Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Q: 2 channel amp and dual coil sub?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q: 2 channel amp and dual coil sub?

I picked up a 4 channel amp and a had a dual coil sub in the shed and figured they should go ok. I realise the amp is far too weak for the sub... that aside, a circuit diagram or advice on where the wires should be connected to run the sub from channels 3 & 4 would be AWSOME!

I have everything else sussed, it's just a pointer on wiring to join two channels in one amp to two coils in one sub.

There is no connection to motorbikes except that the car it is going in is parked next to my cbr

Old 12-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Retired Admin
Default RE: Q: 2 channel amp and dual coil sub?

A standard for bridging is left negative and right positive....on a 4 channel you have fronts and rears so pick one set and bridge like that. L- & R+

Old 12-16-2006, 12:49 AM

1st you need to check the rating on your amp to see if its 2ohm-1 ohm capatible.when you bridge it to 1 sub it will bring the ohms down to 1 ohm in a normal bridge.on a four channel amp there s several ways to bridge it.If you linked the amp maybe we could help you more.

if your amp isn't 2/1 ohm stable you might blow some channels

Old 12-16-2006, 01:16 AM

They are linked... click on "4 channel amp" and "dual coil sub".

Also, if I "left negative and right positive", what do I do with the right negative and left positive? do they get joined as well or are they left empty?

Thanks fellas, I wasn't expecting much since this *is* a motorcycle forum, but that's what off topic is for!

Old 12-16-2006, 10:33 AM

they are left empty, dual coils should mean you have 2 sets of hookups on the sub. Bridge 2 channels and hook it up on one set bridge the other 2 on the other side. Should bring impediance to 4 ohms.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:16 PM

y did u get a 4 ch amp and 1 sub. 4 ch amp is more for the 4 speakers in the car/whatever u have, not subs.
can i see links to the things u bought plz. how many watts is the sub and the amp both briged and not briged.
i guess it would work.

off the topic sort of but is ther a sport bike out ther with a amp and sub out ther. i would like to see it. it would be cool but wieard. 8 in sub maby molded into back tail. sick.

good look, James

Old 12-16-2006, 07:08 PM

http://www.wikihow.com/Bridge-an-Amplifier

MDFF

Old 12-16-2006, 09:50 PM

ORIGINAL: bushmasterAR15

they are left empty, dual coils should mean you have 2 sets of hookups on the sub. Bridge 2 channels and hook it up on one set bridge the other 2 on the other side. Should bring impediance to 4 ohms.
bushmasterAR15, does this mean I could treat the dual coil sub astwo speakers and run channel 3 to one coil and channel 4 to the other one?

I've downloaded the user manuals and have wired everything up now

I've wires the dual coils in series to convert the 4ohm coils to an 8ohm load because the amp can't handle 2 ohm load (if the sub was wired in parallel)

I've bridged the amp so channels 3&4 run the sub and channel 1 runs a 6x9 and channel 2 runs a 6x9

One day I'll get an 800W RMS monoblock to run the sub then the 4 channel amp can run 4 speakers like it's supposed to.

anyways, thanks for the tips

The amp is linked in the first post... here it is again without being disguised under text... http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/18426.html

Old 12-17-2006, 01:37 AM

most amps have a little drawing on where to bridge also in a four channel amp make sure you hook it up on the channels for the lows so you can get some rump outa that sub

Old 12-17-2006, 03:03 AM

dude i looked at your amp.don't use that good jl on a sub.That amp isn't going to push the sub good enough and will sound like garbage.if you bridge 1 and 2 together and hook it to one side of the speaker. then hook 3 and 4 together and hook it to other side of the speaker.you will only be pushing 220watts rms @2ohms which is 110 rms per voicecoil.You are going to kill that amp.

do this find a cheap 1 channel class d sub amp and bridge that.

Quick Reply: Q: 2 channel amp and dual coil sub?