Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Powder coating rims?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder coating rims?

Has anybody done this? I kinda want to but dont know alot about powder coating. I called around and got some prices and it looks like the going rate is any where from 85 to a 110 a rim. That is a lot less then I was expecting so it made me wonder if it would be lasting finish.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Powder coating rims?

It will last longer and be more durable than paint; just keep em clean and take care of them. Wash them off then polish them out with micro fiber to avoid running the dirt into the surface. Plus, it looks a lot better IMO. I got mine both done for $70, but it was a buddy who did them so I got hooked up. Definitely worth it to me. If I had picks of them I'd post.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:17 PM
RCR

powder coating is the only way to go. Paint will not hold up on the rims.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:34 PM

So what do they have on them from Honda? Some careless person at the shop I used to go to scratched the crap out of my rear rim down to the metal. Not saying that the finish should have held up to a scratch like that, just curious to if it was powder coated.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:36 AM

I think it is paint from Honda to be honest.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:23 PM

Weigh your rims before getting them done so we can see the mass difference.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Registered Users

i think the coating on the stock OEM rims is a powdercoat as well...

powder comes in all flavors, heavy/light coat, matte/gloss, etc....i think what is on the stock rims is a light matte coat...it's stronger than paint and it has a thickness to it....so i am 90% sure it's powder, it's just matte and matte powder holds dirt really good which is why the black OEM rims look so dingy all the time...they are just really hard to keep clean...thus the opposite why gloss stuff tends to look so nice...you can easily just wipe it down with some polish and they look awesome because dirt isn't going to cling to it like the matte surface, especially if you get mirror like gloss...

as for weight differences, it is negligble at best...but it really depends on the coat the coater puts on it...it's nothing that would actually affect performance in any way...you are talking milimeters in thickness here....so i don't think it's even worth noting a weight change...unless you are talking a few grams if that...

finally, powder is the only way to go...look around and you can find good deals...tripage.com does good work at good prices and he doesn't even need you to take out the bearings to do them....i am likely sending him mine this week...

good luck

Old 01-08-2008, 07:02 PM

my question here is:

Do i have to send them to some one?? or can i drop them off at any paint/bodyshop? or what?I would like to have mine done as well...

Old 01-08-2008, 07:12 PM

ORIGINAL: YellownBlack

my question here is:

Do i have to send them to some one?? or can i drop them off at any paint/bodyshop? or what?I would like to have mine done as well...

Gotta call and see if they do it. Pretty simple. Sarcasm yes.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:06 AM

So if the stock rims are powder coated, why does paint stripper remove the finish? All the info I have read on powder coating claims that the coating is really durable and hard to remove. Well, we stripped (whatever the coating was) off of the lip on my buddies 929 really easy, almost too easy.

Quick Reply: Powder coating rims?