Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

R.I.P: 60GB Launch PS3

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default R.I.P: 60GB Launch PS3

So I finally put together the new entertainment center in the new apartment Monday. To break it in I put all my electronics in it (cable box. logitech google tv, Sony AV Reciever & PS3). Cracked open a new copy of Infamous 2 and started playing. Everything was cool for about 30 minutes till I got a warning on the screen that the PS3 had reached a high temperature (first time ever seeing the message). I quickly shut down the PS3 and opened the cabinet. Seriously, the cabinet was hotter that my bike's gas tank in triple digit heat after sitting in the sun. Great idea Ikea, making an entertainment center with no ventilation

So I took the PS3 out, put it in top till I got a chance to add vent holes. PS3 booted fine but I gave it a break for the night. Yesterday, Infamous 2 for 4 hours no problem. Today, Infamous 2 for 2 hours no problem, walk Kai and Kia for an hour, Infamous 2 for 10 minutes...

Yellow Light of Death

My PS3 has been a great piece of machinery thru the years. Blurays, DVDs, music... It subbed as my gateway to the internet when my laptop went boom. So the least I can do is try one of the YLoD fixes (replacing the heat sink paste and reflowing the motherboard) before I give up on it.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heat sink and reflow it and it will work perfectly fine again. Did this with my old PS3. (got a new one because my brother was getting his own place and wanted a PS3 so i gave him the old one and i bought a new one.) and to this day still works perfectly fine!

Old 08-24-2011, 09:06 PM

so sad, I still have my launch 30 gig. other then I'm about to fig out how to swap to a bigger hdd and not lose everything its been really good to me.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:19 AM

feel your pain, i got the yellow light of death twice on my 80gig.. fixed it the first time but after the second i said fck it

Old 08-25-2011, 11:53 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Wow that sucks. Hopefully you get it back up and working. Losing my PS3 would be like losing a family member. Yes I love it that much. Ask the g/f hehe. My 80GB has been running strong since the day I bought it and hopefully it will continue to do so for many years to come (knock on wood)

Old 08-25-2011, 01:05 PM

Right now its just a brick. If I can fix it for $50 (cost of a heat gun and heat sink thermal compound) that's better than $150 to Sony for a refurb with less capabilities (60 gig has the ps2 chip & extra slots). Or $250 for a new one.

Its worth it

Old 08-25-2011, 02:58 PM

Mine started shutting off completely 2 nights ago, it refused to stay on for more than 5 minutes at a time. I played it last night for 2 hours though with no issues so I'm hoping it was something minor.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:38 PM

SHE LIVES!!!

There are a chitload of screws inside the PS3. But a little heat gun and some artic silver and the PS3 breathes again. Quieter and cooler than before too!

There's a great v6 part How To video on Youtube on this. And the inside of the case was disgusting!

Old 08-26-2011, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
SHE LIVES!!!

There are a chitload of screws inside the PS3. But a little heat gun and some artic silver and the PS3 breathes again. Quieter and cooler than before too!

There's a great v6 part How To video on Youtube on this. And the inside of the case was disgusting!
The new XBox Slim has safety measures to keep it from doing what XBox's tend to do. Maybe you should upgrade that PS3 and get a reliable XBox slim.

Edit: Not trying to start a "whats better, ps3 or xbox" discussion. We've already seen enough of that with the iPhone and Droid. I like Playstation.....when it was PS2. PS2 was the greatest console. And about the phone discussion, I really hate apple, i would rather have microsoft everything. I like the phone though, its simple, and it has a lot of features....

Last edited by txsmainevent; 08-26-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by txsmainevent
The new XBox Slim has safety measures to keep it from doing what XBox's tend to do. Maybe you should upgrade that PS3 and get a reliable XBox slim.

Edit: Not trying to start a "whats better, ps3 or xbox" discussion. We've already seen enough of that with the iPhone and Droid. I like Playstation.....when it was PS2. PS2 was the greatest console. And about the phone discussion, I really hate apple, i would rather have microsoft everything. I like the phone though, its simple, and it has a lot of features....
Well that's part of the reason it was worth the effort: 60 gig PS3s have the PS2 chip inside. Full backwards compatibility.

XBox Live murders PSN and many games that launch on both consoles perform better on the 360 (because lazy programmers port the 360 code to the PS3). But all Playstation exclusive games (PS2s & PS3s) that used the power of the systems are undeniably incredibly. Yuen seriously watched me play God of War III and Uncharted 2 from start to finish

Quick Reply: R.I.P: 60GB Launch PS3