Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Pulled over for no rear reflector?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled over for no rear reflector?

A bunch of riders in my area are getting pulled over for not having a rear red reflector. Has anyone else ever been pulled over for not having a reflector?

Old 07-08-2007, 01:11 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Default RE: Pulled over for no rear reflector?

wow thats really picky. Heck i didnt even know it was a law.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:51 AM

i believe your vehicle is supposed to reflect red from the rear, and rear side, and yellow from the front side, hence the factory reflectors. people who remove the factory shovels often replace their license plate screws with red reflector bolts (about $1 each at cycle gear) that attach with wing nuts. it does seem pretty picky though - isn't your tail light on? that ought to be red too, so why are they looking for reflectors? better appease them though, and splurge on the $2 reflectors. can't make a license plate look much worse than it already does.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:57 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

yep its a law here in CA. and yes those red reflectors that you can buy from cycle shops that screw on to the plate with a wing nut will work and yes they are legal. you also need to have a licence plate light . but idk about mi so check with your local laws to know exactly whats up

Old 07-08-2007, 02:24 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. You need rear reflectors in ALL states. That's why you use those license plate screws with the reflectors on them.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:21 AM
VP

+1 on them license plate screws... I gots em

Old 07-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Banned

There's a reason they're gettin' down on sportbikes.

I just had a buddy killed in a pursuit 1 week ago. He was a county deputy who waspursuing a sportbikethat was "taunting" a city cop while he was conducting a traffic stop by doing wheelies past him.

My buddy Charlie lost control of his cruiser when he crested a hill and there was a semi-tractor blocking the intersection. He swerved to avoid it and hit a traffic control box. He was resusitated on the scene and then life-flighted to KU Medical Center where he fought for his life in an induced coma for 5 days before ultimately losing his life.

It is officially open season on sportbikes in Missouri, at least the Northwest part anyway. I'm going to go ahead and assume that no tickets have been issued for the reflectors - they're only gathering information about you and your bike.

As an aside, I'd like to say that I am only sharing this so as to explain to Missouri riders why they may expect a little more strict observation from the authorities. I do not, in any way, want to hear anyone here even begin to speculate faults and where they may lie or the ideaology behind more strict enforcement for motorcycles.

He was my friend, he had a baby boy and a beautiful wife. We all miss him and again, please don't begin any sort of debate on why this or that happened. Leave it as someone lost their life and now Missouri riders just need to be a bit more aware of their actions and how the public percieves them.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:26 PM

Yep, it is open season in Missouri/Kansas right now. From what I've heard a couple of guys in the Olathe area are taunting cops by doing wheelies and running. So their soultion was to pull over everyone and photograph bikes to create some sort of data base. The excuse or probable cause was no reflector. I put on a smoke clear alternatives so I don't have any red on the back end....going to get some reflector screws asap.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:42 PM
VP

sorry about your friend kid

Old 07-09-2007, 08:05 AM

I had no idea reflectors were necessary. I figured it had an illuminated tail light and headlight and working turn signals, so all was OK. Guess I'll have to check my state as I don't need to get pulled over.

Just looked up the law here and this is what I found for OHIO

4513.06 Red reflectors required.

(A) Every new motor vehicle sold after September 6, 1941, and operated on a highway, other than a commercial tractor, to which a trailer or semitrailer is attached shall carry at the rear, either as a part of the tail lamps or separately, two red reflectors meeting the requirements of this section, except that vehicles of the type mentioned in section 4513.07 of the Revised Code shall be equipped with reflectors as required by the regulations provided for in said section.
Every such reflector shall be of such size and characteristics and so maintained as to be visible at night from all distances within three hundred feet to fifty feet from such vehicle.
(B) Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in section 4513.99 of the Revised Code.
Effective Date: 01-01-2004[/align][/align]
I would believe that a simple check with a flashlight at night would show if the reflectors are built into the tail light as they are with automobiles. I can't think for a minute that motorcycle mfgs would screw up so bad that they wouldn't include something that is required by law.

Quick Reply: Pulled over for no rear reflector?