Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

problems with mounted ipod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with mounted ipod?

First off, lets not turn this thread into a "should or shouldn't listen to music while riding" thread please.

I recently bought a 30GB Ipod video, and i was considering mounting it to the top of my tank or bars with some industrial grade velcro, so that when it's not mounted you can't really tell it's there, and so i can access it when i need to. However, i think i've heard of people having issues with the ipod locking up after riding a lil while, most likely because it's not a flash-type drive. Any input from anyone that's got one?

Thanks!!

-Adam

Old 10-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Default RE: problems with mounted ipod?

I'd put it on a mounting device then just straight velcro'ing it to the bike.

I keep my mp3 in my jacket pocket sometimes in my tank bag (but it gets hot there).

I'd see if there is a RAM mount out for them.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:39 PM

If it has a hard drive in it (the non flash memory type) the vibrations from the bike will make it freeze up, and eventually destroy your hard drive.

Most Joe Rocket jackets have an "Ipod" pocket with a audio cable port built in. I think that's the best place for them because your body isolates them from the vibration.

just make sure to prepare your playlists in advance because trying to shuffle through your songs while riding would really be retarded.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: WhiteDealershipRice

Most Joe Rocket jackets have an "Ipod" pocket with a audio cable port built in. I think that's the best place for them because your body isolates them from the vibration.

just make sure to prepare your playlists in advance because trying to shuffle through your songs while riding would really be retarded.
+1 I have a Joe Rocket jacket, there is a inside pocket and place for the headphones to come out. I've thought about getting a backpack with the iPod controls on the strap.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:37 PM

My mp3 has a 30 gig harddrive and its never had a hiccup. Going on 3 years now. Must be that mac thing.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:39 AM

dude, don't strap it to the frame.

any vibration while a hard drive is being read/written will destroy it in time.

+1 on putting it in the jacket.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:52 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Hard drive based iPods fail because of jarring, vibrations and shock. So I wouldn't recommend mounting it to the bike. In a pocket, fine, but not attatched to the bike. Too many vibrations.

2. Being able to access the iPod while riding is dangerous (I'm not saying don't listen to music) but please don't turn into one of those riders that play with the iPod while they ride.

3. Make your favorite playlist, preset your volume and put the iPod in your pocket. if you need to, you can push the next/back buttons through your jacket if you have to.

Personally, I would pick up an iPod shuffle (they're cheap and won't break as easily on you.) and you can just clip it on your jacket and go. I had an 8GB iPod Nano (the older tall ones) and rode to Cali on the highway with it. It was great, and made the time fly.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Retired Super Moderator

Thanks for the feedback all!! See how nice a thread is when noone gets flamed? lol!!!

-Adam

Old 10-14-2007, 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: isolated1523

See how nice a thread is when noone gets flamed? lol!!!

-Adam
you didn't give it enough time...

bluefox smells like old people! [sm=laughat.gif]

Old 10-14-2007, 11:54 AM

Honestly get the shuffle and clip it to your pants or whatever. Since you just bought the 30gig simple throw it on the shuffle mode as you ride. Dont be a squid and mess with it while you ride.

Quick Reply: problems with mounted ipod?