Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Quick car question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick car question

I have an 07 scion tc with 45,000 miles on it..Just recently it started grinding when I down shift into third. Only third gear though. When I am just going through the gears I do not have the grinding, only when I down shift? Could this be the clutch going bad? hopefully not the tranny?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:19 PM

3rd gear syncro...

My Celica just started doing it for 4th @ 125k.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:56 PM

Alright thanks man!!! Is this expensive to fix?

Old 03-04-2009, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by cbrsix
Alright thanks man!!! Is this expensive to fix?
Buy replacement tranny and install.

You might be able to ward it off for a while with some high quality transmission lube.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:18 AM

Synchros. Isn't this under warranty, or does Toyota quit at 36k?

For a synchro to fail that early means either a serious manufacturing defect or you were really, really bad at downshifting.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:12 AM

It should still be under warranty

For a synchro to fail that early means either a serious manufacturing defect or you were really, really bad at downshifting.
This cant be from me down shifting. Atleast I would hope so. I have been driving sticks for years... and I rarely take it up to high rpms.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cerberus XJR
Synchros. Isn't this under warranty, or does Toyota quit at 36k?

Hey Cerberus - Noticed you have an 01 XJR. We have one as well. How many miles do you have? have you had any problems? Jaguars are definitely my favorite Luxury maker.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:22 AM

CBR6,
It's not a matter of engine RPM, it's a matter of shifting technique. Hope it's covered under warranty and you get it resolved!

Seaford,
134. Runs like a dream. You on jaguarforums.com? No major problems, just basic stuff like a failing MAF that was giving the stupid Restricted Performance problem. Also, annoying whistle from the windshield seal. AEM DryFlow intake cone filter, and rear mufflers removed. Huge improvement in exhaust note.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:24 AM

Alright well thanks for your help guys.. Ill let ya'll know what they say.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cerberus XJR
CBR6,
It's not a matter of engine RPM, it's a matter of shifting technique. Hope it's covered under warranty and you get it resolved!

Seaford,
134. Runs like a dream. You on jaguarforums.com? No major problems, just basic stuff like a failing MAF that was giving the stupid Restricted Performance problem. Also, annoying whistle from the windshield seal. AEM DryFlow intake cone filter, and rear mufflers removed. Huge improvement in exhaust note.
No - I am on Jag-Lovers.org. I will have to check out jaguarforums.com.

We have been plagued with the Restriced Performace thing as well - especially during the summer months. Haven't ever taken it in - just carry an OBDII reader with us and reset the codes, but I need to get it fixed, just not sure what it is??

Also we had a hardline go bad on the Steering rack (really odd failure) but I dropped the rack and was able to get the replacement part incredibly cheap from the dealership, so problem solved - Oh, and a wheel bearing.

We're at 7X,xxx miles - 2002.

Attached Thumbnails Quick car question-04.jpg   Quick car question-03.jpg   Quick car question-10.jpg  

Quick Reply: Quick car question