CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   rain riders (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/rain-riders-8831/)

Ultimate_17 02-08-2006 03:10 AM

rain riders

is there anyone here who has rode in the rain? any bad situations or uncomfortable spots you would like to warn other riders about?

HighRevver 02-08-2006 04:33 AM

RE: rain riders

<--- Oregon = plenty of rain.....
Just common stuff, give your self more room to break
Don't go as hard on the throttle
If it's near the first few days of rain in a while watch for oil (new rains brings it out and onto the road surface)
be on your throttle and ready at stops incase that idiot in the car behind you might not be paying attention and go to stop quickly and slide into you

If you have any specific questions or concerns just ask.[8D]

doncollins 02-08-2006 08:56 AM

I ride in the rain all the time. Cars can't see you at all so it's a big risk. Treat every car like it’s a bullet out to get you. Give yourself distance or don't ride behind cars if you can help it. The rain cloud behind them will blind you. And whatever the temp is... your face shield will fog up bad so you have to crack it a little and this soaks your face and eyes.

Common sense stuff... you have less traction so deal with that. It is still possible for you to hydroplane. Most riders believe since our tires are round, they cut through the water and will not hydroplane. It can happen so watch out for standing water.

richterat83 02-08-2006 09:25 AM

One big thing ya'll hadn't mentioned yet is, the road paint. The stripes down the middle of the road, or, the crosswalk pain when stopped at a redlight. When those are wet, they are slicker than ice!! Other than that, it's pretty well covered. I ride in the rain, being in FL and, i've got my rain gear, so, i stay dry, i put the rain-X fog stuff on the inside of my visor, and, rain-x on the outside. Works like a charm for me.

Tylor

josho66 02-08-2006 10:37 AM

I don't like to ride in the rain. Like Don said cars can't see you too good and I just don't like how the bike handles so I try to stay away from it.

ChrisMcD 02-08-2006 11:01 AM

Just out of curiosity is this a question of need or desire? Do you want to ride in the rain? Or do you need to ride in the rain. Obviously by choice if its raining I am not going for a 4 hour cruise, a 4 for hour cruise....lol don't want to end up stranded on a deserted island somewhere. Just not a time of fun for me. I ride to enjoy the ride, I would choose 40 degree weather over a rain storm. However if it is required to ride in the rain just respect the rain and the idiot drivers out there! And don't be all about dragging the knees. RAIN SUCKS!!!!

richterat83 02-08-2006 12:02 PM

Just sit right back for a tale or two....

Call me wierd, but, i actually enjoy riding in the rain. You've got to ride smart, obviously, but, i enjoy the ride. It's nice and cool, and, with my gear, i stay dry. Sucks when you get to where you are going though, but, i've got for an hour cruise through a storm. The most memorable was an evening run through a thunderstorm. The lightning, rain, and, thunder, all, well, kinda intensified the ride. I really liked it.

But, on a side note, I only enjoy riding in the rain for pleasure. If I HAVE to go somewhere and it's raining, i jump in my Jeep.

Tylor

ChrisMcD 02-08-2006 12:05 PM

Well Tylor we all know you have a weird connection to your bike! Look at that sig....I mean damn!! j/k[8D]

richterat83 02-08-2006 12:11 PM

What can I say? Other than, that isn't me in the bed. But, i loved the pic so, it became my sig. Just curious, how many thought that was me in the bed?

Tylor

ChrisMcD 02-08-2006 12:19 PM

Well that may be even stranger then? LOL You got pics of other guy's in bed? Did you like that rainbow logo I made? LOL j/k[8D]

drag the knee 02-08-2006 12:40 PM

i dont like riding in the rain... my shield fogs up and i cant see anything, and the pegs get all slippy. its just not my thing and i try to avoid it. thankfully i live in california.:D

richterat83 02-08-2006 12:44 PM

It's actually a guy from another board that i snatched his pic for my sig. None of ya'll know him, and, he doesn't use this forum, so, i figured I was safe.[:@]

Tylor

Ultimate_17 02-08-2006 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: cbrjeeper

What can I say? Other than, that isn't me in the bed. But, i loved the pic so, it became my sig. Just curious, how many thought that was me in the bed?

Tylor

*raises hand*

and this question was to learn what to look for...and have you guys talk more...maybe its me but some of the questions on here are kind of reptitive...I was also under the impression rain made riders run for cover and hide

richterat83 02-08-2006 01:01 PM

sorry, back to your question. Yes, rain makes most riders run for cover. But, not me. I enjoy it. As to what to watch for, anything else on the road. Cars don't see you. Oils on the road after a fresh rain, the stripes on the road also, very slick. Try to keep the lean angles much less cause less traction on wet roads are not favorable.

Tylor

ChrisMcD 02-08-2006 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Ultimate_17

Tylor

*raises hand*

and this question was to learn what to look for...and have you guys talk more...maybe its me but some of the questions on here are kind of reptitive...I was also under the impression rain made riders run for cover and hide
Basically it is not an ideal riding situation, there are some that break the mold but the suggestion is to avoid it.[8D]

doncollins 02-08-2006 01:30 PM

Musichyp... it's a three hour tour, a three hour tour. Get it right! You don't want mr. angry coming over there setting you straight.

Very good point about the paint/markings on the road. I don't plan trips in the rain... but I still ride to work if it's not pouring and I don't care about the ride home. It just sucks sitting at work damp all day.

And wtf... I'd love to have some 40 degree temps right now.

jim 02-08-2006 01:48 PM

Ride Fast

Dear Mr Ultimate

When riding in the rain in the day I find that overtaking everything leaves me with a clear road ahead and therefore removes all potential hazards, however in heavy city traffic cut your speed by half or more and leave allot of space around yourself.
Don’t open the throttle to quickly and what ever you do don’t brake mid corner, brake while the bike is upright then release the brakes drop down a gear then lean into the corner.
I have found out when it rain's it’s a good time to practise power sliding but not wheelies and definitely not stoppies.
If you are going to take a pillion when its raining just remember that because you have more weight you will have more down force and therefore in theory more traction, I personally have not got the nerve to try this and my missus would beat me up if i crashed with her on the back.
In short take it easy dude.

Kind regards
Jim

L8X 02-08-2006 03:11 PM

RE: Ride Fast

i hate riding in the rain and avoid it like the plague. everyone gave you good advice. my advice is dont do unless you really really have to

menefreghista 02-08-2006 06:31 PM

having lived in the tropics for the better part of my life
i have ridden FAR more than my fair share through blinding, stinging torrential downpours on streets that were either washed away or flooded upto my knees ...

but no more now that i live in sunny so Cali ;-)

ChrisMcD 02-08-2006 07:06 PM

ORIGINAL: doncollins

Musichyp... it's a three hour tour, a three hour tour. Get it right! You don't want mr. angry coming over there setting you straight.

Please Please accept my apoligies.....Really no disrespect was intended....Honestly I swear it was an accident, it will not happen again!!!~

*Walking away humming-------- "A three hour tour........A three hour tour....."

chainstretcher 02-08-2006 07:14 PM

The rain isn't a big deal as long as you're prepared to be wet. Doesn't matter if you're bubble-boy the rain is gonna leak in somewhere. Like everybody has mentioned paint is slick when wet -- but paint is also slick when it's cold so my advice is to avoid paint.

A couple of other things to watch for when riding in the rain is that it tires you out ... fast. Something about the severe concentration and coldiness of the rain (ya, coldiness ain't a real word) that makes me tire quicker than cold weather or road racing. Also gotta take care of the equipment and oil the chain real nice after a spin in the wetness.

syko9 02-08-2006 08:41 PM

Yo rain hurts!! and is loud. I had the pleasure to be caught in the rain once with a tee shirt on and it hurt like hell. I don't ride in the rain but if I'm out I watch out for the paint lines and I take it slow. I am one of those people to stay in the house when it rains cause I'm an aggressive rider and I get frustrated when I can't throw the bike over and crack open the throttle. My advise is to not ride in the rain unless you have to. I think yall are crazy to want to ride in the rain. I hate it. rather ride in the cold.

Ultimate_17 02-09-2006 06:05 AM

i can only imagine how hard the rain drops hit the visor of a helmet. SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT hell in some rainy situations i thought they would break the windshield of my car

cbrf4i04 02-15-2006 02:12 AM

when i got my f4i last summer it was my only transportation for work so i had to ride rain or shine.... i hate the feeling of being wet, so all that behind me you just need 2 use more caution when riding in the rain, i feel like i have more control of my bike now that i have ridden in the rain so much...but i will say id take sunny wheather over rain any day

Anubis 02-16-2006 06:12 AM

Ultimate_17
I don`t mind riding in the rain at all, you can go nearly as fast as when its dry if you keep it smooth. Controlled use of the throttle and brakes are essential of course. And like has been mentioned the white lines and painted surfaces become very slippy.

But unless i`m out already i will avoid it if possible purely because theres no faster way to get your bike full of crap, but living in england I do ride rain often.

MetalScorpio 02-16-2006 01:26 PM

one word for you: SMOOTH.

that's all it takes to survive riding on the rain.

Anubis 02-16-2006 02:35 PM

Didn`t i just say that, lol ;)

L8X 02-16-2006 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: syko9

Yo rain hurts!! and is loud. I had the pleasure to be caught in the rain once with a tee shirt on and it hurt like hell. I don't ride in the rain but if I'm out I watch out for the paint lines and I take it slow. I am one of those people to stay in the house when it rains cause I'm an aggressive rider and I get frustrated when I can't throw the bike over and crack open the throttle. My advise is to not ride in the rain unless you have to. I think yall are crazy to want to ride in the rain. I hate it. rather ride in the cold.
What the blazes are you doing riding around in a t shirt??? be glad the rain is the only thing that hurt you. jebus, what is wrong with people? wearing no gear is not bad ass, its dumb ass

Ultimate_17 02-17-2006 12:45 AM

High speed and wet clothes make me one unhappy camper

MetalScorpio 02-17-2006 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Anubis

Oh sorry....Yeah...What he said :D

Anubis 02-18-2006 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: MetalScorpio

ORIGINAL: Anubis

Oh sorry....Yeah...What he said :D

:D:D:D:D

kiggy74 02-18-2006 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Ultimate_17

Tylor

*raises hand*

I run for cover. I don't like riding in the rain. I don't like getting wet. I don't like not being able to see. I don't like knowing that it's hard for others to see me. And most of all.... I don't like my bike getting dirty. I only ride in the rain if I got caught in it.

Ultimate_17 02-19-2006 03:08 AM

hey does anyone know what riding in snow is like? lol c'mon i know somebody tried it

Gunnar 02-19-2006 09:41 AM

I like riding in the rain. I just slow down and listen to the raindrops 'plonk plonk plonk' when they hit my visor.
With the right gear it's a pleasure, and I find it relaxing.
If I should mention the one thing that quickly tires me out, it's to not wear earplugs.
I can barely go a mile without earplugs.

Snow riding is fun with spiked tires, but it is of course a little on the cold side.
Never tried it with a sportbike, but on offroaders you get about the same traction as you would on normal tires and a wet road.

www.plasticmc.com had some fun on ice, and there's a video HERE.
Those aren't standard spikes, BTW...