Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Point to ponder

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 11:36 AM
TEN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Point to ponder

Yesterday I was fortunate enough, due to the weather to get the bike out for a little spin. Let me tell you as always it was absolutely awesome. As I was cruising along, watching other sportbikers enjoying a ride I began to ponder a few things.

Now, before I start, let me clarify a few things. I am a HUGE Honda fan, I have had honda three-wheelers, dirt bikes and street bikes since I was a kid. I currently have a '02 954 that I totally love. That being said, I know I can expect a few flames....but here it goes.

Honda is one of the biggest motor companies in the world. They have developed some of the best cars, motorcycles, outboard engines, generators, watercraft, and a vast racing innovations the world has ever seen. They have been able to combine technology with style like no other in the world of sportbikes. But....With all this technology and engine R&D why haven't they turned the CBR1000RR into an absolute beast. Now wait, don't get me wrong, that bike is an awesome, awesome, awesome machine, and I mean absolutely no offense to you 1K owners....hell I wish I had one. And Yes, I know there is more to racing that raw ponies to the rear wheel. It just seems to me that with everything Honda has done with motorcycles and engines that they would build such a machine that would come closer in power numbers to that of the Kawi, zuki, and Yammi. All of which are pulling close to 170HP...give or take. You know they could build a machine that could top 175 to 180HP, instead they stay satisified at high 150s or low 160s. As far as handling and overall engine durability, no one will argue that honda is tops. I know that this thought seems to be rather narrow, but, like I said before, it was a random thought to ponder as I was riding. Hopefully it will start some good conversation.

Ok, ok...I know it's coming....flame on!!!

Old 01-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Point to ponder

Shouldn’t be any flaming... you're entitled to your opinion.

I like Hondas as well... but I see your point. Most of the time, manufactures produce alike products. I wasn't aware of the huge difference in HP numbers on the liter bikes. When I looked at the 600's... they were all kinda close. And when it came down to that... what's the difference in a few tenths of a second on the streets to me? But 160 to 180... that's a hell of a jump.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:59 PM

For all there dues i`ve ridden with riders of other said machinery and I really don`t think they have anything close to 180hp, or if they did atleast it didn`t work when they opened there throttles ? ?

P.S Mine Dyno`ed at 152 just thought you might have been pondering on that

Old 01-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple reasons, both maybes. First, Honda may be wary of government restrictions and is using self-restraint to avoid them. There have been threats from European goverenments to pass statutory horsepower limits in the past. Second, Honda may be of the opinion that giving 180 horsepower rockets to anyone with ten grand or so is an irresponsible action that could well lead to lawsuits. Given the tendency to sue over nearly anything in the U.S., that's a good attitude to have.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:25 PM
TEN

Yeah, the HP differences are pretty big apparently.

The new Gixxers claim 170s.....they say up to 178. no way. Probably high 160s. Oh, and the bike has a dry weight of 365lbs.

The Yammis claim 180....but that is with ram air, so unless you are getting some serious speed, you won't notice as much except with lower speeds/ city riding. hence there lower dyno numbers. with out the ram air assist...I believe they are still in the low 160s. 381lbs dry weight

The Ninja ZX10 claims mid 170s....probably more like low 170s...possibly even high 160s.

The CBR1000RR...honda claims 160. So I would definately beleive lower to mid 150s. and it weighs in at 396lbs!!!

In any case, Honda is still a stud in my book. And eventually I will own another honda beast to go along with my current ride. It just made me question why honda hasn't done anything to close this gap. Side note: The normal street rider would probaly not ever know the difference between 150HP and 175HP. Nor would the normal street rider ever be able to come close to riding such a bike to it's potential. That being said, everyone likes to wonder occasionally.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:45 PM

The Honda UK website.............ClickClaims 170 HP.

Just Thought I`d clarify that.

Also don`t forget manufacturers HP figures are quoted from the crank not at the rear wheel, which i`m sure we all know you `loose` some hp in between.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:15 PM
L8X

unless you're a pro racer, i dont think most of use could tell the diff anyways...

Old 01-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: TEN

Side note: The normal street rider would probaly not ever know the difference between 150HP and 175HP. Nor would the normal street rider ever be able to come close to riding such a bike to it's potential.
i totally agree with this statement. you would have to be redlining at 150 mph on a regular basis to notice the difference. that being said, i think that the honda engineers designed the bike to be ridden at the highest level possible. not to win dyno wars. has anyone ever considered that there is such a thing as too much power? has anyone else ridden the current hp king (kawasaki zx-10r)? that thing is almost to the point of uncontrollable. it wheelies way to easily and headshake is horrible. maybe the 150 rwhp range is where perfect balance between power and handling is achieved. anyway, of the current liter bikes, the cbr feels the best to me. it inspires confidence not found on the other savage beasts. just look around the racetracks. there are more hondas overall than any other manufacturer. but what do i know. i ride a bike with about 125 hp and i sometimes think it's too much for me!

Old 01-17-2006, 08:23 PM

Not saying i`m a racing god or anythin daft but i could tell the difference. The ZX-10R is wilder because of the geometry of the bike.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:12 PM

Quite interesting, I had no idea the gixxers were that light. Geez, it's lighter than my 600! I've always had Honda for all my off-road, two-wheel adventures, quads and all. I think it's good that Honda limits themselves on increasing HP, it's kind of an industry individuality.

Quick Reply: Point to ponder