Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Police Auctions

Old 07-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police Auctions

Anyone have any experience with buying bikes at police auctions. I know that you can't start them up so it is no telling what condition it is in. But I am thinking if you get something for under 2K then you dont feel so bad putting money into it to fix it up.

I just want to know if any of you with experience think its worth it.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

I'd be interested in them provided they had a clean title. I know a guy on a local forum that drives up to Dallas twice a month and buys like 8 bikes and resells them in houston. Im sure he makes great money and he's even selling 1000cc 08's for 4k or less. granted 90% are wrecked but not very badly at all

Old 07-15-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by RojerLockless
I'd be interested in them provided they had a clean title. I know a guy on a local forum that drives up to Dallas twice a month and buys like 8 bikes and resells them in houston. Im sure he makes great money and he's even selling 1000cc 08's for 4k or less. granted 90% are wrecked but not very badly at all
I wish I knew my way around a bike better because that is something I would really love to do. I know the basics and I am pretty good with maintenance but I never had a big problem with my bike that I fixed personally.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 954rr off a guy that bought it at a police auction and couldn't fix it when he got home. Didn't know much about bikes when he got it. My advise if you do it, stick with one brand I have only ever bought wrecked honda's except 2 GS500's. The way they are is constructed is all the same basic way. plus some parts interchange. For your first few times just get one with a clean title. Salvage titles can be a pain.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Todd84
Salvage titles can be a pain.
How is salvage really any different from a clear title? I mean i know that just says 'bike is wrecked' but it's still legal?.. And is 'salvage' and 'reconstructed' the same? Or is one wrecked & the other fixed up? It confuses me

Old 07-19-2009, 12:30 AM

salvage means the bike was totalled and hasn't been inspected by your state and isn't allowed to be re registered

Until is becomes:

reconstructed/rebuilt means that is was a former salvage title which now is allowed to be registered and put on the road legally.

In Maine, it is really easy to get a salvage title into a rebuilt title. Especially if you have the insurance companies report because you have the list of required things to be fixed for the state to reissue the title. You can have a professional do the work and file for the title for you or you can do the work and have a mechanic sign the form to get the new title.

Usually its not a big deal...A lot easier than a car because doesnt have as many features that a essential for road use.

But buyer beware on purchasing a salvage bike. make sure its a good deal and you can fix it.

also the resale value will be a lot less so factor that in to you purchase price

many insurance companies won't fully insure a rebult bike, so that is another consideration.

Check your LOCAL LAWS

Old 07-19-2009, 01:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speedemon636
How is salvage really any different from a clear title? I mean i know that just says 'bike is wrecked' but it's still legal?.. And is 'salvage' and 'reconstructed' the same? Or is one wrecked & the other fixed up? It confuses me
Also remember Salvage doesn't mean it was wrecked. It could've been stolen and than recovered. If the ins pays off the bike prior to its recovery, by law they have to register it as a salvage since they paid it off under the assumption it was a total loss. The bike could be in perfect condition when it gets recovered, but because it is owned by the ins company it is a salvaged bike.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:18 PM

Ahh sweet. Thanks guys!