Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

popo

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popo

my new bike has blue neons and i didnt even think that they might be illegal. im sure it depends on the state(ohio) but does anyone know if they're allowed?

Old 12-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: popo

Best option is ask your local bikeshop - they should know.
Don't ask the Popo - most of ours here don't even know what's legal and what's not !

Old 12-05-2008, 02:39 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i believe in every state it is Illegal to have red or blue lights on your vehicle. they are designateted for emergency use only. any other color is deemed distracting except for yellow or white . but again check with local laws to make sure.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shadow

I don't think asking the shop will be the best option.. these peoples will sell all sort of illegal things to rake profit. Ask the people whom you fear for catching you with it..

Old 12-05-2008, 06:02 AM

Specifications for spotlights and auxiliary driving lights.

(A) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than one spotlight and every lighted spotlight shall be so aimed and used upon approaching another vehicle that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam will be directed to the left of the prolongation of the extreme left side of the vehicle, nor more than one hundred feet ahead of the vehicle.
Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than three auxiliary driving lights mounted on the front of the vehicle. The director of public safety shall prescribe specifications for auxiliary driving lights and regulations for their use, and any such lights which do not conform to said specifications and regulations shall not be used.
(B) Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in section 4513.99 of the Revised Code. Effective Date: 01-01-2004
You best bet would to call ur Highway Patrol station and see if they can clarify.

I searched around http://codes.ohio.gov/orc but couldnt ever find a cut & dry answer to ur question. Check out site (or any site containing Ohio Penal Code) and see if you can solve it yourself, or call your local Highway Patrol station.

THe best bet would be to keep them off til further clarification. In my opinion I would bet they were illegal to use anytime the bike is on the road. Parking, & private property is where u can use them..

good luck
[/align]

Old 12-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im so glad this wasnt an FTP thread...i was worried thats what it was gonna be when i looked at the title [8D]

Old 12-05-2008, 08:30 AM

Until you find out I always thought (atleast here in pa) that they are legal but cannot be used while operating it, only in parking lots when the bike is parked, not sure I would definitely ask.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:50 AM

HAvoc is right. Blue and Red are illegal in every state on anything but an emergency vehicle. Green is in most states as well. Any other auxiliary light while the vehicle is in motion or on a roadway is illegal except your function lights. In FL, neons are a moving violation ticket which makes it even more expensive.

But if you are parked on private property, meaning your house, a business, whatever, usually you can have them on.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Retired Admin, January 2008 ROTM, Lord of Neon & L.E.D.s

ORIGINAL: dinez74

ORIGINAL: Shadow

I don't think asking the shop will be the best option.. these peoples will sell all sort of illegal things to rake profit. Ask the people whom you fear for catching you with it..

I actually take offense to that, since I do own a local shop for this.

Laws are by state. I used to live in PA and drove through many areas of Ohio. There were a few areas between Akron and Canton where I pulled up next to cops with my lights on my car (Pictured below) and didn't receive anything but a "nice job look" from the police. This is the only thing Ohio laws state. Take your chances if you wish, but your best bet is to not turn them on while on public areas. Private roads, parking lots etc are acceptable.

Ohio

"ยง 4513.17 Number of lights permitted; direction of beam; flashing, oscillating or rotating lights.
Text of Statute
(A) Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with headlights also is equipped with any auxiliary lights or spotlight or any other light on the front thereof projecting a beam of an intensity greater than three hundred candle power, not more than a total of five of any such lights on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when the vehicle is upon a highway.
( Any lighted light or illuminating device upon a motor vehicle, other than headlights, spotlights, signal lights, or auxiliary driving lights, that projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than three hundred candle power, shall be so directed that no part of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than seventy-five feet from the vehicle. "

Also here is a reply to a question posed to the Ohio State Highway patrol:

"What colors and types (under body, in-car, etc.) of neon lights are legal?

Lights must not rotate, oscillate, or flash, but state law does not prohibit the use of colored neon lights under your car/bike as long as they do not interfere or blind other drivers.

Ohio Revised Code, section 4513.17 prohibits flashing lights on motor vehicles with the exception of emergency vehicles, turn signals, and hazard flashers.

As long as the neon lights are less than 300 candle power they are not in violation of any State law. If the lights are more than 300 candle power they must be directed to strike the pavement the vehicle sets upon at a distance of no more than 75 feet. The lights can not exceed 500 candle power. Colored lights, such as neon lights around a license plate, could be illegal if the light illuminates the plate and changes the colors of the plate. State law requires a white light to illuminate the rear license plate."

Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

LJ,wouldnt it up to the officers discretion if the lights were a distraction to other drivers ? so wether the lights were 300+/- or not he could say his judgement percieved it to be hazardous? we deal with alot of that here in cali.

Quick Reply: popo