Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Pocket Bikes Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pocket Bikes Anyone?

Have any of you guys ever hada pocket bike? I don't know much about them, but they look like something fun to mess around with. I see a million of them on Craigslist for under $200, and was considering buying. I know they are 2 cycle, but other than that, how are they different from ful size bikes in their design?

Old 09-12-2007, 08:09 AM
Banned
Default RE: Pocket Bikes Anyone?

Pocket bikes answer a question nobody is asking. Unless you find a group of people racing them in parking lots, they are kinda dopey.

I've looked at a few and they didn't have gearboxes (although some might), they had a centrifugal clutch kinda thing, other than that they seem pretty sophisticated.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:15 AM

A buddy of mine has one that looks like an R1. It's a one-speed bike that tops out around 22 mph. It's fun for about 5 minutes.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:53 AM

Actually, no bull****; I've already lost interest in them. It's not just because of the comments either. I just have a feeling that it's going to be sitting in between my attic next year right next to the RC car I bought and used twice and the RC plane I still haven't assembled.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:15 AM

Yeah, save the cash and fix your bike

Old 09-12-2007, 09:59 AM

I actually read a review on pocket bike racing in Bike magazine that was absolutely hilarious. Pocket bike races are something like episodes of keystone cops, and they apparently result in piles of aching bodies sprawled out all over the track. Apparently the guy who can actually finish the race without wiping out, if indeed there is such a guy in a given race, wins. I've never seen one on TV, but I am dying to. I hope speed channel covers some somewhere.

I would say that there is absolutely no reason to get a pocket bike unless there is a track nearby and regular races, where someone can have it as a hobby and get into the culture of it, spending weekends at the track with other friends who are into pocket bikes. But getting a pocket bike all by your lonesome and then playing around with it by yourself in a parking lot by your house will indeed get boring after 2-3 hours.

Madgreek, I suggest you research pocket bike racing and see if there are any tracks and clubs in your area and go check it out. If so, it could be a fun hobby. Otherwise, don't bother.

Oh, and apparently Valentino Rossi got his start as a kid in pocket bike races. They used to call it kart racing in Europe back when the "karts" cost thousands of dollars.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:16 AM

mini motards are more fun, pocket bikes get boring fast

they make for some good videos though (Rossi lol)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CNd6jjImS0

Old 09-12-2007, 10:59 PM

I like the ones that are bigger than the pockets. There's actually a good company that makes good pocket bikes. Wish I could remember it.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:11 PM

My buddy had a pocket rocket and I cant remember the name. It was italian. But it went 110 mph. No **** I got hurt good on my first ride and never tried again.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:23 AM

Super pocket rocket...110cc -125cc can be street legal...seat height 26inches...looks like any street bike...4 clutch gear box. $600.00

Aye this one says not clutch but there are clutch ones.
http://www.happyscooters.com/110cc-4...27-13fg37.html

There are better selections at other sites for style and colors.

I will buy one later myself.

Quick Reply: Pocket Bikes Anyone?