled up in his hand and told me to have a happy new year. partially stunned i told him i coulnt accept this. He would have no part in me returning the gift. told me its nice to see somebody restoring the bikes he loves and that he was doing very well for himself. Got into his car and left a parallel set of black lines in the parking lot 30 feet long in a cloud of smoke.

its nice to see some people still have a heart and care about others.

So to Mr. Bob from Scottsdale, AZ. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

sorry to ramble on but i had to get that off my chest.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:35 PM
November 2009 ROTM

Good stuff man!To quote a Phrase"What goes around,comes around....."

Old 12-30-2009, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by makin sparks
I dont know if any of you know, but i have been out of work since early august. im collecting unemployment(peanuts) and staying at home watchin the boy, and my wife is working as a waitress at Buffalo Wild Wings. putting both of those income along with some very invasive cutbacks...we were barely making it.

In order for me to tell you what happened to me today, i have to tell you what happened a few months ago.

I was out running some errands of little importance, just stuff i finnally got around to doing. I had to stop and get gas so i stop at the QT down the street and proceed to fill 'er up. As i was doing so, i noticed a guy next to me on the phone obviously irritated at whoever he was talking to. As he finished his conversation and hung up, he looked to me and asked "Do you know any marines around here." I said that i didnt know anybody personally and asked if there was anything i could do for him.

He said that he was on his way to san diego to pick up his brother who was returning to base from his 4th deployment overseas that night. He had to stop at the airport (for a reason he never explained) and while there his jeep was broken into and they cleaned him out. He showed me the damage and told me they had taken his wallet (he had the two piece kind that has an id wallet which he had in his pocket, all his credit and bank cards were in the big piece in the console), laptop, GPS unit and a digital camera a friend had loaned him.

I walked around to his pump and ran my card through and told him to fill his tank. (hoping to god it wouldnt overdraw me, but i was willing anyway) He told me that he makes a good living and doesnt like handouts, and asked for my name and address so he could return it when he got his affairs in order. I told him that even the best of people need help sometimes and it was the least i could do, and to tell his brother i said thank you. I left hoping he made it in time to meet his brother when he arrived, but never thought about it again.

Well yesterday i finally picked up a call to go to work. I started my company orientation today and with talking to the safety coordinator said it was kind of a pain to find. i figured i had the time today and saved me the hassle of getting lost in the morning. i headed that direction following the crudely assembled map he drew me.

after finding my destination i stopped in a random parking lot in front of a music store that had been closed for some time now. Took off my gear and grabbed a water bottle out of my backpack sat on the curb and had me a few cigarettes.

Few minutes later a camaro pulls into the stall next to me. not sure what year but i could tell it had some major motorwork done and i heard the 'charger blow off when he stopped. He gets out and looks at the music store window realizing it wasnt open anymore.

Seconds later he turns and sees me sitting by the bike. so we struck up a conversation of sorts talking about my bike, all the bikes he has owned, all hondas. he asked me if i was from around this part of town. I told him no just trying to find my jobsite. he asked me where i lived and when i told him he remarked about the commute i was about to have. i told him it was worth every mile because i had been off work for several months.

we talked for a few more minutes about the bike and his car. he told me that he had to get going, and introduced himself as Bob. I told him my name was brandon and reached out to give him a handshake. He had two 20 bills rolled up in his hand and told me to have a happy new year. partially stunned i told him i coulnt accept this. He would have no part in me returning the gift. told me its nice to see somebody restoring the bikes he loves and that he was doing very well for himself. Got into his car and left a parallel set of black lines in the parking lot 30 feet long in a cloud of smoke.

its nice to see some people still have a heart and care about others.

So to Mr. Bob from Scottsdale, AZ. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

sorry to ramble on but i had to get that off my chest.
Cool. What goes around comes around.

See, it's not all that hard when you get down to it.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a great story of what happened to you, it should always be this way. It just goes to show you "what goes around comes around". Did you ever find your work site?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

yes i did. start tommorrow at the Optima Condo complex in scottsdale.

I kinda got pissed off a few years ago about something similar.on my way home from work after i got off the freeway by my house i gave a bum on the exit ramp a few dollars i had in the car. after i stopped at the house and had to go to the store. the store i went to was ajacent to the exit i use when going home from work. i saw the same guy i just gave the money to walking in the parking lot and open the trunk of a brand new BMW. He changed his clothes and drove away. just irks me to think how low some poeple are.

since then i have never given money to poeple. i have stopped and gotten food or water and handed it out. but i decided im not financing a BMW i dont get to drive or somebody elses next trip to the liquer store. if your that hard off then food and water should be quite adequate.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:19 AM

karma has a beautiful sister...most dont see her ....as most olny see the wrath of it... good job, to reach out to some guy in need, good deeds return in ten fold...God bless bro.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:41 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear you had a bit of return goodness there, brother.
The New Year is sure to be kind to you...........
What ye sow, so shall ye reap.............
I hope that bum in the Beemer had his engine go- what a pr1ck

Old 12-31-2009, 07:49 AM

Glad to hear it man..

Old 12-31-2009, 08:16 AM

That is awesome. All too often we never hear about these things. Glad things are working out for you btw.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see you're practicing the good karma and it's coming back to you bud. These are the kinds of small gestures that keep me hopeful about the human race.

Quick Reply: Random acts of Kindness.....